Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1977 A OK with a black top and license plate. It also has black decals on the running boards. It says 1977 on the bottom but where it should say A Ok it says nothing. Any ideas. Can't find a pic of one anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
I am leaning towards @pablodragons response as well to the 2nd one with a black painted top and black (decaled) running boards most likely being a custom detailed casting done by someone after purchase.

Another consideration though is that is a pre-production test casting that was accidently included in the distribution process. It has happened with other castings from that era and earlier. The absence of a casting name is another indication of a possible pre-production history. Or it was sold into the secondary market by a Mattel employee at some time along the way. This has also happened before - mostly recently with the Larry Wood Collection pieces. Another known happenstance is that someone (from Mattel) took it home to their own children and it worked its way into the 2ndary market along that route.

The base photos is hard to see as presented though. Especially the bottom one. Would you mind re-shooting it with the cars both being horizontal - instead of vertical to each other. TIA ?

The only documented know differences between the 1977 releases I know of are with the different packaging cards they came on - Oldies but Goodies or Flying Colors series. And a slight difference in the green body color on some castings.

More information on where and how you found them - especially the black painted one and did you find them together or separately would also be helpful?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get another pic on here later today I got both of these cars new when I was 9 or 10. I'll also get a pic of the license plate area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am leaning towards @pablodragons response as well to the 2nd one with a black painted top and black (decaled) running boards most likely being a custom detailed casting done by someone after purchase.

Another consideration though is that is a pre-production test casting that was accidently included in the distribution process. It has happened with other castings from that era and earlier. The absence of a casting name is another indication of a possible pre-production history. Or it was sold into the secondary market by a Mattel employee at some time along the way. This has also happened before - mostly recently with the Larry Wood Collection pieces. Another known happenstance is that someone (from Mattel) took it home to their own children and it worked its way into the 2ndary market along that route.

The base photos is hard to see as presented though. Especially the bottom one. Would you mind re-shooting it with the cars both being horizontal - instead of vertical to each other. TIA ?

The only documented know differences between the 1977 releases I know of are with the different packaging cards they came on - Oldies but Goodies or Flying Colors series. And a slight difference in the green body color on some castings.

More information on where and how you found them - especially the black painted one and did you find them together or separately would also be helpful?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Thanks for the extra photos.

Since you got them together when you were younger, I would keep them together and document how they came into your possession. If you have a photo of them from a Birthday or Christmas or even just you playing with them as a 9 or 10 year old this would add to the provenance you add to your documentation.

There is a person over at Hobby DB that has a collection of prototypes who maybe able to help you further document this as they collect HW prototypes. A-OK | Model Cars | hobbyDB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts