Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ran across this the other day. Don't know who made it. Logo is the only clue. Going to open the vents and install the upper fender screens. And make it look more like the 1:1.

Posted this "over there" to promote my "finish the Chaparrals" effort.

Does anyone recognize this logo.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Now that's interesting. Never seen one with those fender bulges.

Looks like you're gonna have to trim the bottom edges of the rear wheel opening to match the drawing.

Looking forward to it. Probably the only one of it's type in 1:64 diecast.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks on the brand name. Never heard of that one.

Yeah the bulges will have to be trimmed back a bit. But that beats having to make them. Never enjoyed that process.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Hoots - have you found provisions for attatchment of the rear spoiler?

The thoughtful link that 5G provided shows none on that yellow casting that I could see.

And knowing you, you'll make one. Your version is going to look som much better than it did when new once you've found suitable wheels/tires. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... The spoiler will be made on the table. I had to make one for the HW's casting when I did it. All the ones on the HWRL's were lost two days after they were bought. As I said before, I was driving when HW's first came out. So I never got a chance to race any until the grand kids. (I didn't get back into this until our kids were driving.) BUT ! I'd always heard , and it makes sense, The HW's 2G's rear deck had a tendency to open when going down the track? Hence I suppose the absence of most of the original spoilers. The first wheel option will be the Cat.A.Pult Comolds. I have kind of a theme going on with the comold wheels and this era of sports racers. Of course if I found close matches I'd use them.

I'm curious to see if my skills have developed or regressed. This will be pretty close to the HW's 2G. I have no real designs on making it an opener. But the option is there I suppose. The Summer casting is slightly larger than the HW's casting. The spoiler seems to be cast into the Summer's body. This will have to be completely removed. The windshield will come from the "HW's Chaparral 2." The one on the Summer isn't even in the ball park as a match to the 1:1. The rear cowling is going to have to be formed. Plan "A" will be to burnish it from the HW's 2G casting. I was looking at the HW's 2G last night. The white paint is starting to yellow. The decals, were some of the first I ever made. So they are pretty crappy. I figure this might be a good time to consider a redo on it; if the burnishing messes it up. At that time I might make the HW's closer to the '67 2G.

HW's 2G. Originally had stickers with "66" in Xfine Sharpie.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Dude, I'm telling you the truth, your old one still has so much character and grunt. I can post almost the exact same image of my version and it does not looks near as cool as yours. I understand freshening it up a little but that bad boy looks great!!!!

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a photo after I changed the stickers to the decals. Somewhere around 2002? I'm sure I can improve the decal work. Don't recall the paint I used but nothing else I've painted white has yellowed as much.

This is mainly to get another variant of the Chaparral in my stable. Don't look like HW's is going to help me out anytime soon. It's also going to be up "over there" on the customs board for at least a month, if not longer; since I'll post the restoration of the replication. In my little mind there is the idea to call some attention to the historical aspect of HW's. Embarrass, if you will, them into putting more effort into what seems to be a waning program that has been with HW's since its concept. And Finish out the Chaparrals ! Will it work? Probably about as good as my "Bring Back The Hardee Huskee" efforts. I guess we all have windmills........

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update :

Cut the posts out of it last night.....

.... and shaved down the spoiler to the deck. Actually went through the deck.

Now I can get behind the vent work. I'm considering decals for the upper fender vents instead of cutting the holes there. Even pipe screen is really too coarse for those.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vent Work Opened & Windshield Issues

I've been talking about "back cutting" since I started this. Don't know if this is the proper term for this operation but it sounded good to me 16 years ago when I did the HW's 2G. But infact; just about everything I've done so far on this project has led up to this.

So the deal is to remove just enough metal from the inside and in the right place to be able to punch a hole through the top of the metal, in the right place and be able to trim it to shape without over cutting the hole.

Ground down the front vent on the inside with the edge of a worn down cutting wheel. I back cut and punched it open with an Xacto. Same thing was done with the rear vents.

These will be square off with a file.

"And Huston! We might have a problem here." The HW's 2G windshield is too wide. I'm hoping to be able to trim the side glass extra thin; and then if I have to fudge a bit by slightly bending the side glass to fit the front of the deck cowling hope it won't be much.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Screwed up and put the rear vent work in the wrong place. Had to move it up. This allowed the head rest to be shortened. I think this looks pretty close to being right.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cut some velocity stacks last night. Opted not to make an opener since most of the rear deck is made from KWIK STEEL. They're just sitting in place, here. But they are "in place." Windshield is cut down and is polishing out. I think a HW's 2G may have fit but that is about as hard to find as a wing.... Speaking of which. That will be cut out of plastic. Trying to figure out how to deal with the chassis. It needs to be about 1/16" below the present body line to make the tire bulges look right. But it needs to appear seamless. Thinking maybe decaling the sides instead of paint. Thought painting it white might help me visualize what I needed to do. Eeeeh! It's all got to be sanded anyway.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the wing made last night. Put it on while the paint was still tacky. That's what is keeping it from falling over now. Hopefully this will leave a little mark so I can paint some tiny black rectangles to give an appearance of openings for the posts for the wing. Chassis has been modified to accept the wheels. No they aren't Comolds.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Under the subject of "1000 Ways To Screw Up." Got everything set to clear coat. Picked up a, similar, can of Krylon.... Tan. Fortunately I didn't have to strip it. I peeled off the decal which acted as a mask for most of it. Fortunate also that I always make a second or sometimes third set of decals per build. I suppose a good time to check color is before you spray. This was caused by complacency.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
'68 Chaparral 2G FINISHED

Didn't come out as well as I'd of liked but I didn't start with much in the "SUMMER" casting.

Made: Spoiler wing
Velocity stacks & scoop
Tail pipes
Complete back
Modified the windshield
Opened most of the vent work
Made chassis
Swapped wheels
Modified rear deck
Seat belts
Decaled
Probably some other stuff I missed.