Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AW Studios has purchased a set of molds from me to begin development on a vac formed version of my E E kit.

I'll let them chime in on the details. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. This will be an affordable version of the kit that I wasn't able to produce.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
REL said:
AW Studios has purchased a set of molds from me to begin development on a vac formed version of my E E kit.

I'll let them chime in on the details. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. This will be an affordable version of the kit that I wasn't able to produce.

Thanks
Wow...this is great news!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks Richard.

Once we receive a set of Masters from Rel, we will be going over it with a fine tooth comb and molding it to produce a female resin vacuform mold. Because of the size of the kit, we are inthe process of building a second (larger) vacuform table to go along with our current one.

As soon as we get the masters and have a chance to assess things, we can start looking at when we can start casting and pulling plastic. Because we want to make sure this is done right, we are not going to rush it into production. We want to make this a great vacuform kit that will be a little more affordable, but retain the quality model that Rel created. Pricing is not available yet. We need to figure out how much the materials are going to cost and what it will take to make.

We are not taking orders yet, but certainly want to hear if people are interested in a vacuformed version of this. Please don't hesitate to post here, PM me or e-mail us at [email protected].

Thanks all.

Regards,

Scott
AW Studios

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
Will it be in clear plastic? Is that practical with your production methods? It would be nice to have clear for lighting purposes. :confused:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
So do they plan in copying the female molds in a harder substance that can be heated, thereby ending up with female vacuform molds?

Have you reserved the right to reproduce the resin version in the future?

Even if it would be more expensive to make, to some it may be so much easier to build that it would be worth the extra expense.

R

·
0 Posts
In one way, it's certainly going to make aspects of the lighting easier to pull off.
Splendid idea gents, here's to it i say !

I still got my eyes on the 350th TOS 'E' whatever happens.

Go easy.

·
Registered
594 Posts
thrakkorzog said:
What is the max thickness of the plastic is going to be - if it is really thin, I don't understand how such a large model would work....
PerfessorCoffee- We would like to pull it in .060 HIPS Styrene. But it will all depend on how well the details pull with the thickness of plastic. If we can get the right clear plastic, we may try to pull in clear (but we will have to see).

Chuck_P.R.- Yes we will be making female molds. The amount of resin it would take to make a solid resin would most likely no be cost effective, but I will not rule out special requests.

Raytheon- Don't worry, the TOS 1/350th is coming along real nice. I hope to have more pictures to post of the test build-up and prototype pieces by later tonight.

Kepe the comments flowing.

Scott
AW Studios

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm curious about the projected cost. Of course it's too early for you to be accurate in this regard, but having a ballpark figure would make it easier to commit to one of these kits. I'd be very interested assuming the cost was within reach. REL's kit looks like a masterful piece but the price, unfortunately, was too much for my finances.

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
Vaderman said:
PerfessorCoffee- We would like to pull it in .060 HIPS Styrene. But it will all depend on how well the details pull with the thickness of plastic. If we can get the right clear plastic, we may try to pull in clear (but we will have to see).
Great to hear! The TOS 1/350th in clear would be nice, too! ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
I was planning on buying a fiberglass version at Wonderfest. However, would the vacuform be just as good? I simply want a 4ft model of the Enterprise E that I can light from the inside.

I don't know what the difference between a vacform kit, and a regular plastic kit from the store is. Could someone explain to me the pros and cons?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
So do they plan in copying the female molds in a harder substance that can be heated, thereby ending up with female vacuform molds?

Have you reserved the right to reproduce the resin version in the future?

Even if it would be more expensive to make, to some it may be so much easier to build that it would be worth the extra expense.
I doubt it. It would be very expensive and heavy. The saucer alone takes over a quart of resin. It would just be cost prohibitive and too expensive to make and ship. However, I will not rule out producing some fiberglass kits if there is a demand for them. We will need to perfect the technique before we sell them though.

First thing though is getting an affordable vac kit out there for everyone.

I got a chance to see the master mold of the saucer that Rel is sending me. :eek: I am in love.

Scott
AW Studios

1 - 15 of 15 Posts