Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any opinions on 12th scale tires? what about the new crc pro-cuts?
Which compounds last the longest?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Burbs- thanks, does bsr have the larger wheel size that has become so popular? this is the main reason I mentioned them.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
charger01 said:
Burbs- thanks, does bsr have the larger wheel size that has become so popular? this is the main reason I mentioned them.
Yes! John has just come out with a new rim that is the same size as CRC but on a band new rim that he just released a month ago. Give him a call.

-Monti-

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've had much better luck using RC for less 1/12th scale tires on my carpet knife than the current crc tires both old style and pro cuts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Rc4less has the best rubber out there by far. I have had no issues with tires chunking using rc4less. Give Bruce a call I promise you wont be dissappointed.

H. Garcia

·
Registered
129 Posts
Chunking happens when you hit something. As long as the tire stays glued on the wheel, there is no one brand that is less or more prone to chunking. I would spend less time looking in the trash can and more time looking in the winners circle. That's where you will find the JACO's.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I may be sponsored by Jaco but I can tell you that I ran 12th scale at 4 major races (3 A mains) this winter in On-road and have NEVER to this date chunked a 12th scale tire OR peeled one from the rim!! And I hit enough stuff to test them!!

If you are chunking tires then you do not have your body mounted properly or wheel wells cut the right way and are tapping boards. But even if your body is cut the right way tapping boards will not cause chunked tires for the most part.

EA

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
My apologies for posting my expirience with brand a tires..I guess my expirience and wasted 100+ on tires isnt a reason for concern..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Burbs
I am not a new racer, but where I race in Pa we are still in the stone age! to give you some idea, 10l3's are still a fairly new car! In all seriousness I appreciate what you said and since I am really new at computers I am also apreciative of hobbytalk.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Tires can infact chunk without touching a thing, even with a properly mounted body.

At the IIC race, I wrenched Jeff Dayger's 1/12th Mod car all week. He wasn't running JACO's, but the tires he was running chunked... both rears chunked as well as the fronts started to peel/tear the sidewalls while on a TQ run. He never touched a thing, and he pulled off once the tire problems surfaced, at about the 6.5 minitue mark. It wasn't a glue failure, rather the foam was actually tearing.

I was informed after that heat that I needed to glue all sidewalls of all tires to keep this from happening, even though the car wasn't attempting to traction roll, (which is the only time I've ever glued sidewalls prior to this).
After gluing the sidewalls, we never had another problem the remainder of the week. He qualified 9th, and drove it up to 3rd, "rubbing doors" a bit with others on his way to the front. Even after the contact in the main, tires and sidewalls were fine...

I attended the Int'l Classic at St. Roch in Canada a couple of weeks ago. Top 3 1/12th cars were all on BSR's new larger diameter wheels, and none had tire issues that weren't self inflicted.

Hope this helps...:thumbsup:

Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since we guarantee all of our tires 100% for gluing defects and we have yet to have a single tire returned for that reason, I can only assume you are very unlucky or very wrong. We use the same glueing process and glue as some of the other brands you mentioned. Why would our tires be more prone to coming unglued? In fact, this is not a problem I have even heard about. Do you think these top drivers would risk losing a race by running a tire that was coming apart right out of the box? Contrary to what you may believe, the reason the top drivers run JACO is BECAUSE of the quality and consistency not DESPITE it. These guys are free to run whatever they want and they choose JACO.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Jack Rimer said:
Since we guarantee all of our tires 100% for gluing defects and we have yet to have a single tire returned for that reason, I can only assume you are very unlucky or very wrong. We use the same glueing process and glue as some of the other brands you mentioned. Why would our tires be more prone to coming unglued? In fact, this is not a problem I have even heard about. Do you think these top drivers would risk losing a race by running a tire that was coming apart right out of the box? Contrary to what you may believe, the reason the top drivers run JACO is BECAUSE of the quality and consistency not DESPITE it. These guys are free to run whatever they want and they choose JACO.
Jack,
I heard Danny has been doing years of some intense glue research for you in pool halls throughout Canada...because if it can hold felt to slate, it can hold foam to plastic...:thumbsup::cool:;)

-TP

·
Registered
709 Posts
Burbs - I think it's funny that Jaco's gluing process stinks yet we are able to run over 70+mph with Jaco's 1/8 tires for an hour long race with no chunking and no failures. In fact, other companies have been so impressed with Jaco's rubber quality and gluing machines that they have turned to Jaco to produce their tires for them.... Other companies who do mount the tires themselves still buy their rubber from Jaco....

As far as the Novak Race - that track/traction level gave us all fits. For some reason, that track would tear the outsides edges of ANY tire - especially if you ran them too big. We tried adding camber and then the inside edge would be torn as well. We tried different glues and all sorts of things - square edges, rounded edges - nothing really mattered. This had nothing to do with the rim/foam or 2-stage as this never happens at any other track I've been to..... The Novak Race is definatly not a good example as everyone had tire trouble there.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I dont think a manufacture needs to claim how good they are if they are winning!

I think who ever is in the market for tires should look at what is working at thier home track. And or run what ever looks great with their paint scheme!! Orange works great! :thumbsup: :tongue:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Let's interpret some of the BS on this thread.

Sponsored racers love X brand tire- sponsored racers say they love whatever tire they are given for free/discount.

If X tire is winning then that's all the proof you need about it's quality - X tire is winning in part due to x battery and x chassis and x top level driver. Put all those components together with Y tire and I'd bet that Y tire would win just as often.

Average racers such as myself don't appreciate being talked down to or force fed "buy our stuff because it wins" . Average racers have a budget and can't afford to run tires 1 or 2 times before throwing them away. What the average racer wants to know is how to get the most bang for our buck. Tires are a big part of any racing budget.

At least we got an explaination that in high bite conditions that ANY tire at ANY size will chunk and the solution was to glue the sidewalls - Thank you Josh Cyrul and Todd Putnum. This is the type of information that average racers need to know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
IndyRC_Racer said:
Average racers such as myself don't appreciate being talked down to or force fed "buy our stuff because it wins" . Average racers have a budget and can't afford to run tires 1 or 2 times before throwing them away. What the average racer wants to know is how to get the most bang for our buck. Tires are a big part of any racing budget.
Average manufacturers don't take too kindly to getting bashed in an open forum. I have every right to defend myself against what I feel are untrue and misleading statements. Why don't you jump on the guy who claims our tires come unglued? My only recourse is to prove him wrong by backing up my argument with facts, ie. race results. Nobody is force feeding you anything. I'm just trying to stick up for my company. I won't be criticized for that. Anyone who gave a shit would do the same.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts