Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have a MDT with a B&S 14.5 HP (Type 1224-E1 / Model 287707) That has been a royal pain. I'll give full chronological details...

Purchased Tractor from some guy for $175 as is. I'm told it needs a new battery.

Buy a new battery, pop it in and it still wont turn over. just turns the crank a little and then gives up.

I charge it with my car...

After a while I get it to turn over and it starts. It runs real well.

For the next 6 weeks, it will only start while getting jumped. I ritualistically jump it each time I use it.

It sits for 3 weeks while I’m on vacation.

I try to start it using the normal ritual and it fires up as usual only this time it smokes from the exhaust. I figured it was a bad valve seal and it leaked oil into the cylinder over break. after it ran at idle for about 45 seconds, I hit the throttle (presumable to burn the oil out) and it BELLLOWED! White smoke like a military style smoke grenade for about 5 seconds and then died.

Baffled I stared to check things out. I pulled out the dipstick and saw that it was way too full. So I emptied the crankcase into a pan and it reeked of gas. OK, so it’s a float that is stuck... I put new oil in it, get a new plug and go through my start-up ritual again and it starts...

Still smoking just like the first time.

Any Ideas???

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.