Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this 1960 Ariens Sno Thro ,I can not find the owners/service/parts manuals. The reverse on this machine you need to pull the shift lever back towards the operator. It does not lockin and it usually will not work, is there an adjustment to get it to work properly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go to www.ariens.com and enter your model number. You can then download an owners manual for you machine. Reverse just moves the friction when to the other side of the drive plate to change the wheel direction. They might have made this model so it would not lock in for safety reasons. (the machine would be coming towards the operator.) Just a guess on that.
Good luck
pagmrg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No friction plate or drive plate on this model. I see why the reverse will not lock in but this machine will not go in reverse. It moves a half inch that is it .

·
Registered
96 Posts
How trany works in R - bend the rod

:):thumbsup:Take off the botttom inspection plate. Tip blower up on auger case forward. A block of wood or old tire rim will keep it 90 degrees by the way.Notice when you move into a forward gear the friction disk moves to right side of drive plate disk - for example. When you pull into reverse the friction disk must move to left side of drive plate - past center which is N Neutral - to reverse the wheel rotation. I would adjust shift linkage so I give up a 4 or 5 forward top speed position to get a R. If the rod does now go bend the kink out to shorten the lenght. Try adjusting the friction disk rod linkage with the lever off the outside connection to be sure friction disk will move to the left side. Many times you need to sand down and relube the hex shaft so the friction disk will slide easy with hand to both far right and far left. The external shift lever just selects which side and how far out on the OD of drive disk the friction disk moves to change a gear ratio position. It is not fun pulling the blower in R. Good luck from NH.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Dr. Nemo....you have me baffled. I am over on the Ariens website and every sno-thro walk behind is friction drive. I even went out to our bone yard out back to look at a few of the early models and again...friction drive. The only models I ever saw that didn't have the friction plates actually had a transmission drive with duel belts to control which way you wanted to go, forward or backwards. If you have an actual transmission, it may be worth more than what the actual machine is worth to start with and it may be time to look at something a bit newer. Wish I could help more.

Thanks.
Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to see this machine! The web site,,,, the Ariens 1960s and 1970s Sno Thro info site,,,,,, There is a toy model shown this is the machine I have.And there is the actual machine model 10 m serial # 000635 This is not mine but I have one works great but no reverse. I will have to look and see if I can make the repair without a repair manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dr.Nemo, I went to the site you listed and looked at the parts list. You indeed do NOT have a friction wheel drive. You have the "clutch" drive system. It has the 2 yokes (kinda "H" shaped) that engage. Basicly a solid drive shaft. Let me look closer. I should have some time Friday or Sat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This machine has 2 foward 1 reverse, NO FRICTION WHEEL !!!! It is the first year ariens made sno thro machines. It runs great,I had it running today. Throws snow 25 feet with the 2 stage system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10m, 10m , 10m, This is the sno thro 1960 no friction drive wheel. 4.5 hp motor REVERSE is not working ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been at this site thats where i found the owners manual.I am looking for info on the adjusting the reverse function. Thank you Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts