Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a cancellation on an order a 1/650 scale (40") fiberglass E E, I have a spot open. This kit will ship around mid to late Feb.

Price is $850 including shipping.

You can look at one here.

http://sovereignreplicas.com/mp.htm

Please PM or email me if interested.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
nx-o1troubles said:
That's a heck of a lot of money for something that I dont even get to build and just sits around.

Then don't buy it ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
And I'm pretty sure $850 is the price for an unbuilt kit. No way you would get a buildup of that quality for that price. Just saying.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ok, but $100 is probably about the most I would ever spend on a kit alone. What if that $850 kit was damaged during shipping, or a piece broke during assembly? Im sorry, but why are decently priced Enterprise E kits of any kind so hard to find?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price is for the kit.

None have arrived damaged so far and they've been shipped all over the world. Insurance is included in the shipping. They're made of sturdy fiberglass so I doubt a piece would break during assembly.

·
Registered
983 Posts
nx-o1troubles said:
Ok, but $100 is probably about the most I would ever spend on a kit alone. What if that $850 kit was damaged during shipping, or a piece broke during assembly? Im sorry, but why are decently priced Enterprise E kits of any kind so hard to find?
I'm sure if it was damaged during shipping, the part would be replaced. If you damage the part during construction you have the choice of either fixing it or buying a replacement part.

$850 for a kit of this size and beauty is more than a fair price considering the time and effort 1 person put in to designing, patterning and molding this. I would dare say you would be hard pressed to find as detailed a model outside of those who designed it for Paramount. It is my personal opinion that REL has surpassed even those who designed the E-E for the movies. This model is nothing less than stunning.

Finding a model kit in the price range you desire is possible. You can read previous threads on here about PL and RC2 and other model companies that will not produce models that they do not expect to sell less than a billion-gajillion pieces. They are in it for the almighty $$, not to satisfy the low volume needs of collectors and enthusiasts who congregate at boards like this. That is why we are dependant on the skills of others to make the kits, be they resin, fiberglass or whatever of the ships/subjects we desire because the ones who could mass produce them and make them affordable to most...won't.

You do realize the this E-E is 3 and 1/2 FEET long? You won't find many who would make a model that size. Barring the massed produced models, when you purchase a model crafted by an artisan with more care and patience than any large company would ever do, you pay for it. If I had the extra money, I would not hesitate to purchase one of these kits. As it is, I stand in envy of those who can, and I look at REL's images and am awed by what I see.

Barring the Enterprise A.. Enterprise E is the most beautiful Starfleet vessel I have ever laid eyes on, and REL's is the most impressive model I have seen of her so far.

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
I really don't get why someone would post complaining of the price. If you don't want to buy it, then don't. Whining about it won't get the price reduced and no one is forcing you to buy the thing.

It's well worth the money for the quality of this thing.

The only reason I wouldnt buy it is because I'm not a huge fan of this ship. Now if REL ever makes a 1701 D... well that's another story. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ohio_Southpaw said:
Enterprise E is the most beautiful Starfleet vessel I have ever laid eyes on, and REL's is the most impressive model I have seen of her so far.
well said even though I changed it !! LOL

and REL's ship is by far one of the greatest pieces of art I've ever seen anyone make.

dave

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Yes, the kit's beautiful and I think's a fair price based on what Ohio Southpaw said. If I didn't have other priorities this puppy would be mine.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Far too often I see that artists such as REL or myself are not appreciated for our time, effort, and skill. I would price a completed model of this kit, and this is only because it is a kit and not a one-off, at $3000 - $5000. I charged $250 each for a build-up of an Estes model with custom decals to private buyers and that's BULK pricing.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,282 Posts
Dammit, Rel, don't you know you're supposed to work for free and sell at a loss? What kinda businessman ARE you!?

;)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
nx-o1troubles said:
i dont think you apprriciate the cost of producing the kit. the molds for the fiberglass parts cost THOUSANDS of dollars, and only last for for a certain number of castings. (after that they need to be re-made.) i'm sure that the cost of the polyester resin and matt alone was more than $100.00.

the only reason kits like polar lights refit cost as little as they do is that the manufacturer can count on selling hundreds of thousands of them, and the cost of making the original pattern and molds can be amortized over those hundreds of thousands of kits. just like anything else, an item that is produced in vast numbers can be sold for much less than an item that has a very low production run.

while i realize that many people are ignorant of the manufacturing process and dont understand the realities of production costs (goodnness knows that ive had to explain this to many many people over the years), the tone of your posts is pretty offensive. rel decided that he wanted a huge model of the e-e made from the proper materiels, and the only way he could afford to do it was to get a few other modelers to share in the cost of that by selling castings of the parts (with the beneficial side effect of allowing those few to share in the joy of constructing and owning one of them). the price is quite fair for what he is selling, but your posts make it sound like you think he is trying to shake down the modeling community. pretty nasty, bro.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
nx-o1troubles said:
That's a heck of a lot of money for something that I dont even get to build and just sits around.
nx-o1troubles said:
What if bears eat the nacelles on that $850 kit? And a Ferrari cost $250,000, ok, but $20,000 is all I would ever spend on a car alone. And that's a heckuva lot of money for something I don't even get to build, but just drive around. And what if the postman smacks me in the mouth for being inane when he delivers that $850 kit?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't buy it if you don't like the price or afraid of it being damaged. I'd never build an NX and hate it with a passion, but I don't carp at others for doing so. Personal choice applies.

·
Registered
983 Posts
nx-o1troubles said:
I think you people are taking my comments the wrong way.
nx-01troubles... It is somtimes difficult to convey context or 'feeling' in a plain line of text. No criticism here, but your previous posts could (and have) been read as being disdaining of REL's accomplishments. Simply choosing your words more wisely, or asking for more information on a subject would go a long way towards not being misunderstood.

Please reply again with your thoughts on this matter. Does it bother you that people are charging and paying a large amount of money for these kits? I am sure if you asked, people would be more than happy to explain why these kits cost as much as they do.

Again, as stated earlier... you pay for quality when it doesn't come off a shelf at your local retailer. The modelers here and elsewhere have shown time and again a dedication to quality, to perfection, and pride in the work they do, both for themselves and others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree. 850 is an awesome price for the size you get. NX just curious what type of collectables to you buy?

My average prop in my collection is 5000.

Cary

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.