Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a toro snowblower with no spark a magnet broke off the flywheel and damaged the stator assembly and coil, it ran perfectly fine before. I bought a used assembly and i can't get a spark could the magnets be demagnatized or the coil be bad ? I had a small engine mechanic install the parts and he suggested i just buy a new engine when he couldn't get any spark but i would just like to get this engine running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You know what Jhowe? These mechanic shops are pretty sketchy sometimes: they dont even bother resolving an issue, they just tell people to overhaul the motor or buy new components. I dont trust them one bit.

If your machine ran well before the incident, then logically a small problem is causing the
symptom. In terms of technicality, a slight misadjustment of even the magnets can have
a big effect on performance. My suggestion is to get a new flywheel aswell as a new stator housing. You could try to get rebuilt but it may be off specs etc.

A coil can't go bad instantly and the same goes for the magnets. Compared to my issue,
i think your situation is pretty straight forward.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On second thought, if your coil is greatly damaged (the high tension wire is torn
for example), then it may be grounding itself to the motor body and preventing the
spark to occur. Same goes for the stator and contact points connections

Also be sure to verify contact points air gap and ignition timing. Trust me, this is important.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Which parts did you replace with used ones? Did you replace the flywheel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the the stator and the whole assembly that came off another machine and the flywheel magnets were glued back on with jbweld the mechanic said it should have worked so i am wondering if i just need points and condensor and the coil he only got a weak spark occasionally after the machine was repaired.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would shoot for a new set of points and a condenser especially if the used assembly was sitting around for awhile.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Magnets back in correctly? North pole - south pole ?

Just thinking out loud.

>Maytag

p/s/ oh - and the coil- while unlikely, can fail instantly. If the "coil" of wire inside of the casing snaps for any reason- corrosion, wires over stretched and weakened during manufacture, arcing, vibration - whatever, it will fail and fail instanlty. Again rare, but very plausible. More often than not they will start to short out between windings due to water, gas, oil ,whatever seeping inside and causing corrosion or shellac insulation breakdown or on the high voltage side arcing will start to breakdown the insulation and same result - slow death.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts