Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , i have an old tucemseh craftsman tractor that is probably 10 years old and i bought it for 20 dollars. I had to replace the deck belt and the the transmission belt. Then i had to put a new carb on it. i had it running for a while and still do but if i let it sit for a while the next time i start it up it will smoke thick white smoke out of the muffler. I had let it sit for about a month and when i returned to it it had some oil leaked on the ground from the muffler. I was wonder if this is a cracked engine block or the gasket on the head is bad. The OHV's gasket is fine though. What could be causing this?
Thanks Matt

·
Registered
649 Posts
Those older ohv Tecumseh weren't bad motors, my neighbor had one last 25+ years before he sold the tractor. Check your oil for gasoline contamination, this would indicate a carburetor issue like what pyro stated. Those engines engines if parked on an incline were known for blowing smokes when first started, but were not known for blowing head gaskets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I checked out my OHV gasket and it is letting some oil drip down on to the muffler, then letting it smoke. But i still see that it blows some smoke out of the muffler. I took it all apart but i didn't know how to remove the OHV box, so i couldn't remove the cylinder head to check the piston ring gasket. If i do fix the gasket on the OHV box and it still blows some smoke out the muffler should i clean out the fuel tank? What are some ways to clean out a fuel tank?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts