Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The leg is now reaching the in hull stored position, The first brass rod slides under the top rail,leaving the rear brass rod in the open area. The leg is now free to swing up into the hull for storage. a Rc servo could operate the landing leg with no problem.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just got a few days to get back to the Luna project. I saw the model of the !/48 scale Luna rocketship by Masterpiece models that a gentleman built. Very nice build.I really like the size of the1/48 model, very impressive! If I had the room to display one, I to would get one, but I will have to stay with the 1/144 model. I did add some detail that was on the 1/48 scale model that I could see. According to masterpiece models the kit was taken from a mold from the movie prop. So I decided to add the two circles seen on the front of the ship. The lower cargo door up on the nose was cut out two make a working door that would open and close. A small drill bit was first used to start a hole in the middle of the door. A small file was then used to square up the hatch. I did make a small mold to copy the cargo door. Then a resin door was layed in the mold to build a new cargo door. The door was made to open and close by using a small hinge from a park flyer airplane. Here are a few pictures.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The ladder going up the side of the ships body,would really add a lot of detail. I tried two ideas for this. The first was to use Plastruct n scale ladders to glue to the side of the hull. This would look good after a landing on a planet,but not in flight. The ladders steps were also retractable in the body during space travel. This is were I decided to engrave the steps inside the body,this way it would look like the ship just landed on a planet and the ladder was not yet activated for use. And in space travel it would look good. Anyway here are a few pictures of the first attempt to install the plastic ladder steps.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
One side of the ladder was removed with a razor blade before it was layed on the body. Then glue was applied with a brush to just the steps alone. My big mistake was that I applied the ladders on top of primer,which did not bond to the plastic hull very well. If I would do this over I would sand the primer down to plastic so the glue would have a good strong bond to the plastic it self. Just a idea for any of you want to try this in the future.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The outside of the hand rail was removed,leaving just the steps in place.This would have worked great except I glued every thing to primer which caused some of the steps to come off. Big mistake!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
After all that work I decided to make a template,to engrave the steps into
the body.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Lights were the next thing to be installed in the model.Of course this had to be done before the model was sealed up. To power the model I decided to run the wiring thru the rear fin. A dremel tool was used to make a small
channel in the fin to run the wiring thru. After this was done the wires were covered with Tamiya body filler. When this was dried,the seam was sanded smooth.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A micro connector was soldered and glued in the rear of the fin. A led was pushed into the connector to make sure that there was power running thru the wiring. The led could be removed later on,and a special connector would be made to plug into the fin to power up the ship.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
A lighted cargo area was made to fit inside the top of the ship. This was test fitted before the two hull halves were glued together.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts