Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all; I've been going through a few boxes and I am very happy to bring this one out again - it's my WIP of the McDaniel Models TOS Dreadnought. It has been sitting because of a technical issue for the last few years when the first coat of primer on the resin secondary cap stayed sticky and wouldn't dry. This has been its state for the last few years and this last pull-out of this project seems to show that the paint is no longer sticky- perhaps finally I can continue this project!

This is the state of the project as of today. Mostly in sub-assembly stage, tantalizingly close to having been completed. There are some repairs to be made, of course, some more blending issues to be done and then the matter of reattachment of the lower saucer (having broken off some time ago) and then the alignment of the engines, etc!

I have to admit that I did one cheat on this model - I couldn't make the original supplied engines work (the vac parts were all bowed like bananas) so I raided the last few engines I had from some scrapped ships. The engines will be further upgraded by replacing the rear caps with Accurate Part Production end caps. I've already replaced the flux chillers with the Accurate Part pieces; I used the kit intercoolers - one has gone AWOL so I will have to see if I have an extra. I'm considering not using the massive "upper/lower bridges" (according to the instruction sheets) and get a couple of Conny-class lower saucer sensor arrays for this ship.

I now hope to get to this ship just after Christmas (and before New Year's). This ship will be the class ship USS Federation NCC-2100.

I have waiting in the wings a second McDaniel DN. That saucer top has a different shape than my WIP. It also has decals (which were always optional w/ McDaniel models) but she is misnamed by the numbers provided.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
It's still around, but needs a repaint.

This is a Franz Joseph design of a Dreadnaught, the U.S.S. Star Union NCC-2112.

This model was built out of pine in the same scale as the drawing, 1/2000. All components were turned in a wood lathe. Some minor detais are made in metal. The numbers were painted using a brush. I built this when I was 14 and in the future I will be repainting it with some more convincing numbers.

This is the same model with some computer enhancements. The shape of the lights, numbers and pennants have been changed to better represent the Franz Joseph design.

I wish Dad na I had built it in the 18"er scale. The drawing scale doesn't match anything.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Right on, Barry! Very kewel to see these pulled back out after all these years. I think I still have pics you had sent me three or so years back, as a matter of fact. Might have even been longer than that! You've got almost as many "in progress works" as I do! :D

Shame that Cory got unreliable in his delivery of kits, as I'm sure he'd still be selling these kits of his. Especially since the old 1/650 scale TOS Enterprise kits have made a resurgence. I know that those kits that were fairly high quality fetch a fairly decent amount on eBay whenever they pop up.

BTW, got the Christmas Card today! Thank ya kindly! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's still around, but needs a repaint.

I wish Dad and I had built it in the 18"er scale. The drawing scale doesn't match anything.
Thanks for the picture, Trevor! With your decal making skills today I'm sure you do convincing lettering. Make your lettering half the size of the 1/1000 kit and you'll be laughing!! :)

I hope I have the chance to see it in person someday.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
There's also a matter of filling the wood grain and little wood chips with putty and then smoothing out the whole thing. I also like the newer thinking of turing the top warp engine so that the notch for the intercooler faces up at the top.

The lettering isn't realy the problem. It's the red pennants and banner that is. I have the problem of having a black ink Lazer printer. Good part is that the ink doesn't run or need a clear coat to protect it...bad part is all colours become black. I don't have the $3000 for a colour Lazer either.

Glad you like it!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on, Barry! Very kewel to see these pulled back out after all these years. I think I still have pics you had sent me three or so years back, as a matter of fact. Might have even been longer than that! You've got almost as many "in progress works" as I do! :D

Shame that Cory got unreliable in his delivery of kits, as I'm sure he'd still be selling these kits of his. Especially since the old 1/650 scale TOS Enterprise kits have made a resurgence. I know that those kits that were fairly high quality fetch a fairly decent amount on eBay whenever they pop up.

BTW, got the Christmas Card today! Thank ya kindly! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jeff! The pictures here are new shots. I have the older pictures you have in a file...somewhere! LOL! And I only told you about the "in-progress" models that I had easily accessible at the time! LOL!

It's a shame about Cory's business. His kits were very good and simple to work with. He provided a lot of good info that really got me trying vac kits seriously. The DN isn't the only McDaniel kit I have that is well along; there's also the Surya and Endeavour class ships but both need work as well before I can bring them to being finished. I still consider the McDaniel models a delight for me to work with and I still have a few packed up for eventual builds. ;)

Here's a teaser shot for you, Jeff... I'm sure you'll know what this is! This is a nice little one to work on.

Attachments

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
I've got the McDaniels DN in a box too, but I was very disappointed with it. For one thing he made the ship basically the same size as the AMT Enterprise and his other FJ kits - the saucer is no bigger, and the 2ndary hull is no bigger. That's just plain wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Yeah, that was one of my issues w/those old McDaniel kits, too, tho I never owned very many. I think he addressed that question one time and said the saucer size was due to the small size of his vac-forming table.

Here's a teaser shot for you, Jeff... I'm sure you'll know what this is! This is a nice little one to work on.
Oh, yeah! The Gorn are back! :D

I actually just pulled out my old 1/2500 scale Gorn from RBM Models, coincidentally. Was going thru a box and got to think I could perhaps hit them w/a minor bit of sanding and putty to get the hulls finished, then put them back in a box since my primary focus is still BSG.

Anyhow, more pics of your DN! :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Trevor, it's not really in a scale all of it's own. While I knew that the saucer was undersized, I was unaware that the issue was likely the restrictions of Cory's vac table until Jeff mentioned it above. It is probably more precise to say that the parts of the DN model aren't correctly scaled to its other parts. Even the 18" E has that problem. Still... having a properly sized primary hull would do a lot for this model! BTW, even though Cory's ships were all scaled to the 18" TOS E, that base ship model really isn't 1/650; it's more like 1/630(ish).

I do not agree with John about the size of the DN secondary hull to the 18" E. It's definitely larger than the 18"er secondary hull and I will take some additional pics to compare the hulls. Please note that I am putting myself in the position to possibly put my foot firmly in my mouth with that statement!

I do agree with John that the assembled McDaniel DN is close in length to the TOS E model. This is based on some rough comparisons in sub assembly stage when I taped hulls and engines together in a rather flimsy and very likely not proper positioned parts. I hope to be able to address that once I get more sub assemblies together. Maybe even fudge things a bit by altering slightly the engine mounting point to get a longer ship.

Jeff- I thought you'd recognize that model!! She's not quite ready to be assembled as I have a little more to go to remove the backing sheet material from one of the hull halves. The rest is ready to go! I sure would have liked to have had a few of the other SFB ships he did; the Kzinti ship and the Federation NCL. Sadly, I don't know if the NCL was ever made except for the evidence of the parts pictures Cory posted on his now long-defunct site. I think there were at least a couple of the Kzinti ship models formed.. but that was more than few years ago now. Sadly, we'll probably never know for sure anymore! Got any pictures of the RBM Gorn ship? I was lucky to have found the Chandley.. I never did order any of them when RBM existed.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got the McDaniels DN in a box too, but I was very disappointed with it. For one thing he made the ship basically the same size as the AMT Enterprise and his other FJ kits - the saucer is no bigger, and the 2ndary hull is no bigger. That's just plain wrong.
John, I am not picking on you but I do want to bring here - "for the record", as it were.... I took some quick measurements of my McDaniel DN and a stock 18" TOS E and this is what I came up with....

Warp Engines: "stock" 18" TOS E engines. The Tech Manual does indicate that the engines are in fact physically identical among the major Starfleet classes shown in this book. No fault here but mentioned for completeness' sake.

Secondary hull: Working with diameter at the widest point plus length minus deflector dishes:

DN: Dia 1 15/16", length 7 9/16"
CA: Dia 1 5/8", length 6 5/16"

The dorsal appears to be identical to the CA one; it looks odd on the DN somehow but does show in fact the larger size of the secondary hull quite well.

Saucer diameter: DN: 8 9/16"; CA 7 7/8"

I've taken some comparison pics but I won't be pulling them off my digicam until after Christmas family fun is all done so that will be late in the weekend (Sunday most likely). It was a bit tough to get a truly accurate measurement on assembled sections, but all measurements should be no more than 1/16 off. I think you'll see that there is a difference in the build up that may not be fully obvious from just the pieces on the sheet.

I remember doing some number crunching after getting the model and wondering why the saucer was undersized. It wasn't until Griff mentioned above about Cory not having a large enough vac set up for the correctly sized saucer did it all make sense.

Was I a little disappointed at the time? Yeah, just a little. On the other hand, it is just large enough to be noticeable (if only just) plus the shapes of the upper and lower hulls show that this is not just another modded CA saucer. No one- but no one- has ever offered up a kit like Cory did in the same scale as the 18" ship. Now, if someone does eventually do so... I'll look at that! In the meantime, I'll keep this one as it is. A slightly under scale DN is better than no accurate DN at all! :thumbsup: Can I defend the under size saucer? Nope, but neither can I really complain about it. It was a really good effort and I do wish Cory was still around to offer his kits.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Chalk it up to a faulty memory, then, on the 2ndary hull. It's been ages since I had it out of the box and I must have transposed the saucer size to the rest of the kit in my head. There's lotsa room in there for things to bounce around.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries, John! I hear you on the "space in one's head for things to bounce around".... I'm right in there as well! LOL!

I've got some other things to work on first, but I'm really looking forward to restart this ship and get her DONE. I started to make (but never finished) an alignment jig for the engines which I still have kicking around in the closet. I think it's about time to pull that out and finish it up so when it's time to put those engines on, I can get right to it!

And John, if you ever decide you'll never touch your McDaniel DN kit again... give me a PM shout. I could be interested! LOL!

Merry Christmas, everyone! :wave:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Oops! Guess I was mis-remembering as well. I coulda swore that his DN kits had a saucer too small. :eek:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Speaking of too-small DNs, I have a few finishing touches to do to this thing yet...

My eyeballs hurt working on this thing!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a beautifully done mini, John! SWEET!

I had time to give the ship an inspection. The primary and secondary hulls will receive the initial work like getting the saucer back on and a coat of paint to see if I actually did solve the sticky paint issue on the secondary hull cap. If that fails.... well, years ago before Cory dropped off the Internet-o-sphere, he was kind enough to have sent me a replacement cap and that means I will have to hack the old one off and blend in the new one. I hope it doesn't come to that; I am NOT looking forward to THAT. Painting should come after a few hours accumulated time on the hulls to bring them back together and smoothed out.

I can begin the detail upgrades to the engines but I see I will have to make some additional changes and have ordered the required parts from Federation Models, which should take about 2 weeks once it's shipped. I'm going to upgrade the intercoolers and the reactor loops which means carefully cutting off the glue-bombed ones on the outboard engines... Once that's done and cleaned up, I can begin the painting process with the engines as well until I get the new parts in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts