Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car yesterday at a hobby store. It's an inexpensive diecast model that was less than $10 including tax. It is made by Sun Star.

The checkerboard tiles in the pic are a piece of plastic from a 1/18 scale display case that the hobby store owner gave me.

A better pic showing the checkerboard tiles on a piece of plastic. What is really nice is that the checkerboard tiles aren't a sticker on the plastic.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That Sun Star casting is the old Vitesse one. Several other Sun Stars - the Chrysler Town & Country, the '55 Chevy, etc. - are old Vitesse castings. - ranchero -

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ranchero said:
That Sun Star casting is the old Vitesse one. Several other Sun Stars - the Chrysler Town & Country, the '55 Chevy, etc. - are old Vitesse castings. - ranchero -
Thanks for the info ranchero.

I only have a few of the older Vitesse diecasts cars.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I might be wrong, but I thought, that the Vitesse casting was also used by Matchbox in their Corvette series - I'm pretty sure, that Matchbox sourced the C2, C4 & C5 from Vitesse as well.

Matchbox seem to have used Vitesse castings rather a lot - the European small car series - Mini, 2cv, Fiat 500 etc were all Vitesse.

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a gold 1969 Corvette and put the two 'Vettes together,

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jinx - yes, I agree. Matchbox released old Vitesse castings. Also I believe some Vitesse castings became IXO. And now some of the castings used for Altaya have also become IXO castings. I think the proprietary sanctity of the molds has come to be sort of like when MP3 copies of music became possible - you grabbed and took what you could get. Remember all those dies are in China - a place where there is no rule of law and while they have capitalism, it is cowboy capitalism with little protection for the owner of intellectual property. I think all the old CDC Detail Car castings became other things too - but can't remeber just which brand right now (was it Red Box or High Speed? - I'm not sure). Anyway, the models are cheaper and probably better than when they were Vitesses so, like the Sun Star Stutz has displayed and discussed, buy what you like and enjoy it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts