Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it too early to tell which 1 cell pack will be the hot ticket for the upcoming winter season? Assuming that all the currently (or soon to be) available 1 cell packs (SMC 40c&50c, TP40c, Reedy, Epic etc) gain ROAR approval come Oct 1st. Has anybody had a chance to do any real life testing using either cycle numbers or even better track testing to compare any of these packs? I hope this doesn't turn into a "My sponsor's pack is better than your sponsors pack" conversation for the sake of us low budget racers that are waiting for the dust to settle before deciding what to purchase for the upcoming winter season. Bob

·
Registered
901 Posts
:)

Hey Bob, I agree with you it would suck if it did turn into "my sponsors pack is better than your sponsor pack", heck it is already going on with chassis "my sponsors chassis is better than yours". Thanks Scott

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I can only speak for the SMC single cells but I have tested the 40C and 50C back to back to back to back on the track in 12th scale onroad. I dould tell ZERO difference in them on the track. Cycle numbers were all so close that by looking at the numbers you couldnt tell which was 40C and which was 50C.

I think a lot of guys get to caught up in the C Rating game. Also on that note I could tell a big difference in an older SMC Single cell pack (24C 4000) and the newer 40-50C packs. About .3 a lap average faster with the newer stuff.

I was talking to Sean C the other day and he had just gotten the Reed Single cell pack and we talked cycle numbers and they were pretty much identical as the SMC's. But that is on different machines on different coast.
EA

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
"But, my Sponsor's brushless motor is way better than your Sponsor's......":wave:

...because I say so.

Hey Bob, I agree with you it would suck if it did turn into "my sponsors pack is better than your sponsor pack", heck it is already going on with chassis "my sponsors chassis is better than yours". Thanks Scott

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only speak for the SMC single cells but I have tested the 40C and 50C back to back to back to back on the track in 12th scale onroad. I dould tell ZERO difference in them on the track. Cycle numbers were all so close that by looking at the numbers you couldnt tell which was 40C and which was 50C.

I think a lot of guys get to caught up in the C Rating game. Also on that note I could tell a big difference in an older SMC Single cell pack (24C 4000) and the newer 40-50C packs. About .3 a lap average faster with the newer stuff.

I was talking to Sean C the other day and he had just gotten the Reed Single cell pack and we talked cycle numbers and they were pretty much identical as the SMC's. But that is on different machines on different coast.
EA
Thanks EA. Good info. We need more real life data like this instead of arguing about what is printed on the label of the pack. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
testing

now didnt do these tests but i do trust the result
the test was done by frank mertz and posted on a different page

and this is what he said
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I got my 50C pack in the mail. I bought one because I wanted to see how it differed from the other packs. I cycled it today and below are the numbers from the SMC 50C pack, the SMC 40C pack and the Thunder Power 40C pack. These are all of the numbers I got for the first cycle.

Thunder Power 40C
Weight - 5.25 oz
A.I.R. - 3.8
Discharge - 525
Avg. V. - 3.70
Volt. @ 60 - 3.89
Volt. @ 120 - 3.82
Volt. @ 180 - 3.75
Volt. @ 240 - 3.68

SMC 40C #1
Weight - 5.16 oz
A.I.R. - 4.3
Discharge - 532
Avg. V. - 3.67
Volt. @ 60 - 3.89
Volt. @ 120 - 3.79
Volt. @ 180 - 3.72
Volt. @ 240 - 3.65

SMC 40C #2
Weight - 5.16 oz
A.I.R. - 4.2
Discharge - 517
Avg. V. - 3.67
Volt. @ 60 - 3.83
Volt. @ 120 - 3.78
Volt. @ 180 - 3.71
Volt. @ 240 - 3.65

SMC 50C
Weight - 5.15 oz
A.I.R. - 3.9
Discharge - 511
Avg. V. - 3.68
Volt. @ 60 - 3.91
Volt. @ 120 - 3.80
Volt. @ 180 - 3.72
Volt. @ 240 - 3.65

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
now i dont have a battery sponsor but i am glad i own the thunder power batteries:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
but it's the labels that make them fast!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
In head to head comparisions that i have done there thunder power kills the smc in the first minute. The TP pack holds 4+volts at 35 amps for over 60 seconds and the smc 4900 40c on 35 seconds.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Based on Frank's numbers, the SMC 40c and 50c look pretty darn close to me. Certainly close enough to tone down the uproar of a new 50c coming out right after a 40c pack.

I think for those that bought the 40c packs, you shouldn't worry too much about the guy beside you running the 50c pack.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
but the problem is if u let them run the 50c and thunder power decides to make a real 50c then what do u do i know i would buy the true 50c u

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
we are having this problem at are track right know some poeple have bought 40c already some have not and we dont know what to do to make everyone happy (battery of the month )here we go again

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Tour already addressed this for us. they will be in contact with the battery companies to get part numbers on the batteries that will be legal.

trinity and reedy will have a 40c battery. but i would guess all 4 or 5 batteries will be very close.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I've had the oppertunity to cycle 5 TP packs and only one SMC but I assure you that ALL 5 TP packs hold 4+ volts for between 62 and 72 seconds. Granted I have only had the chance to cycle 1 smc but it didnt hold 4 volts for more than 35 seconds.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.