Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this topic disappeared down a hole about a year ago I thought I'd revive it. Dave has the bulk of the printed parts done and if you follow the link you can see everything I have so far. Just got a laser-cut plexiglas armature for the interior so one of the photos shows pretty well how the midsection of the ship looks fitted onto that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lazymodeler/sets/72157644653412223/

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have one of the old Cygnus model kits they had out, but this thing you have looks amazing! I'd love to have one, but I bet it costs a lot. Anyways, great kit, and hope to see finished pics when done.

MBZ. :wave:

·
Registered
222 Posts
What are the dimentions of the big spine piece?

Oh never mind answered my own question by looking on Shapeways lol

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow! That's pretty impressive!
I have to agree! While I have no desire to have/build this ship, I do like the design. This is the perfect subject for 3D printing, and I look forward to seeing it finished and lit. Thanks for reviving the thread, I didn't see it previously.

P.S. If you bought only one of each piece shown on Shapeways, The price would be just shy of $400. Dang, Shapeways is expensive!!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Sweet! That price isn't at all out of line of other kits I've seen alone those same lines and refined detail. In fact, it's actually cheaper than a few I've seen that can be printed via Shapeways.

Is there going to be a scale Palomino and Probe Ship?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There will be a Palomino; Dave figures the probe ship would only be a quarter inch long or something so I don't think he's doing that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I would think that would be proprietary. :) After all the work and money he's put into this thing I don't think he would want to give it away for free.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I figured as much, but had to ask. I have a friend with a 3D printer at home. Was looking to save some money over Shapeways cost.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually I spoke too soon--Dave says he is making it "open source" so you should look into contacting him about it--he's close to finished with the bow parts. If you go on shape ways and search under "primitive dave" there should be a way to contact him through the site.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Be aware though that some parts are large--the main upper and lower spine pieces are around 19 inches long I think.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Thanks for the info Jeff. The Black Hole holds a special place in my heart, as do most animated movies from Disney. You see, my late cousin Dorse Lanpher was an animator at Disney. His first screen credit was Sleeping Beauty back in 1959. He worked on just about every Disney movie since then. He did a short stint at Don Bluth for a bit too. He worked on The Black Hole. He was a special effects supervisor, and anything animated that was light, fire, sparks, smoke, etc. he did.

Remember the animated video game Dragons Lair from the 80's? He worked on that as well. The voice of the Princess in the game belonged to his wife, Vera.

So I think it would be great to do a really accurate model of this ship in his memory.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's cool--I think I actually do remember Dragon's Lair even though I wasn't a big video game person. I remember them making a big deal about how Disney animators worked on the game.

I really don't like the movie as a MOVIE--but I do very much admire the Disney artistry that went into it, the Cygnus very much included.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You might consider making a new part, perhaps hexagonal...in that several Cygnus hulls could be arms of a lattice like space station.

Maybe a variant closer to the slab sided McCall version, or the somewhat wider version seen in the painting of the Cygnus...above the table.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts