Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to experiment using an Orion 3200 LiPo with the Novak 18.5 Brushless motor for paved oval racing. Has anyone out there raced or tested this combination? If so, I am looking for a ballpark rollout for this setup. Track is a flat asphalt oval with approximately 160 foot run line. I plan on testing this setup over the weekend, and any help may speed up my learning curve.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Kevin,

I suggested the 18.5 as a stock replacement w/ the LiPo battery and was advised against it due to the Crawler motor not having the temp sensor.

Charlie at NOVAK sent JB from ARCOR and myself a NEW wind motor he feels will be the perfect solution, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

I plan to team up w/one of our long time stock racers who is/was planning to pick up a LiPo pack this weekend.

Dan Tajc did some testing w/ the 18.5/3200 combo last weekend in Phoenix at the RCSM, and it ran about 1/2 second quicker than STOCK and about 3-4 tenths slower than 19t.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was able to pick up one of the 18.5's pretty cheap, so I'll give it some test runs this Saturday to see. I also have both the 3200 and 4800 Orion LiPos at my disposal to test. Based on the times you quoted, the 18.5 is about the speed I was looking for. Hopefully Novak will come out with a motor that will provide about the same speed as the 18.5 with what is needed. Not sure exactly what the lack of a temp sensor would cause, but then again I'm still learning. The next test will probably be the 13.5 to see how close that comes to the current 4 cell/10.5 (4300) combo. It has already been shown that the 4300/LiPo combo is as fast or faster than the current 4 cell/3.5 combo. These LiPo batteries appear to be the next revolution in racing (after brushless) and it is important for anyone who runs a race program to be ready to make this change. Everyone has taken to the brushless change favorably, the LiPos are the next logical step.

BTW, if anyone wants to order the Orion 3200 LiPo I know that Racers Haven can beat the current Tower Hobbies price (currently Tower is selling the Orion at $84.99). Let us know and we can order one for them...I can even arrange shipment if necessary. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
18.5 / lipo

Hi Joe, Wasn't me! I don't own a "crawler" I believe it might have been Joe Wilson running in Phx. I have been working with a 4300/Lipo combo.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Since the cat is out of the bag, this is what is happening in regard to findng a motor that will best suit this first class of Brushless and Lipo's. NOVAK is working with ARCOR and The Southwest Tour (Joe Meyers) in developing a motor for use with Lipo's. We have both received a test motor and based on our findings (collectivly) NOVAK will proceed with this motor. IF we feel the test motor is to fast, then NOVAK will make us another test motor. NOVAK, does not want to see us using the Crawler, as they feel it's not suited for the racing we willl be doing with it. NOVAK also feels as I do..SLOWER IS BETTER!! When this motor is fully ready, NOVAK will proceed with production. We are trying to get a motor that will go + or -, todays 4C Stock speed. Even just a little slower, if we can. It will be an easily identifiable motor, it will be just for this class.

ARCOR will be doing some test runs with this motor at the ARCOR Open next weekend. I have a racer lined up for the testing that is well versed in Stock racing, thus he can also give a fair evaluation of this first test motor.

All I can say is, we asked NOVAK and they responded. We can't ask much more from a manufacture than that. As racers we also must remember, who cared and who is looking to our future in OVAL RACING, by working with us!!!

The most certain thing I can say right now is that when this motor is available it will be the "ONLY" motor allowed in the new ARCOR COF class. When all is said and done, we will have a terrific class, one any racer can run in.

For now, THANK YOU NOVAK and ORION!! These companies do care and are behind this new class.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I dont know about Orion.. I heard this past week, from a very reliable source they are either going under, or another big name company (wont say who) might be buying them out..With all of the Loss of there top drivers over the past year, the news i heard makes alot of sense.. Anyway there should be other lipo companies ready to help if what i was told does happen..

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Hi JB,
I am very hopeful that a LiPo/BL class could develop here in Michigan. But, Things would have to be in place before September so I can lobby my track and the racers around here.

Do you believe that may be too short of a time line? I have no idea how long it would take for Novak to test, develop and produce a motor.

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our track (Racers Haven, Bakersfield CA) has been willing to depart from the norm in the past, even running a Spec class with both handout motors and batteries. SLOWER IS BETTER...I totally agree and always have agreed with this viewpoint. Racing does not require speed, and better racing is produced when speed is closer together. This is the reason I am starting to do research that will hopefully find an alternative to our current classes and allow the use of LiPo technology without increasing speeds and hurting competition and enjoyment for the average racer. Everything I have found so far says that the LiPo/Brushless combination has the potential to save racers lots of money and frustration as long as the right combination is found to limit the speed and other "variables". I would love to be involved in the research and development of this class, but at this time I only have access to what is available on the market. When the proper combination is found, it will likely become one of our most popular classes (right now the 4 cell 4300 class has already become our #1 class). As for Orion/Peak, they only market these batteries which are actually manufactured by Kokam. The hard case is what seperates these batteries from others, and for our application I believe the hard case is a safety necessity. All that is needed is for any manufacturer (maybe even Novak could step into this side as well) to market a LiPo pack with a similar case to be allowed as well should Orion/Peak leave the market. Apogee is another company that is making LiPo packs for R/C Cars, but those packs lack the hard case at this time.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Thanks CaptnDan, Your right...it was Joe Wilson

and the times that Ray McCoy posted were pretty good.

I'm still not convienced the crawler motor wouldn't be ok, but since NoVAK is willing to do it better...I say we look for perfection instead of 'settling'.

Charlie @ NoVaks response and willingness to be involved is awesome...it's been a long time since I've seen a mfg. this willing to help carry the ball on something OVAL racers have asked for.

KUDOS NoVak and Charlie~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts