Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the faster class 17.5 open or 13.5 spec? My local track is thinking about one or the other. Both open body and tire rules.

Sam

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
It's a tricky question. On more than one occasion I've seen Travis Russell, myself, or Chris Clayton have their spec cars faster than 17.5 open cars. In other instances though, I've seen us behind.
Snowbirds Deel had nearly a lap on Clayton (spec tire, open power)
BRL Finals Monti had .6 on Travis (with spec tire, spec power)
Twin Bridges Clayton's spec car had two seconds over the Reilley, and the gang

I think if you were to open everything up in the 13.5 blinky class it'd be faster overall, but not by laps.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
the class we are running in ft myers seems to be working great.. we run 13.5 open with wings but wgt tires all the way around.. just an idea!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My vote is 3.7v/Brushed CO27s! Why do we have to run brushless? IMO Stock motors were better and cheaper to operate. All we needed was batteries not to go off like shotgun shells. How bout an exhibition class at the birds.......

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
My vote is 3.7v/Brushed CO27s! Why do we have to run brushless? IMO Stock motors were better and cheaper to operate. All we needed was batteries not to go off like shotgun shells. How bout an exhibition class at the birds.......
How can brushed be cheaper when you have to keep replacing brushes, springs and truing comms and then replacing them every few months (depending how much you race) and then maintaining the comm truer w/diamond bits!!! HIGH maintenance program! Brushless all the way. Brushed motors should be outlawed. JMO! Flame away!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Man oh Man I'm just wondering what is the purpose of splitting up 13.5?
I don't have a dog in this hunt but it seems to me if you want to run slower then 13.5 open then run 17.5 open. I was thinking about running 13.5 spec as a 2nd class this season and then I realized
1. I had to buy spec tires, ok I can understand that, its suppose to be a spec class. When I hear spec class I think less dollars to compete AND a level playing field. BOY was I wrong about the Dead Presidents!!
2. I had to use a esc that could be programmed for blinky mode. OK I have one of those. THEN I start reading the thread on here about 13.5 blinky(trying to gain some knowledge) All I learned was there are a bunch of ESC's out there that racers are claiming are faster.Plus thats all they were talking about!! Whats that all about? what happened to the level playing field? So a Racer shows up with a Hong Kong special, wiz bang speedo that costs less then the rules say and BAM he's 2-3 tenths faster a lap. Now you can say all you want that his car was "right", he hit the set-up, he's a good wheel. IT don't matter to the guys in the pits. Only thing they know is he has an ESC that they don't. BUT they will have one like it next race. CHA-CHING
3. I had a buddy who ran 13.5 blinky at the Birds last year. He is a good wheel too. He spent most of the week looking for a big # rotor. He was convinced that was what was beating him. Could have been. But big # rotors are at a premium and not that easy to find, or have a racer give up. Unless he gets big bucks for it. Cha-Ching again.

I was talking to a Racer last week about blinky, spec. He said "I will never run spec, because I refuse to get beat by someone who has access to equipment that I can not get". He did'nt say "could'nt buy" he said "could'nt get"
I run 17.5 open and 13.5 Outlaw truck. I"m like a kid in a candy store when I shop for parts, batts, ESC's, tires etc. because I don't have to stop and think "Can I run that in spec".
17.5 truck, there's your spec class PLUS leave it for the Beginners and the Weekend Warriors.

Flame Away
Wade

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I don't have a dog in this hunt but it seems to me if you want to run slower then 13.5 open then run 17.5 open. I was thinking about running 13.5 spec as a 2nd class this season and then I realized
1. I had to buy spec tires, ok I can understand that, its suppose to be a spec class. When I hear spec class I think less dollars to compete AND a level playing field. BOY was I wrong about the Dead Presidents!!
2. I had to use a esc that could be programmed for blinky mode. OK I have one of those. THEN I start reading the thread on here about 13.5 blinky(trying to gain some knowledge) All I learned was there are a bunch of ESC's out there that racers are claiming are faster.Plus thats all they were talking about!! Whats that all about? what happened to the level playing field? So a Racer shows up with a Hong Kong special, wiz bang speedo that costs less then the rules say and BAM he's 2-3 tenths faster a lap. Now you can say all you want that his car was "right", he hit the set-up, he's a good wheel. IT don't matter to the guys in the pits. Only thing they know is he has an ESC that they don't. BUT they will have one like it next race. CHA-CHING
3. I had a buddy who ran 13.5 blinky at the Birds last year. He is a good wheel too. He spent most of the week looking for a big # rotor. He was convinced that was what was beating him. Could have been. But big # rotors are at a premium and not that easy to find, or have a racer give up. Unless he gets big bucks for it. Cha-Ching again.

I was talking to a Racer last week about blinky, spec. He said "I will never run spec, because I refuse to get beat by someone who has access to equipment that I can not get". He did'nt say "could'nt buy" he said "could'nt get"
I run 17.5 open and 13.5 Outlaw truck. I"m like a kid in a candy store when I shop for parts, batts, ESC's, tires etc. because I don't have to stop and think "Can I run that in spec".
17.5 truck, there's your spec class PLUS leave it for the Beginners and the Weekend Warriors.

Flame Away
Wade

I agree with you 100 %, Example: now instead of slowing 12th scale by just changing to a 17.5 motor we will have to run it in blinky. Wonderful I go out and buy a new car, now I will have to search for a big number rotor & low number stator not to mention a magic esc that will run the fastest lap because the rule change is for a few guys that are always asking for blinky or spec. All it accomplished was make the guys racing the class buy more stuff. Next we will have spec tire.

Tom

·
Registered
817 Posts
No fire/no flames,

No flaming but ........Which Hong Kong speedo is worth the extra speed? I want to know what to look for when the season starts? :dude:

·
Banned
3,250 Posts

Flame Away
Wade
What the Director is trying to do up here is run 17.5 open and 13.5 spec together. Speed is about the same from what we played with. No tires, body rules, everything open. If a couple guys don't want to search for ESC numbers, he can throw in a 13.5, switch his speedo to spec and run with those guys without feeling laps behind. Also trying to combine 10.5 open with 17.5 2 cell. Pretty close in speed there also. Just can't pry those 2 cells out of their hands!!! We'll see how this works.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The soap opera continues. BRL and TUOR rules are out and people still want to invent a new class.

WGT tires?? There are 2 classes that run them now. Spec classes! YAY!

Find a class you like and run it. Even if it wont be at and big races and you only run once a month...if thats your thing do it. Dont show up to other tracks and big races and whine because your not prepaired. Or dont run well.

I can tell ya now the rules are out and they aint changing for another year.

We can all chat about doing this and doing that. Why did they do this or that....well its done...get over it. If you and your local track wants to go off on your own little world with your own rules....its your choice. Most of us that aint running your track dont care. Personaly I like to race big events they are fun. I hardly win. But at least I know what to have and I have an idea on how to set my junk up....why? Because the places I race use consistant TOUR/BRL rules...and I am happy with that!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
If you and your local track wants to go off on your own little world with your own rules....its your choice. Most of us that aint running your track dont care. Personaly I like to race big events they are fun. I hardly win. But at least I know what to have and I have an idea on how to set my junk up....why? Because the places I race use consistant TOUR/BRL rules...and I am happy with that!

We are just happy to have a place to race regardless what the owner does. We tried to get him closer to BRL or Tour rules but this what he came up with is it is what it is.

·
Registered
817 Posts
All things

All things being equal a track owner/race director has to do what he thinks is best for him and the racers, who knows he may be on to something.....:dude:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We are just happy to have a place to race regardless what the owner does. We tried to get him closer to BRL or Tour rules but this what he came up with is it is what it is.
If ya have no choice....it is what it is. I dont see why you dont pick a few TOUR classes and run them then if you go to the Birds or Ovalmasters your set. No need to buy something new and something you wont use again.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
wow you guys took this thread and killed it in a hurry. the man asked a smiple question...does one have an advantage over the other, is one faster than the other. You start acting like a bunch of jack a$$es to this guy instead of answering a simple question. then we talk about majic speedos and the hunt for the big rotor blah blah blah....never once did anyone mention what most important and the most overlook aspect any type of racing- chassis set up!!!!! Pull your heads out of your asses and work on your race cars. At this point most everyone out there buys a car, comes on here, asks for someone else's set up...tries to build their car to monti's, or mayhew's, or bush's, or someone else's set up and thats where it ends. I've watched these people build their cars with no attention to detain, no thought of how their wires are routed, no thought to the fact they have 6 miles of extra wire, weights just slapped on the cars without a thought on how that effects the handling of the car. There's not attention to the detail on what components they use so that car is as light as possible so they can add weight where they want it etc etc. Then slap a big ole heavy body on it with lots of paint. In the end they arent as fast as they want to be but its not because of the car or the set up, its because they dont have the majic speedo and the big rotor blah blah blah. The best thing for some of you to do is run spec, buy one more, turn your speedo to blinky, buy ONE rotor if you think you need one, put 4 tires on the car that you cant change and learn what your race car needs.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We ran 17.5 open last year. Because the speeds are a little slower the track owner wants it to be more of a bigginer class. Wher drivers can work on chassis setups and not worry about timing setups. We had racers that wanted to move from short course truck to pan car but felt overwhelmed by learning a new car and the timming thing. So if he goes to a no esc timing class we will gain entries. The reason for running both 17.5 open and 13.5 spec together is because he doesn't want the 17.5 guys to have to go out and buy new motors to go close to the same speed. But by the end of the season hopes to have them all to 13.5 spec. After the rules are made they will be locked in for 2 years for stability.

All in all I think its a great plan. I know it may not follow rules that already exist but it will increase pan car entries at our track and all but one or two racer dont travel to the big BRL or Tour events. After all we race for free

Thanks for your replies!
Sam

1 - 20 of 38 Posts