Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I wanted to try a easy build or something different. After building large scale models of submarine and star trek models thru the years. I wanted a different type of build. Looking over the internet The Luna rocketship caught my eye. A very sleek and aesthetic design looked just like what I was looking for. I received the model last week,and after I opened the box I was pleased to see a very nicely made model kit,simply to build and sleek looking. Perfect! When doing research on the internet on other peoples builds of the model.I found out that people talked about a third jackstand or leg that was stored in the hull. when landing this was then lowered down to providing more balance to the ship to keep it up right. Some people said it was a fixed leg that stayed down in flight,why others said it would retrack in the body. Looking at the plans that I saw on the web,it showed stored in the ships hull,then it would lower down for landings. This looked pretty cool to me, and to make this work in this model would be a fun challenge. Also other details that I could put on the model, looked like this would be a interesting build! I will post more pictures as I move along with this build.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toke the plastic kit parts out of the box. There are just around 12 or so parts in the plastic bag. The parts are very nicely made with thick plastic. everything is clean and crisp. It looks like the kit would just snap together.Or you can glue the parts together,what ever you want to decide to do. It would be a very simple build to do. just snap together and paint! I wanted to detail the model out to give it a little more interest.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only plans that I found on the internet were these pretty nicely detailed set. Here the plans shows the third leg or a jack stand as they called it ,in the up stored position. And of course then the leg would be lowered down for the landing position.. Making a working operating leg that would go up or down would really add extra detail to the ship.Well
back to the drawing board as they say!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After coming up with different drawings that might work,for a working retracting leg.I finally just started to work on the hull,coming up with ideas that might work. After a couple of days working off and on this project,I finally come up with a working retracting 4th leg. Here is how it all started. First is a picture of the stock lower hull,showing the opening for the fixed leg.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I measured the length of the stock 4th leg. This is how long the new slot would have to be to make room for the leg. By carefully measuring the slot to make sure the new cut out opening would be straight,I applied Tamya masking tape to outline the slot cut. A small drill bit was used to make close cuts together,then running the bit up and down to make a rough opening. Files were then used to clean up the slot.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A new 4th leg was made by using plastruck plastic. The new leg was made to follow the hull curve when retracted in the stored position. The new leg was made a little taller to make a arm to attack a RC servo linkage,(which I don,t think I ever would do) Two small brass rods were added to provide pins that would travel up and down on the in
side rails.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The inside rail (which I will show later) Her are pictures of the 4th lag traveling up and down the inside hull rail. When the leg reaches the top of the slot it swings flush with the hull. When you lower it it swings out and slides down the slot into the locking landing position. Her are a few pictures.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its been a busy weekend,thought that I would get the inside glide rails pictures posted yesterday but here they are now. I used plastruct small angles for the guides. the 4th gear slides under the plastic rails. Here it is in the lower landing position locked in place.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts