Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen the pictures but rctvlive.com said they saw new lipo packs that may change things again. it was on their facebook page. :freak:

3200 nimh cells are looking good now

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
During the TOUR battery approval process we had a compnay tell us they were going to release a battery with 100 C label on it. Fromwhat we gather that is promotional idea not reality.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is getting a little out of hand. Good thing there are organizations like yours to keep things in check. On rctvlive's facebook page they did not have much else about it. maybe they will have some pictures

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
fellas only "we" the racer can end the battery of the month thing...we need to speak loud and clear to track promoters that we do not want to run battery A or battery B...it is 100% up to us and 100% our fault if we do nothing but complain on a r/c thread

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
fellas only "we" the racer can end the battery of the month thing...we need to speak loud and clear to track promoters that we do not want to run battery A or battery B...it is 100% up to us and 100% our fault if we do nothing but complain on a r/c thread
Katfish, I will go along with you on this.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I agree totally. I have always said that the fastest way to kill a product is to NOT BUY IT. If we step up and let the tracks and manufacturers know that we don't want another battery war, maybe they will listen.

I still don't understand why there cannot be a "C" rating limit put into effect. Regardless of how irrelevant that number may be, it still keeps a check on the batteries, while not excluding any company from the mix.

Yeah, so the TP 40c and the SMC 50c may not be comparable, who cares? The point is that if you place a limit (say 50c) for a current year, then you either buy your 40c packs, or you buy your 50c packs from your favorite manufacturer and you go race. If two months later SMC wants to bring out a 60c pack, go for it.......but it ain't legal, so don't even waste your time with it. Once the next season comes around and batteries are evaluated again, then maybe they are made legal for that season.

Just an idea, with a few holes in it probably, but an idea none the less.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Why do you guys keep going on and on about this stuff?!?!?! There is already a rule! One batch of legal batteries per season. That's it! It's done!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
lmao pat a rules that in am 90% sure won't be followed because few guys will wine and cry and the track owners will give in

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I could've had a 200c battery last year and it wouldn't have done a bit of good. LOL!!!!! Dave hit the nail on the head... this whole TOUR deal is out the window on a weekly basis if track owners / promoters don't hold to the rules package.

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT UNITY!!!! not c ratings on batteries. TOUR could mandate SMC 25c rating only and if track owners don't enforce it then it's useless.

On the other hand, we as racers need to agree to the unity deal and follow TOUR's lead. It's up to us to follow the rules in order to unify OVAL...

...If you want to be an idiot and skirt the edge of the rules to pull off a win at club race you probably need some serious help because your life is useless. The big 4 TOUR races will follow the rules to the letter and so if you got the skills you think you got; follow the rules that everyone else is running, stop trying to figure out new ways to cheat, tune your car so that it's fast, and drive the wheels off of it... oh and as Mad Max says... "quit ruinin my LIFE!!!!"

My 2 cents,
Bill

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
100C is just the burst rating on the new Thunder Power pack.. they have a 50C/100C battery now. 50C continuous with 100C burst. Their 40C shows 80C burst (40C/80C). 50C will probably never be noticed in stock/spec classes (just full blown 3.0 modified maybe).

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
There are only TWO WAYS to stop the BATTERY of the WEEK THING!!

But nobody else seems to have the

to enforce something to fix it!!

YOU Either SPEC it to ONE MFG. ONE PRODUCT - PERIOD
or you CREATE the SPECS and LOCK THEM IN - and REFUSE to allow New Stuff in.

If this were done for ONE class ONLY - and ONE class is allowed to contine to chase WHAT EVER New Stuff comes down the pipe - you could keep BOTH worlds happy - but it will NEVER HAPPEN!

South-West Tour Series
a Joe Myers Event
Powered and Sponsored by
NOVAK BRUSHLESS MOTORS & TEAM ORION "Spec" Lipos

·
Registered
964 Posts
If my understanding of 'c' rating is correct I can safely discharge a tp 5000 mah 40c one cell at 200 amps and a smc 4900 mah 50c at 245 amps. So if you go to 100c on a tp pack I can discharge at 500 amps. wow.
Anybody got a really good motor I can borrow. haha
The way I see it high 'c' rating don't mean crap.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
The C rating was a big deal when I flew planes since you would run the pack right up to the limit of the C rating, both burst and constant. If you went over you risked damaging the pack. Now for cars with 1C packs, we are so far beyond the amp limits it doesnt matter for harming the packs. 8th scale buggies have been puffing pack due to high discharge rates and I have heard of guy running 3.5T mod doing it as well.
It can matter as the C rating is somewhat proportional to the internal resistance of the cell under load. A higher C rating has less resistance, hence less heat and higher voltage under load. People have tested various C ratings and the higher the C rating, the better the voltage tends to be under load, so you get more acceleration and top speed. Problem is there does not seem to be a standard rating. So a 25C from company A may be like a 40C from company B. It also depends on how much current your motor draws. A 13.5 doesnt draw that much so a little difference in resistance doesnt change the voltage as much. If the current is higher the voltage drop is more apparent and the lower C packs tend to be slower. V (volts)=I (amps) X R (resistance)

John

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Tell me how you would tech the C rating? The label could say 25C but have an 50C pack in the case.
You cannot.

The "C" rating is only a measurement of the maximum rated "rate of charge/discharge".

On the higher wind motors, it is really meaningless. It will really come into play in the low-wind classes, 7.5 and lower.

In the higher wind classes, what matters is what has always mattered. VOLTAGE and low IR.

All of this is moot if the car is junk, again this has always mattered.

Go NITRO, leave the battery wars behind...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts