Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going thru kits in my attic and ran across my Jupiter 2 kit from this movie that I had started in 98' when the movie came out. I had made a crude attempt at installing some lighting in the kit, and I guess I lost interest and put it away. The kit is actually made pretty well, and I think with my improved skills (a decade later) it will make a nice buildup. I was inspired after seeing that builder from Japans Yahoo site a few weeks back, he really made the kit look good with his crisp paint and detail work. So, I broke down all the parts I had glued, will start with some fresh (and more correct) paintwork, and go from there. I also ran across the large kit of the Robot from the same movie, stored away in another box, I didn't even remember having it! I will build him to so I can display them together. Is there any good referrence sites or books featuring the ship? Does anyone know who actually designed them by any chance?

I also recently dug out a bunch of my sons space toys, and I have the toy ship, the bubble fighter, and some figures. I also found the original boxes for most of it! You don't even see these toys on ebay hardly. Are they fairly hard to find? I would appreciate any input. Oh, I also dug out the VHS of the movie and started watching it last night for reference. The sets are actually pretty cool, and the movie isn't so bad......Anyone ever attempt to do the "Jupiter 1" launch tower and ship?

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Detail pics of the movie robot are few and far between. I've got a few good shots squirreled away on my hard drive. Send me your e-mail addy and I'll get 'em over to you.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
There was a 'Making of' book fo rth eLIS movie which had some good Robot pictures (along with sets & props) and a Blueprint of the filming miniature ship- hard to read scans of the actual blueprints.
I always wanted to see the model kit modified to show the weird hyperdrive panels extended- it would be quite a project...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Tim

The DVD is a very good reference for the model. The exterior is pretty good compared to the ship in the movie. It is also capable of being lighted with a reasonable amount of work. I have a kit packed away which I marked up where all of the formation formation and spot lights. Note the hyperdrive engines do not extend in the model. They are tucked in close to the ship. If you want to extend them, you will need to kit bash the model.

The "bridge" is no where close to right. It would require nearly a complete redo in order to get it right.

I have the DVD of the film, but it is also packed away right now, and I will admit that it will be a whille before I get things unpacked. I can check the trading card set tonight and see if there are any pictures of the ship in it.

The robot is also a good copy of the one from the movie. The only drawback is it is missing the light over the one shoulder. That would have to be scratch built. It could also be lit up without an excessive amount of work, although it will be delicate work to modify the control panel that Dr. Smith used to reprogram the robot.

The trading card set does have several good pictures of the robot.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I checked the trading card set - there is one or two very good shots of the robot. The best version is on the promo cards. I also noticed something strange - some of the cards and sell sheets show the spot light over the robots right shoulder, the others have it over the left shoulder. I think some of the cards have a negative image, unless the robot had two.

As for the Jupiter 2 - only 3 cards show the new ship. One is a sparkled foil embossed card, so forget about using it as a reference. The second is a small distance shot, so it is no help. The third is a close up of maybe the front third of the ship with debris and explosions all around so it is not the best of shots either.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dragged out my VHS tape last night....Pause...reverse...pause....reverse...pause...reverse....:rolleyes:

Probably the best shots of the ship are when they are navigating around the Proteus when they find it. You can pretty much view the sides, top and bottom of it. I sat there with the remote and a Sharpee fine tip, and marked the light locations on my hull. Most of them already have a depression mark molded in, but there are several that don't have molded locations, so I will drill them all out. There is some "inner" hull lighting, that is, in the recessed areas where the hyper drive stores, which I think I will just use my own judgement on. I don't care if t's an "exact" copy, since I can't even locate any info on the actual models at all. So, close is good enough. The things a bit lifeless anyways as a model, so I may even perk up the lighting a bit more! It's a shame there is just no available poop on who did the props. I also noted the Robot appears to be a Matte Black in color, why the kit and the toys are molded in bright blue is a mystery too!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I will have to dig out the Making of book, but IIRC it does go into detail about who made the models and has some reference shots of the ship. THe Robot I believe is a dark blue, but the VHS transfer sometimes alters the colors.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In the trading cards the robot is more of a navy blue. He appears to be gloss blue because the color varys in the light. I can scan one of the cards if you would like.

If I remember correctly the lighting is also very clear as the ship heads towards the sun. The hull detailing I think very clear as they start to maneuver through the planet.

When I unpack the DVD (read this statement as it could take months), I will do screen captures of both the robot and the Jupiter.

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
I got to see the robot at the L.A Shrine Comic convention a few months before the movie came out,the whole cast was there and they made the robot walk and talk,and light up.They did a great job with that prop.The color was a little lighter than Navy Blue,maybe with a touch of white,and it was a semi gloss paint job.I just unpacked my stash of these,I've got a few of each.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I liked the movie version of Lost in Space! I choose to think about it as an alternate reality to the tv show. Both coexitsing in differing dimensions. I also liked the new Jupiter 2. I wonder what ever happened to the original filming model ? If Irwin were alive today it probably would have been in half a dozen unproduced tv pilots by now or doing Alka Stelzer commercials! Lol! ;)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I liked the movie version of Lost in Space! I choose to think about it as an alternate reality to the tv show. Both coexitsing in differing dimensions. I also liked the new Jupiter 2. I wonder what ever happened to the original filming model ? If Irwin were alive today it probably would have been in half a dozen unproduced tv pilots by now or doing Alka Stelzer commercials! Lol! ;)
Or Santa would be riding it in a Norelco shaver commercial!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Spoke with Steve Begg today (he's the VFX Suervisor on a film we are working on) and he has no idea what happened to the LIS models after the wrap.......

Come to think of it, I haven't seen them around either......

Gene

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
I'm one of the few people who wasn't completely offended by the film; it wasn't perfect, but it could have been much worse. Besides, even when the television series was first-run I thought it was pretty silly after the first season, so I accepted the film as a "What if they took it seriously" approach. Well, semi-seriously anyway.

Although I always liked the Jupiter 2 from the series, I thought the film version was interesting. At the very least, it didn't look like every other film starship we'd seen. I wish I could say the same for the Robot which, IMO, is just another example of Hollywood's "bigger is better" mentality. Even Dick Tufeld's voice work couldn't save that monstrosity. I much preferred the "revised" version seen at the end of the film, which was far more reminiscent of the series B9.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think AMT missed a big opportunity by not including alternate parts so that modelers could build either version of the film Robot?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts