Hobbyist Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Hi Mark,

My #008 is positioned on the bellhousing/transmission area,it is just a touch off center but just the tip of the 8 is even with the edge of the trans pan,it is very clearly 008 ( I even asked others what the number reads ).
I'm going to get a pic available as soon as I can.
Thanks for everything you do Mark.

Rob,Rick,
Please understand I'm not making a big whining fuss,I won't be calling customer service,bad mouthing JL, cause the truth is I love these hurst olds no matter what numbers would or would not be on them,the car turned out great and I like the tenth/white tire combo.
Just hoping someone can light a fire under QC's butt in China.
Mark knows the best way around a thing like this so he'll handle it I'm sure.
Please don't forget I'm an advocate of numbered cars also.:wave:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
robmcin said:
Walter,

I wasn't thinking of you here, sorry if you thought I was... although you have been kinda whiney about the PSR cars.. :tongue:
Your right,those psr's have stressed me out 3 years in a row,at least I can say I won one in 02...ahhh,that felt good to say:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
OK gang, here's the deal as I understand it (and as the Dinner Surprise Car was my program this year, as it also was last year -- the total white lightning Deuce Roadster-- I think I can answer this with some authority):

First of all, the Surprise Dinner Car this year, just as last year (2003) was an add-on to all the things we did for Lightning Fest (the Fest Car, Fest Slot Car, PSR, Fest Pace Car) but it was a freebie for all who received one, that is, it was provided free of charge from Playing Mantis, as was the first Surprise Dinner Car for Lightning Fest 2003--thanks need to go to Tom Lowe for both, as they were his idea.

The specification sheet I developed for the Surprise Dinner Car Hurst Olds did specify that tires on one side of the car would be tampo'ed with White Lightning, while the other side would be Tampo'ed Tenth Anniversary. So far, so good.

It may well be that this production (this car was done as an add-on run to Classic Gold-2-24 which had the debut of the '83 Hurst Olds in it) wound up more hurried than would be the normal practice. There were some delays in production due to the changeover of systems and people from Playing Mantis to RC2, however the cars (as are all JL cars still) were produced by our same vendor who started with Playing Mantis at the outset in 1994, and established his own factory, doing primarily JL cars alone, in 2002.

I received, in the office, pre-production samples of the Surprise Car in early August, and there were no problems with the tire imprints, they were set up exactly the way in which we wanted them done, one style on the right side, the other style on the left, all of them. About 3 weeks afterward, we received production samples, on the blister card, again these were properly done. These samples were not serialized, as that would have screwed up the numbering sequence. It appears, however that in production, coming at the time of year when production ramps up considerably, due to shipping for 4th quarter (Christmas Season) sales, that some confusion came about on the production floor--workers either not knowing that the tires were to be lined up in a certain way, or in the fast pace (on any given day there are thousands upon thousands of JL cars going down the production lines) of production, some forgot to look at the tires to make sure they were on the same sides. Oh well, I wish it were otherwise, but that is the best answer I can give. At any rate, there were always to be two different tire tampo prints as noted above, so I'd be more than willing to bet that if your car has White Lightning in front and Tenth Anniversary in the rear on the side you see in the blister, then on the other side it probably says Tenth Anniversary in the front, and White Lightning in the rear--but I'm not gonna take mine out of the blister to test that theory.

As for the obviously repeated serial numbers, serial numbers almost certainly are printed in a machine that cycles that number up one digit each time, unless it hiccups! We do know that just 175 cars were delivered, so if #175 is the highest number, and the printer didn't cycle properly, then it stands to reason that if there are several #8's out there, probably #9, or some other number or numbers don't exist.

Again, I wish there was some other explanation I could offer, but I can't--as I am 13,000 miles away from the factory, so I was not there to monitor any of the production.

As for Quality Control or Quality Assurance, believe me when I say that LT1Tony, Mac Ragan, PMS485 and I all look at ALL the samples, be they pre-production or production (awaiting our approval to ship!) very carefully. While pre-production samples sometimes have errors which we make sure are corrected, it's not at all that often we see any errors or quality issues in production, blister-carded samples--and when we do, believe me, we do bring them to the attention of the factory immediately. Whenever the factory gets an unfavorable report from us regarding any samples, they do work very, very hard to correct the problem--most of the few errors we see you guys will never see, because we don't let them get out if we can help it. As it stands now, PM people are the final judge of all samples of JL cars with regard to proper assembly, quality paint and finishes, and the completeness, accuracy and quality of all sprayed and tampo'ed detailing, and it is my expectation that this will continue.

So, now you have it, an inside look into the process these little pearl-white Olds Cutlasses went through to get here, on time, for the Dinner.

Cheers!

Art

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks for the reply Art regarding the Lightning Fest Dinner Olds.

And more importantly, Thanks for the assurance regarding the quality control issues.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Hi Art,

Thanks much for the in depth explanation of what could have happened,I find it very interesting to get an inside view so to speak.
I really liked the idea of white lightning and 10th annv tires,I also like the idea of PM being able to use the same vendor since the begining and a factory primarly for JL:thumbsup: .

Just so you know,when I mention QC I'm referring to the production line QC,I know PM can't go through every case and inspect every car so you guys have to rely on China's QC.
I'm sure the pre production samples that are sent to PM are gone over with a fine tooth comb before they hit the states.

Thanks again for the explanation and a great big thanks to Tom Lowe for the dinner surprize cars...loved the duece roadster and feel even fonder about the olds.

Anyway I need to go give my olds some TLC,that poor car was abused it's the victim of a machine hiccup:wave:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
cool said:
Walter, They are Twins,:p You make Sure you take Good Care of Her!!!:wave:
She's part of the family now Joe,lots of TLC,we should probably feel honored to have some rare twins in our possession:thumbsup:

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
It would be nice to own twins. I wonder what lettering is exposed on each of the twins. Are they identical twins or what?

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
They are fraternal twins!! Maybe even identical, fraternal twins. That would be cool.

Art, Thanks for the post explaining some of the processes these cars go through before we see them. Very facinating indeed. When can we fly over for a visit to the plant?! Thanks for all you do, Art, and I would like to say thanks to Tom Lowe for the cool "surprise" we all opened at the dinner. Very sneaky, mine says White Lightning...and I thought mine was a WL, and the others were 10th Ann. cars. Then we all started figuring it out that we all had both on each car. It was only what you could see. That was very cool. A surprise indeed!

·
Registered
359 Posts
wlpaul said:
They are fraternal twins!! Maybe even identical, fraternal twins. That would be cool.

Art, Thanks for the post explaining some of the processes these cars go through before we see them. Very facinating indeed. When can we fly over for a visit to the plant?! Thanks for all you do, Art, and I would like to say thanks to Tom Lowe for the cool "surprise" we all opened at the dinner. Very sneaky, mine says White Lightning...and I thought mine was a WL, and the others were 10th Ann. cars. Then we all started figuring it out that we all had both on each car. It was only what you could see. That was very cool. A surprise indeed!
Hehe! I really dig being able to pull neat, sneaky stuff with things like the "Surprise Car". Glad you liked the extra little surprise there--all the more reason for freeing cool little JL cars from their suffocating prison, eh?

Art :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Art

Thanks for posting and clearing things up.

Twins huh? That's a cool way to look at it. I guess the two of you have something really special. I bet one guy tries to trade to the other so they have both. Now THAT would be rare!

Mark:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Walter, I say they are Identical Twins...My has the Tenth Anniversary on the driver side as in Picture, & still lock up...:wave:

triple20 said:
My #008 twin has the white lightning tires on the passenger side of the car...it is also loose:wave:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts