Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... put aside most of the discussions and debates about RULEs...

What is the best 19 turn oval motor?

Now, I guess there ultimatly has to be some rules... but quite frankly it seems as if ROAR will very likely change there 19 turn rules... to what is anyones guess right now. However right now... I can run virtualy any 19 turn motor at my local club races... So what motor should I use? and why?

Currently here is what I have in my box... I have one each of the following...

Chameleon 2 'spec' motor, Fantom Ti based ARCOR legal motor, Trinity machine wound ARCORNITE ARCOR legal motor, Reedy Quad Magnet 'super spec' motor (with timing tab removed, so it's fully adjustable timing)...

I also have on loan, and would be willing to buy..... a Trinity D5 can with hand wound Trinity 19 turn arm. And... last but not least... a Putnam (Trinity) Binary Can with hand wound 19 turn armature.

Now I'm not really concerned too much with who wound what... I'm basicly just asking... If you could run ANY 19 turn motor what would you use?

Do the Trinity Binary cans have any advantage over Reedy Quad cans?
Do big Square brushes have any advantage over standard size brushes? Do lay down burshes on a big commutator have any clear advantge? Etc...

I intentend to do some (small amount) of on track testing this weekend... Along with some dyno runs too... Any advice or predictions?

·
Registered
441 Posts
i would have to say the best 19 turn motor out is the putnam d5 based 19 turn. and i am not sponsored by putnam, but i would have to say he puts some hard work into them motors and i have had very good luck with them and am always running up front with them. also i have had many questions to ask Todd and every time i call he is always willing to listen and answer any question i have for him. well just my opinion and i'm sure a million others will back me up on this one. but trust me give them a shot you will not be dissapointed :thumbsup: keep up the good work Todd your motors are fasttttttt :eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Putnam

Dyno, next time were up at Lansing I'll get you Todds contact info, or im sure you can find it online, He is the 19t god. :thumbsup: My bro, or myself would be happy to help ya out. see ya

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
come on guys... talk to me about motor design... pros and cons of big brushes, big comms, quad-magnets, etc...

if you want to throw in some plug for your favorite motor man, that's fine, but how about telling me more about why your motor man builds the motors he does...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a Putnam 19 turn in a Binary can right now, but only for the weekend... I haven't even dynoed it yet, but when I put 2.3 volts to it this morning... it sounded awesome... When compared to another 19 turn in a D5 can, it 'sounded' like it was runing with about 50% more RPM. I'm really looking forward to trying this motor... Since it's not really legal for ROAR or ARCOR, maybe no one's got much experiance with it yet.

I plan to be in Lansing this Friday... I tried to get a Putnam D5 based motor for the Regional race, but Nick's shipment didn't arive in time... I don't know if he has one now, or not... I'd probably buy one from him if he does. But then if this binary can has any advantage... I may just have to try and find a way to get one for myself... (since I only have it on loan)

·
Registered
441 Posts
well motor design i can not go to far into that. for that i'm sure if you talk to todd he will give you all the info he can. give him a call at 518-452-0422 i'm sure he'll be glad to answer all your questions and after talking with him i'm sure you'll choose his motors also check out his web site putnampropulsion.com and i'm sure if he sees your post here he will answer any questions on here also. :thumbsup: good luck and choose wisely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll likely give a Todd a call soon, most likely early next week. I'd like to run this Binary motor first, so that I can ask him some questions about it and such. I've had a opertunity to run one other Putnam motor in the past, it was a Chameleon, and it was rather impressive. My local shops don't generaly carry his motors for whatever reason, and that's the main reason I have yet to buy one....

One thing interesting I've imediately noticed... The Reedy Quad Magnet motor has almost no cogging effect when you spin the armature by hand... yet the Trinity Bianary motor has the exact same coging effect you'd feel on any two magnet motor.... All I've heard is hype so far in terms of Quad magnets in general... or so it seems. I was really hoping to get some real racer opions on such things...

On other thing that kills me... Trinity puts these big brushes on their D5 motors, but it seems whoever I speak with, they all seem to indicate that anyone who actualy uses those brushes, narrows them so they are in effect the same dimensions a a standard brush... I don't understand Why trinity still hypes this brush, if no one really uses it as a big brush... (yeah I know their trinity, and probably just want to be a exclusive brush supplier for thier motors... )

·
Registered
441 Posts
well as far as the big brush we cut it down to save on runtime. as for there reasons i'm sure there are more people here who could answer your question on that but doing dyno testing i have never really seen a big difference when i went and put the narrow brush hoods on my d5 mods they dynoed out very close but i know the narrow brush hood saves on run time big. the motors usually come with a 4383e wich is the big brush and then i change it to the regular 4383 and put the narrow brush hoods and it helps. well just my 2 cents anyone else??

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
1. PUTNAM for doing his homework on the D5 setup ARCOR legal
2. FANTOM D5 setup with a 4 mm arm and stadnup brushes

I did not know that 4 magent 19turn motors were legal for arcor racing maybe JB or any ARCOR director can post their thoughts...

I can say that the ARCONITE motor is not equal to or better than the others listed ....It is HEMI wound and that is not the same as the rest of the ARCOR

Most of the motors from the top 2 are in the 95 -105 range for power and 24000 -25000 rpms if the rpms are higher than that the "on the track power seems to be much slower

The most important thing I have found is that the brush hoods need to be made a little smaller to get the brush to weare correctly ...Maybe Todd can post the reason or reasons that is happening ....

I do not run for PUTNAM but do respect his knowlegde and work ethic..

DYNOHOHUM the large brush was suposed to be the the best thing since slcied bread BUT it give TRINITY al the brush business back that guys like PUTNAM and other smaller brush compnaies had taken from TRINITY
Off the soap box SRM :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now there is something interesting... The ARCORNITE has a Hemi wind? I don't see how that could be true. ARCOR lists the ACORNITE motor as being legal for ACROR racing, and clearly they state that the arms have to be Mabuchi wind... So... I don't know for sure... but I think your mistaken about the ARCORNITE arm being hemi wound...

Oh... and NO... currently both ROAR and ARCOR clearly state only two magnets per can... So the Binary and KR cans are not legal at this time in either type of racing... HOWEVER... There have been some strong suggestions that ROAR will likely change their 19 turn rules soon... and that there's a good chance that it will be more or less full mod with simply a 19 turn limit... ALSO... For my purposes at the local track... I can run ANY 19 turn motor...

·
MARK ZARRELLI
1,507 Posts
Don't quote me but.....what i heard was that the early production arcornites were hemi wound because they made them along with the chameleons but were corrected to the mabuchi wind later on. :confused:

Also on the P94 brushes another theory is that the bigger brush will dissipate heat quicker.I've ran both hood configurations back to back with no noticable difference but this was in oval maybe with an offroad or touring car application this is much more noticable.

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
Dyno
You have to remember that us OVAL guys don't dominate the market. TC guys can probably take advantage of that big brush with all the starting and stopping they do, and like SRM stated Trinity get's the brush sales.
We pretty much keep it would up, so brush drag is of more importance.
If I were to buy a 19 turn, I'd get whatever Putnam's guy's are winning with. Todd has the technical wisardly your looking for...Call him.

Later, Bret

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
arcor and roar legal? D5 with putnam X brushes timing cranked . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
668 Posts
19 turn

ok ......what kind of power reading should i expect to see on a good D5 putnam motor or one of the new quad magnets motors?oh i have famtom dyno

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The Bat is correct,the early ARCORnites were hemi wound,that is what was passed out at the NORRCA Nats in may,the situation was later corrected and the new arms are now machine-wound mabuchi wrap.I gotta say that with the new arm they are pretty awesome motors,much better than with the hemi arm,would still go with the D5 set-up by any reputable winder though.Good amp draw,consistant,magnets stay at a good reading even after several runs.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts