Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just made brand new molds and did some changes to the master. It didn't make them better than what has been previously released, and some might say it would make building it harder.

1. Added the bridge and main shuttle observation deck to the saucer.
2. Removed plating on the undercut of the secondary hull making an easier seam to join. So that plating will have to now be replaced with styrene, use the decals as a template.
3. Removed small (chicklet) paneling on the lower saucer arrowhead allowing the decal to now reproduce the detail, this will also will make for easier application of the decals in that area.

http://sovereignreplicas.com/kitchange.jpg
http://sovereignreplicas.com/kitchange2.jpg

But she builds up just the same as the older kits that are already out there (22 of them by the way c'mon guys start building these things!)

http://sovereignreplicas.com/example.jpg
http://sovereignreplicas.com/example2.jpg
http://sovereignreplicas.com/example3.jpg

Those of you that haven't gotten your kits yet will get the new version, but it put me a little behind schedule so don't hurt me.

Thanks,

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm also looking forward to Raytheon's build up to see how he applies that spotlight effect with this one.
 
G

·
Seems like you got a continual evolution going on there Richard, nice one !

REL said:
I'm also looking forward to Raytheon's build up to see how he applies that spotlight effect with this one.
Me too :D

To quote Baldrick from the Blackadder series "I have a cunning plan sir"

Go easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
I'm working on the templates a bit at a time. The weather here has been too cold to do any painting (I can't ventilate the way I need to) or grinding/sanding the fiberglass. plus the windows have been much harder to make out against the hull than I thought they'd be.

the good news is I did finally find that Bulldog product, so when it warms a bit, I can then spray. Right now I have to limit my exposure to the fiberglass. even with gloves and a mask. I'm sure it's not as hazardous as I make it out to be, but having lost a parent to asbestos-caused cancer, I tend to be overly paranoid.

the Dummy

PS in the mean time, can anybody point me to a good lighting kit for this beastie?I put out a plea to JWRJR, but he must be up to his neck in commissions, cuz I've yet to hear back from him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I'm still finishing up my entry for WF '07. In the meantime, I've been spending some time doing research on lighting (how to), what kind of armature it'll be mounted to, and so forth.

I am chomping at the bit to get started though....:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
If Raytheon is doing here what he did on the P/L kit, I'm excited. Sadly, I can't afford this beauty. Rel, you are indeed a master of the art.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Lou Dalmaso said:
I'm working on the templates a bit at a time. The weather here has been too cold to do any painting (I can't ventilate the way I need to) or grinding/sanding the fiberglass. plus the windows have been much harder to make out against the hull than I thought they'd be.

the good news is I did finally find that Bulldog product, so when it warms a bit, I can then spray. Right now I have to limit my exposure to the fiberglass. even with gloves and a mask. I'm sure it's not as hazardous as I make it out to be, but having lost a parent to asbestos-caused cancer, I tend to be overly paranoid.

the Dummy

PS in the mean time, can anybody point me to a good lighting kit for this beastie?I put out a plea to JWRJR, but he must be up to his neck in commissions, cuz I've yet to hear back from him.
Will you be selling these templates when you are done? That is the only thing that is keeping me from getting started
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
danald,
that's the idea. but I'll probably end up just selling thru myself. I doubt that there would be the volume to interest any retailers

Lou
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Lou Dalmaso said:
danald,
that's the idea. but I'll probably end up just selling thru myself. I doubt that there would be the volume to interest any retailers

Lou
Lou,

What will the templates consist of? (if you've decided yet) I was wondering if it would be set up for the multiple aztecing all over the ship.:eek:

If I have to, I'll do it the way Richard did but I'd rather not. ;)

Neb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
what I've got in mind is the same type of two-tone scheme as I've done for other sets. now which two "tones" you choose is up to you.

from my obsevations, the ship has white/med. gray sections and
med. gray/dark gray sections.

within the definition of the medium gray color there are various chunks of "slightly lighter" and "slightly darker". so my overall plan of attack would be to paint the whole ship with the medium gray, add the variations with traditional methods ( business card masks, tape. etc...) then apply the templates and then paint the darker gray and white sections (add variations here too, if you want) when you remove the templates, you get the two tone look, even if the "tones" are made up of many colors. Simple, right?

the most important thing to me is that the pinstriping (so perfectly done on REL's ship) is maintained.

well, that's the plan at any rate... we'll see how it plays out in the real world. :cool:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top