Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thoght it was all over I walk into WM to buy some groceries and took a walk over to the diecast aisle and find the new Dukes series cars. Pick up the General and the Monaco and toss them into the cart. Happy as a pig in mud I stroll out of the other end of the aisle and then...........BAM a bin full of $1 JL cars and some different releases than the first ones I saw a month ago. No WL but do I care when I got a stroller of cars for a $1 each??? UMMMMMMMMMMMM NO!!!!!!! And the search continues!!!!!

·
Mustang Collector
4,090 Posts
I think the mods should place a ban on all Canadian members until this is over. I am getting really jealous. ;)

Just kidding congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Puppycat said:
I think the mods should place a ban on all Canadian members until this is over. I am getting really jealous. ;)
No kidding,I'd love to see a dump bin of JL's at my local WM,sure would beat looking at the same lincoln futura and '59 cadillac (with bent rear axle) sitting on the peg.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If anyone could pick me up any JL 1998 thru 2002 firebirds , I'll pay you for them. Im trying to come up with 100 extras for a milezone project.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
Interesting that it is the new Dukes series and not one of the older series. Do you suppose they are dumping them in Canada as opposed to the US as a favor/or part of an agreement to their OLD's?

·
Registered
53 Posts
man!! I wish they could send some $1.00 JL's to wally's in the US!! Why only canada?! We'd buy them too!! RC2 needs to share the wealth!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I found the latest Mopar or No Car set at my TRU yesterday, got the Dodge 330, and the 'Cuda Convert.
No red RoadRunners though. :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wrote to RC2 asking them why only Canada... after my second attempt, they replied with a very terse, one line statement -- "Toys R Us did this program last year, Walmart Canada did it this year."

I'd beg to differ -- I don't recall hundreds of boxes hitting each TRU, only the two-packs. This is more than a dump, this is a blitzkrieg.

r4

G

·
My neighbourhood WM has bunches of $1 JLs warming the pegs lately - the usual suspects: monopoly, poker, zingers, spoilers, what some (not me) would call oddball stuff. There hasn't been much day-to-day turnover of late. I hope the well isn't going dry.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
fly__life said:
Just when I thoght it was all over I walk into WM to buy some groceries and took a walk over to the diecast aisle and find the new Dukes series cars. Pick up the General and the Monaco and toss them into the cart. Happy as a pig in mud I stroll out of the other end of the aisle and then...........BAM a bin full of $1 JL cars and some different releases than the first ones I saw a month ago. No WL but do I care when I got a stroller of cars for a $1 each??? UMMMMMMMMMMMM NO!!!!!!! And the search continues!!!!!
Were the Dukes cars $1 also?

·
Registered
107 Posts
roger4 said:
I wrote to RC2 asking them why only Canada... after my second attempt, they replied with a very terse, one line statement -- "Toys R Us did this program last year, Walmart Canada did it this year."

I'd beg to differ -- I don't recall hundreds of boxes hitting each TRU, only the two-packs. This is more than a dump, this is a blitzkrieg.

r4
I think the decision to dump the cars in Canada was to limit competition with new stock (and some older stock) of Johnny Lightning product here in the U.S. and with online dealers. If collectors in JLs primary market (US) are spending their bucks on $1 blowout JLs, then they are going to be less likely to shell out $4-5 for the latest releases.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
New JLs are selling in the $5 range for regulars and $6 for licensed material.

The $1 older stock deal was very short-lived in many areas.
One to two weeks, tops.
And if you weren't in the store everyday at opening time, the pickings weren't always nice.
Some stores only got about 50 cases.
In other areas, some stores may have gotten up to 200 cases.
The selection varied drastically.
Some areas got a lot of Poker releases 1 and 2 plus Monopoly 2006.
Some stores got a ton of Street Freaks 17, 18 and 19, etc.
Some stores got lots of American Beauty, Auction Insanity, Calendar 2007.
And other stores got lots of Chevy Thunder and other similiar stuff.
It didn't last long.
And then there were the guys who were wheeling out shopping carts full of JLs each day so I have been told by many others.
And then there were the pallet raiders.
There are individuals who like to point out that they got 40, 50, 60, or 70 WLs.
How many cases did they search? Hundreds probably.
And I am happy for all those collectors who were able to benefit from this once in a lifetime opportunity.

You know what, I really don't care if I didn't find many.
I was able to pick up a few JLs for a $1 for myself.
I would have liked to have found more.
But it didn't happen.
I'm still happy.
Life goes on.

I have been collecting JLs for years.
I know that it was a one shot deal.
I am still collecting Johnny Lightnings.
I still put my pants on one leg at a time.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
kevin5qwe said:
man!! I wish they could send some $1.00 JL's to wally's in the US!! Why only canada?! We'd buy them too!! RC2 needs to share the wealth!!
Yeah, that would be really cool. I used to get excited walking into a Wal-Mart & seeing a huge BOD full of Brand X. Can't imagine what that would be like seeing a BOD full of Johnnies :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think the scalpers and the hoarders ruin it for regular collectors and it's no longer a hobby ....... it's all about $$$$$$$$$. Just look at evil bay. Most of the WL cars are from Canadians. I got a few WL but to be honest with you what's the bid deal??? 1 of 100 or 200 .... and?? Other than bragging rights which I still don't know what's to brag about it's the same car with white wheels, base or interior. I don't collect diecast as an investment, I collect cause I love old muscle and classic cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts