Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been running a 13.5 1S class for several weeks at our track. Everyone has been very close in speed until lately. A couple of racers have shown up with the Ballistic motors from Novak. Everyone else is running the older 13.5 motors (mine is about 3 years old). I have been racing for many years and understand that setup is key, but their seems to be a major difference in speed. Is their any difference between the ballistic 13.5 and the older 13.5s? Thanks in advance for any answers.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
We have been running a 13.5 1S class for several weeks at our track. Everyone has been very close in speed until lately. A couple of racers have shown up with the Ballistic motors from Novak. Everyone else is running the older 13.5 motors (mine is about 3 years old). I have been racing for many years and understand that setup is key, but their seems to be a major difference in speed. Is their any difference between the ballistic 13.5 and the older 13.5s? Thanks in advance for any answers.
You say that your motor is about 3 years old. Have you ever ckecked the rotor? A rotor can make a difference. As for the difference, it could be that the motors are newer with stronger rotors..

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been reading on Novak's website and it looks like the newer motors have sintered rotors. I'm guessing this is probably the difference.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You guys check volts on the 1 cells?something important in one cell is to make sure you are charging to the track limit if its 4.22 make sure you are there 4.19 does not cut it.

I just switched from a ss to ballistic it did not make my car a rocket what did help is charging the lipo all the way up to the limit at least 1/2 to 3/4 lap diffrence.

I do how ever like how you can if say you have a Tekin turn the esc timing up and the motor down or esc down motor up or both up ect.

I have only ran it one week still messing with timing ect.

Jake

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
I have been reading on Novak's website and it looks like the newer motors have sintered rotors. I'm guessing this is probably the difference.
Sintered is the only way to go. Nobody runs the old gray thing!!! Slap a Sintered one in there and you'll see the difference! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
You guys check volts on the 1 cells?something important in one cell is to make sure you are charging to the track limit if its 4.22 make sure you are there 4.19 does not cut it.

Jake

I beg to differ on that. i only own a checkpoint charger. I showed up at 4.18 in tech every time

qualified 2nd finished 2nd and only I and tq went 59 laps. and ran in 3.9 sec range rest of the field was 4.0. and they all had gfx's showing up to tech @ 4.24 (our track limit)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I beg to differ on that. i only own a checkpoint charger. I showed up at 4.18 in tech every time

qualified 2nd finished 2nd and only I and tq went 59 laps. and ran in 3.9 sec range rest of the field was 4.0. and they all had gfx's showing up to tech @ 4.24 (our track limit)
Sounds like you have a better set up car.faster lap times is probely not as important as how long your car set up makes the volts last like a more freed up car.you racing on carpet?

Jake

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
high bite asphalt baby it is florida
Its all relative Dave just pointing out try not to leave anything on the table.I would bet you charge up to the limit you would see a change it might not be 2 laps but every bit helps.mabey 2 more 3.9 or mabey 4 more 4.0s in tight racing you need everything you can get.

I know nothing about asphalt, rain and 37 here today.:(

Jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts