Hobbyist Forums banner

1964 Godzilla Aurora Re-Issue

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mark McGovern 
#1 ·
Just landed this lizard anyone got any background on this kit?

#2 ·
First of all, Welcome to the Boards, Dragon Elf! :wave:

As for Godzilla: he was sculpted way back when by Ray Meyers, who allegedly based his pattern on the monster as it appeared in King Kong Versus Godzilla. I'm getting this information from Greenberg's Guide to Aurora Model Kits by Thomas Graham, who states that the model is 1/200 scale.

How's that for starters?

#6 ·
Not trying to get too far off on a tangent however a word about MJ if you will. They are slowly but surely running out of the PL stuff they have been carrying for years. Used to be able to get the munsters for 6 bucks a kit when buying quantities.....todays price for that kit at MJ is now 15.95 in multiples of 6 I believe. Scarf up the good deals while they are stilll there, folks! They still have several other kits over there for 6 bucks a pop.

#8 ·
When Aurora went out of business, Monogram purchased all the molds, Tomy purchased rights to the Aurora name, Later Tomy sold the rights to the name to Cinemodels.Any kits reissued by Monogram, had the copyright info retooled on the molds,with the exception of the Ist reissue of "the Forgotten Prisoner" If you look at the bottom of the kits base , you'll see the monogram logo. I belive Polar Lights (also now defunct)had Monogram create the kits, and with Cinemodels permission used the Aurora logo on the box...What a mouthful....Otto

#9 ·
Dragon Elf said:
Thanks Mark that works for me....Sorry, not much on scale how big is that? 1/200 that is?
Ah, D. E., ya shoulda paid more attention in grade school when they were trying to hammer fractions into your head (didn't work with me either, mind you - I just picked up an understanding of the subject when it became necessary to figure model scales).

I think that the assembled Godzilla stands 9" tall without the base. If it's 1/200th as tall as the "real" thing, then you'd multiply 9" times 200 to get the real height of the monster. That would be 1800"; divide that by 12 to get the height in feet and you get a 150' tall Godzilla.

Uh-oh...in the movie, the Wise Olde Paleontologist said Godzilla was 400' tall! So to find the scale of a monster that tall as represented by the kit, let's reverse the process and multiply 400' by 12 to get the equivalent in inches: 4800. Now we divide that by the 9" of our assembled model to get the scale: 1/533.3.

#11 ·
aurora fan said:
Yea, thats how come I never understood how King Kong fought Godzilla!!!...They never looked right (to me) displayed with the other monster kits.
Well, that's understandable, a.f. Going by the Aurora interpretation of the "real" monsters' heights: King Kong, which is a 1/25 scale model kit (judging by the Fay Wray figure) that is 10" tall when assembled, would be just under 21' tall in real life. As I stated above (and admitting that they were estimates only), Aurora would have Godzilla stand 150' tall.

So if model kits of the critters were made in 1/8 scale, consistent with the other monsters, the completed Kong would be 31-1/4" tall and Godzilla, 225" or 18' 9" tall. Cool, but really really hard to display.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.