Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh No!! He's taken it out of the packaging!!!

Not a bad casting, the packaging states it's a 57 Fury when in fact it's more of an amalgamation of both the 57 & 58 Plymouths and closer to a Belvedere or Savoy than the top of the range Fury.

Comparison with a 58 Ertl Belvedere.

In the first comparison pic, you can see that the inner headlamps are slightly smaller than the outer, this is correct for the 57 model as I believe they are turn signal indicators, they were converted to full beam lamps on the 58.

Now look at the lower grill area below the front bumper.

On a 57 Plymouth the slats should be vertical, the Hotwheels has a horizontal grill which is a feature of the 58 Plymouth. The Hood ornament and "V" emblem on the 58 are correct as are the word, "Plymouth" on the edge of the hood and the emblem on the grill on the 57.

But the most evident error, (I'm reluctant to use that word for this comparison) is the fact that on a, "Fury" the side trim should be anodized Gold the trim was silver on the belvedere and Savoy and also on the savoy the trim did not kick up at the rear.

But what I dislike most is the huge gap between the headlights and the top of the front wings.

All in all though, not a bad casting for the price though gets a :thumbsup: from me and as you can tell I'm a bit Anal when it comes to 57\58 Plymouths!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Group Shots!!!

The beige one in the middle is a 58Fury and you can see the gold trim....

Really need to get a diorama going so i can display properly... Ah well stick it on the to do list!!! lol!!!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The red, Ertl version looks alot like the moviecar,
"Christine". some nice group photo's too.
Congratulations on your treasure hunt.
I once opened a 1996 FE VW Dragbus at a diecast show, just to prop it open with a toothpick. the looks on those geeks faces was PRICELESS.
They just couldnt believe I opened one up.
Heck, it was just a seventy nine cent car to me.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Yeah, you'd think Mattel would have gotten it right since they used an employee's car ("Brendon" on the tag) to model it after.

And I wouldn't have any hesitation on opening a '07 or newer regular hunt. They're worth about $3-$5 secondary when out for a month or two and then less after that if it is a non-desirable casting. "Mainline with a green stripe" is an acurate description.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The red, Ertl version looks alot like the moviecar,
"Christine". some nice group photo's too.
Congratulations on your treasure hunt.
I once opened a 1996 FE VW Dragbus at a diecast show, just to prop it open with a toothpick. the looks on those geeks faces was PRICELESS.
They just couldnt believe I opened one up.
Heck, it was just a seventy nine cent car to me.
The similarity to Christine was the reason I bought the red and white one. I've been obsessed with Christine since I first read the book when I was 9yrs old (I'm 33 now!!!) and saw the film soon after. I also have the Blue, Bronze and Christine in 1:18 too.

The turquoise, Green and Pink are 57's and if you look close you can see the vertical slats in the lower grill.

Whilst I respect those collectors who like to keep items in the original packaging it's not for me. At this stage in my collecting career I buy whatever catches my eye and am not really interested in completing sets etc. That may change in the future but for now keeping a model in it's packaging is like ogling a supermodel, delightfull to look at, but if you can't get inside the packaging and have a bit of a play, what's the point?:tongue:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts