Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to ya’ll. I have a hand me down Murry that I need some help with.
Murry 42591x8b with a 17hp Briggs & Stratton. I’ve had it 6 months now, and has been a challenge to use and repair since there apparently no manuals (paper or digital) to guide me on operation. A little history since I’ve had it. Once I figured out the secret to starting it, it has run fine, so to speak. I replaced the battery ( I broke one of the terminals off when I was trying to clean off the corrosion) with a little higher cranking amps. I also put a new air filter and both belts. I have found that after I have run it a little while, if I shut it off, it won’t start up again until it cools off. I usually just park it and wait til the next day and it starts right up. The other thing I have learned to deal with is that after running a while, maybe 20+ min, it slows and hesitates if I have to stop and go backwards, or have a sharp turn. Again, I park it and the next day it’s doing fine. I’ve learned to deal with it.
So now the current issue. I get it stared ok, but after only a few minutes, 3-5; it just slows down and stops. Cranks but won’t start up again. I think it gets flooded. I cleaned the carb with carb and choke cleaner, But after 3 attempts at thinking its good to go, it slows and dies again, ugh.
so I’m looking for some advice on what to do now to get it running again. A neighbor said the not starting up again problem could be the coil, I haven’t changed it yet. Also, in general, it has a problem with speed. It’s like it won’t go into second gear, and it almost feels like the belt is slipping until it starts to engage the it takes off!
ill check in here later to see if there are any replies. Thanks for reading and any advice. Ken

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You need to do some diagnostics. I would suggest:
Take the air filter cover and filter out, when it starts to die spray a shot of brake cleaner in the intake to see if it recovers. If it does, then you know it's fuel starvation. If not,
Test to see if it's losing spark. We do this with inline testers, you can get these on Amazon: 752-329 In-line Ignition Tester
Dying when hot with delayed hot re-starting is usually a loss of spark, but not always. I've seen a bad fuel pump provide the same symptom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll try both of those. i want to think that one of the times it died on me, I of coarse tried to start it again, I ended up flooding it. Ugh. So I just left it there, next morning it fired right up and I pulled into the shop before heading to work. If it is loss of spark, could it be the coil?
As soon as I can figure out how to post some pics, I will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts