Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Why is the horizontal piece on the wing square looking? :confused: It looks like a homemade box sitting between the uprights as compared to the others and the ones I have :hat:

·
Registered
53 Posts
The first WL I've ever found was that yellow superbird and I was lucky enough to get the green Daytona WL as a gift last Christmas! Two of my favorite cars in my collection!

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
very nice,I still need a few more of these to have `em all:cry:

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Galaxieman said:
Why is the horizontal piece on the wing square looking? :confused: It looks like a homemade box sitting between the uprights as compared to the others and the ones I have :hat:
I think the clunky looking boxy wing on the green one is like that cuz that's the earlier cast... the yellow and blue ones in the picture are the later re-vamped casting...

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Pablodragon said:
I think the clunky looking boxy wing on the green one is like that cuz that's the earlier cast... the yellow and blue ones in the picture are the later re-vamped casting...
The wing is like that on the real 1:1 1969 Charger Daytonas, as can be seen in the picture below:

I would know because there is a 1:1 sitting in my garage as well. The other cars in the pictures are 1970 Plymouth Superbirds, not revamped castings of the Daytona. They are two completely different cars, though created for the same reason - to compete in NASCAR and beat the competition (which was very successful I might add). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
sschevyman1 said:
That wing is clunky to slow it down!!!!
The wing actually helped keep the car on the ground at high speeds above 190+ MPH and provided downforce. The large size of the wing on the Daytonas was so that the trunk could open up on the production version.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Pablodragon said:
Revamped castings?.Those are totally different cars and the real ones didn't share any of the same sheet metal.The fiberglass spoilers and front clips weren't exactly the same either.
Although dodge and plymouth made things that looked alike,for example the Challenger and Cuda had no interchangable parts,and niether did the daytona or superbird.

I grew up eight blocks from Dodge main in Hamtramck and a mile from Lynch Road Asssembley.My Grandfather and Father both worked and retired from those plants.
I lived on the I-94 service drive from 1967-1977 and EVERY car carrier that left those plants had to drive right in front of my house to get on the freeway.2 trucks loaded with mopars,back to back every 15 minutes,24 hours a day six, sometimes 7 days a week.

Those cars ruled the streets of Detroit.It was fun in the summer,sitting out on the front porch in the middle of the night when it was really quiet.Many times you'd hear a loud growl in the distance,something that sounded like a fire breathing dragon.
It would get louder and louder as it grew closer and you could feel the porch
start to vibrate and the windows in the house shook.
Then it would appear.It was always one of the mighty mopars from either one of those plants,usually being driven and pushed to the limit by an engineer or test driver for Chrysler.
The Hamtramck plant had Barracudas,cudas,challengers,darts,demons,dusters,and valiants.
The Lynch road plant had belvederes,chargers,coronets,and satellites.
Production numbers were:
1969 Daytona = 505
1970 Superbird = 1,920
1970 AAR cuda = 2,496
1970 Challenger T/A =2,104

Just wanted to share a little mopar info.I'm into them so much I can read build sheets and have access to original options,prices and production numbers.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
McRooster said:
Revamped castings?.Those are totally different cars and the real ones didn't share any of the same sheet metal.The fiberglass spoilers and front clips weren't exactly the same either.
Although dodge and plymouth made things that looked alike,for example the Challenger and Cuda had no interchangable parts,and niether did the daytona or superbird.

I grew up eight blocks from Dodge main in Hamtramck and a mile from Lynch Road Asssembley.My Grandfather and Father both worked and retired from those plants.
I lived on the I-94 service drive from 1967-1977 and EVERY car carrier that left those plants had to drive right in front of my house to get on the freeway.2 trucks loaded with mopars,back to back every 15 minutes,24 hours a day six, sometimes 7 days a week.

Those cars ruled the streets of Detroit.It was fun in the summer,sitting out on the front porch in the middle of the night when it was really quiet.Many times you'd hear a loud growl in the distance,something that sounded like a fire breathing dragon.
It would get louder and louder as it grew closer and you could feel the porch
start to vibrate and the windows in the house shook.
Then it would appear.It was always one of the mighty mopars from either one of those plants,usually being driven and pushed to the limit by an engineer or test driver for Chrysler.
The Hamtramck plant had Barracudas,cudas,challengers,darts,demons,dusters,and valiants.
The Lynch road plant had belvederes,chargers,coronets,and satellites.
Production numbers were:
1969 Daytona = 505
1970 Superbird = 1,920
1970 AAR cuda = 2,496
1970 Challenger T/A =2,104

Just wanted to share a little mopar info.I'm into them so much I can read build sheets and have access to original options,prices and production numbers.
You are right as well, and it must have been so cool to see them going past your house every day. Many say that the production of the Daytona is 505, but the actual amount was much lower. Creative Design counted some of the same cars twice when they were being sent out, since NASCAR required a certain amount to be built to qualify for homologation.

Additionally, with all the of Daytonas sent out for racing teams and other purposes, the number of production Daytonas sent to the dealership was around 250. Today, there is probably much less than 100 in existence. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
sschevyman1 said:
Those noses on those cars were metal,but today they would be ABS Plastic.
I don't know if they would be ABS(I work in plastics) odds are they would be polycarbonate(LEXAN).That stuff is hard as hell and very light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts