Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
26,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started the cross reference of this casting thread with other listed reference links. If any (?) remains they are referenced that way. In the mean time, feel free to add your own images, stories, information and experiences with this casting in your own thread posts as we go along.

The Classic '31 Ford Woody casting model was designed by Ira Gilford for Mattel. It is based on the 1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon. It was only produced at the USA factory and was in distribution for 3 years (Wiki/Fandom typically only references one year of production for any casting (?).

Most references vary on the name and rarity order of the Spectraflame colors used to paint this casting. The listed (17) Spectraflame colors range from the most common colors of Blue, Red, Aqua, and Orange. Uncommon colors are Purple, Lime (Yellow), and Rose. Hard to Find colors are Green, Creamy Pink, Gold, Antifreeze, Light Blue and Magenta. Very hard to find colors are Olive, Yelllow and Hot Pink. With Brown as the rarest. An interest reference note made by the Online Redline guide is that late run Spectraflame Green models have faded to become the icy aqua (blue) color known today. And that early Spectraflame Green paint did not fade this way (?).

Being a USA production piece the windshield is always clear plastic. Early versions featured a smooth flat black painted roof and radiator grill. Later examples came with a textured glossy black painted roof. This texture varies from casting to casting. The side panels feature a simulated wood panel look with raised batons(?) Larger front and rear fenders where connected by a running board as part of the body design.

There are 4 different body casting designations known from the mold lettering visible on the inside bottom of the roof. "A" is the rarest havaing only been found on bare metal prototypes and a few brown painted models. The "B" designation is found mostly on flat black roof models painted in olive, antifreeze and creamy pink. No "C" lettered versions are known to date. The "D" body piece "E" and "E-2" lettered body is mostly found with later run castings, 2nd generation paint colors of Magenta, (True) Yellow and Creamy Pink with textured glossy black roofs. All body casting letters can be found in the red, orange, green, rose, blue, aqua, lime, and purple color.

As most models from 1968 have - on each side of the casting are four exhaust pipes protrude from under the back of the front fenders as part of the base design. Four different base varsions are known. The first version 'A' is rarely found and thought to be the prototype base and used with a few brown painted models. It has straight exhaust pipes, a round open alignment hole and a small "R" after Hot Wheels. The 'B' base has radiused side pipes, a round open alignment hole and a larger "R" after Hot Wheels and a larger C in the copyright. The 'C' base has a lengthed base, radiused side pipes, an elongated alignment hole, and a large "R" after Hot Wheels. The "D" base peice has the longer base, radiused pipes, and an elongated, but closed alignment hole. The "R" is moved to be after the casting name and a "TM" now follows Hot Wheels.

Interiors were either light (white), medium (bronze, tan or champagne) or dark (brown). In later production runs the light color interior was prodominently used as they are found primarily in the 2nd generation paint colors of Hot Pink, Magenta and (True) Yellow.

All of the known Spectraflame brown castings have come from the private collections of Mattel employees and are believed to be pre-production models.

All models came with Type 1 medium sized Redline style wheels in front and large sized ones at the rear.

Each casting was issued with either a Hong Kong or USA made metal collector button featuring a yellow (?) casting image with wood colored body trim on a blue background. The Hong Kong buttons come with either notched or smooth tabs. The USA buttons only come with smooth tabs.

An interesting group of harder to find casting variation combinations can be found for this model with textured roofs, bronze or brown interiors, and Red, Aqua, Blue or P Purple Spectraflame paint colors. These are collectively referred to as transitional cars that were created as casting changes occured over time.

The original tools for this casting were thought to be trashed by Mattel.

A retooled model of this casting was made in 2012 for the Hot WHeels Club Series 11 issue.

Resource references -

http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Classic_'31_Ford_Woody
http://www.onlineredlineguide.com/69/69_classic_31_ford_woody/69_classic_31_ford_woody.html
http://www.hwredlines.com/menu-grp-cars/1969/6251-31FordWoody/6251-US-cars.shtml
http://www.hwprotos.com/menu-grp-cars/1969/6251-31Woody/6251x-US-FordWoody.shtml
http://www.nchwa.com/1969.html
The Elite Redline Guide (2010)
https://sites.google.com/site/redlinebuttons/Buttons/1969

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Seems to be a bit of controversy on the wheels on the is model

Some of the authoritative websites say (like mentioned above) that it came with medium size wheels all around, but most all models seen have medium in front and large in back... including some high priced mint condition and possibly (?) carded examples...

This is also another one (like the Vicky) where it was designed with 4 side pipes on each side... yet 2 zoomie exhausts coming out the back.... why?

·
Administrator
26,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your interest and adding information. I hope others will start doing the same since the page views have really jumped on the individual casting threads added this week.

I havent run across the zoomie exhaust detail on the Vicky (that I can recall), but will keep an eye out for it though! It all runs together at times, so I am going back to each site for direct references as I go. Takes some time to do that though. :thumbsup:

I had started to notice the further I read into The Elite Redline Guide (2010) the more inconsistent it to becomes. Most of that detail involves chrome and gold chrome cars and other special edition sets. Their Super Chrome references really has me flumexed with their references and have slowed down the process of listing individual casting threads. Their information is a lot more clearer though than some of the meager mentions of a chrome version in other listings. And seem to be the best and most accurate (consistent) to others.

They also often left out the wheel details on later castings.

The good news is that there is less information to cross reference beyond 1970. So listing them should get easier and faster.

·
Administrator
26,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made it back to The Elite Redline Guide (2010) page and they have the Woody with larger rear tires and medium front tires. I made the same cut and paste from the previous model and overlook an edit update for the next that I find at so many other sites and books. Sorry for that, but thanks for pointing it out. :cheers2:

·
Administrator
26,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As I was updating the information from other listings this morning I ran across the sentence that Pablodragon noted stating the megaphone rear exhausts were also found on the Woody casting. I hadnt noticed them before but, I checked the photos of my childhood casting and there they are! You can also clearly see the medium sized front and larger rear wheels used.

1969 Hot Wheels (6251) Classic '31 Ford Woody by Milton Fox, on Flickr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts