Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1954 Mercury Monterey convertible, top up. Collector's Classics. One of three '54 Mercury castings from Argentina in the early '90s. A very nice casting with excellent and accurate original colors used on all releases.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My favorite '54 Mercury - the Sun Valley. Collector's Classics did a great job; look at the green plexiglas roof panel. These are wonderful and memorable colors for this car - especially given the plexiglas tint.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
ranchero said:

My favorite '54 Mercury - the Sun Valley. Collector's Classics did a great job; look at the green plexiglas roof panel. These are wonderful and memorable colors for this car - especially given the plexiglas tint.
I think 90% of the Sun Valleys I see at 1:1 shows are the yellow and green combos. Great set of models. Thanks for showing :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Nice Mercs ranchero!

I only have one Collector's Classics diecast car. It's the top down '55 Chevy
convertible (red and white). It's packed away in a storage box somewhere. I think these cars have a serial on the base. I believe my '55 Chevy was 1 of 5000 if I remember correctly. It could be 1 of 3500, I can't remember.

Are your Mercs numbered ranchero?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have those, too. They are excellent and really fun to own and display. (Alas, mine, too, are packed away since my most recent move.)

I was really sad when I heard that their parent company, Buby, went out of business. I think that the 1969 Camaro was their last 1/43 release, although it seems that they changed the name from Collector's Classics to Buby's Classics for the Camaro release only. (That's how the boxes appear to be printed when they show up on e bay.)

I wish some rich and savvy diecast enthusiast would buy their tooling and continue Buby's great line-up.

I collected every color of their '55 Chevy Bel Air, 1953 Ford, 1954 Mercury, 1955 Packard Caribbean, and 1956 Desoto Adventurer that I could find when they were available new. They're all great, and your post has inspired me to dig mine up and put them out on the shelves again. Thanks for your excellent pictures.

The Hobby store I was buying them from closed before the '48 Lincoln Continental and the '69 Camaro came out, so I didn't get those...that was way back in the pre-internet world, you know.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, my Mercurys are numbered. Top up is 19489. Top down is 11027. Sun Valley is 00485. I also have the '56 DeSoto hardtop (black & gold) with number 00001. Buby was the original name of the company which first sold model cars in Buenos Aires in about 1958. Their initial die cast models, all in 1/43, were a '57 Buick Caballero, a '57 Ford F-100 pick up and a '58 Ford four door sedan. It was founded by Harolodo "Buby" Mahler. Buby was his childhood nickname. Buby toys were high quality scale model cars - similar to then current Dinky & Corgi. Buby later also had quality small die cast cars - to compete with Matchbox. After Collector's Classics Mr. Mahler produced another line of die cast toys - Buenos Aires city busses. That line was only distributed in Argentina. The quality of Collector's Classics was excellent for the era. Each model was assembled by a person who signed a sticker attached to the base plate. The company cared about making serious models for car enthusiasts. There was also a very nice Studebaker Avanti from CC.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ranchero said:
Yes, my Mercurys are numbered. Top up is 19489. Top down is 11027. Sun Valley is 00485. I also have the '56 DeSoto hardtop (black & gold) with number 00001. Buby was the original name of the company which first sold model cars in Buenos Aires in about 1958. Their initial die cast models, all in 1/43, were a '57 Buick Caballero, a '57 Ford F-100 pick up and a '58 Ford four door sedan. It was founded by Harolodo "Buby" Mahler. Buby was his childhood nickname. Buby toys were high quality scale model cars - similar to then current Dinky & Corgi. Buby later also had quality small die cast cars - to compete with Matchbox. After Collector's Classics Mr. Mahler produced another line of die cast toys - Buenos Aires city busses. That line was only distributed in Argentina. The quality of Collector's Classics was excellent for the era. Each model was assembled by a person who signed a sticker attached to the base plate. The company cared about making serious models for car enthusiasts. There was also a very nice Studebaker Avanti from CC.
Thanks for all of the background info on Buby cars. I never knew all of that history. I would love to see some of those original 1/43 Bubys from the 1950s/60s.

Also thanks for reminding me about the Avanti; I knew I was forgetting one of them, and it turns out that it was my favorite one! The Buby CC Avantis are really wonderful, in six nice colors if I remember correctly: white, black, burgundy, green, blue & gold(?) I hope I can find mine soon!

That is pretty cool that your DeSoto is numbered #00001. I saw on e bay that a couple of #001 JL WLs sold for $1225 each, apparently because of that serial number (from back when JLs were numbered). I wonder if that serial # adds any $$ to your DeSoto?!?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"I wonder if that serial # adds any $$ to your DeSoto?!?"

If it does, only the executor of my estate will ever know. I don't care; I just like the model. I'll post some photos of the original Buby models in the 1/43 forum.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ranchero said:
If it does, only the executor of my estate will ever know. I don't care; I just like the model. I'll post some photos of the original Buby models in the 1/43 forum.
I agree. I'd probably have to be starving before I'd sell off my Collector's Classics cars (or any of my 1/43s). I sure wish I had room to display them all at once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts