Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to here peoples opinions & comparisons on the 2 higher detailed 1/64 diecast car models.I have only a few of the Hotwheels 100% & a bunch of Greenlights,I am impressed with both of them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Go with GreenLight

I prefer GreenLight for a number of reasons:

GreenLight:
-true 1/64th scale
-accurate rims & tires (oversized for the most part but they have retooled a lot of their wheels, especially new releases)
-castings details are spot on
-opening hoods (with a few rare exceptions)
-about 1/2 the price vs. 100% Hot Wheels

That's not to say that the 100% Hot Wheels aren't nice too:

100% Hot Wheels:
-detailed base
-better presentation (packaging)
-chrome parts are chrome, not painted silver

Like you mentioned, both are very nice but the majority of my collection these days has been GreenLight. Hot Wheels 100% don't come out that often enough for me to "collect" them. Mostly they are older repaints and from years gone by and there are no "new" castings per se. Hot Wheels 100%'s have generic wheels on them. That is to say that the chances are, the car never came from the factory with that style of wheel on it... kind of kills the accuracy aspect IMHO. The paint detailing on the base of the GreenLight stuff just not there, some of the metal bases don't even come painted anymore. Small point in my book as my cars are usually displayed rubber side down. ;)

I'm sure there are other things that I'll think of thoughout the day. Interesting topic to say the least. Looking forward to hearing other opinions. :wave:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It depends on the casting. One of my favorite 100% HW's, the 65 Mustang GT-350 in comparison to the same car from GL would absolutely blow it out of the water. Detailed under carriage with an actual engine like you would expect in a mid to high end 1/24 car. I've got a number of both cars in my collection, but which ones better? I really think it depends on the car.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If I had to choose, I would choose HW 100%, Yes they are/were more expensive, But I like the scale better, (A lot of GL are to big IMO)

And there is way more variety in cars & castings with the 100% HW (Hot rods Muscle cars ec etc)

Greg (Carsdownunder)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Greenlight all the way.
Hey Carsdownunder please give an example of a greenlight car thats to big. Some M2's are way big but greenlight ive never thought of being to big. If you have some compairison shots carsdownunder id love to see them.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
100% all the way. The paint quality, the details, the multi-piece castings, the fit and finish is all unequaled in the "around 1/64" scale diecast world. M2 and Greenlight both come close but I've had way too much quality control issues with them both. Shelby collectibles are too limited in their castings to count. Other than the legends cars the 100% were $6.00 -$10.00 and came with a display case. Gls and M2s are at 6.00 now with no display case. If you're an opener the differences are easy to see. I have some very nice GLs and M2s that are just as good as the 100%(if not better in some cases) but overall the HWs are king. JMO

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Some of the GL that I have seen has poor quality in terms of paint, wheels, and etc.
They are a better bang for the buck though.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
It depends on the casting. One of my favorite 100% HW's, the 65 Mustang GT-350 in comparison to the same car from GL would absolutely blow it out of the water. Detailed under carriage with an actual engine like you would expect in a mid to high end 1/24 car. I've got a number of both cars in my collection, but which ones better? I really think it depends on the car.
I agree. I have yet to come across a 1:64 scale '65 GT350 that is as nice as the HW 100%. That was one of the Jay Leno pieces if I remember correctly. They tried to use the same casting to do a black '66 GT350H, but that was an innacurate casting for several reasons. They also make an excellent Shelby Cobra, Shelby Cobra Daytona, and '67 GT500 from that line. The best detailed '67 GT500 ever produced in 1:64 scale is from Mattell (Hotwheels) Legends two car series. This set had a 1:24 Blue '67 GT500 and a 1:64 white '67 GT500. The white '67 GT500 in 1:64 scale has a beautifully detailed base for the scale.... not to mention the jeweled headlights and tailights, opening hood with nicely detailed engine, and nicely done tampos.

With that said, I enjoy many of the GL Mustangs.... especially now that they are using more accurate wheels. Their pieces get nicer as time goes on and I hope this trend continues.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I'd have to agree with carsdownunder that Greenlights are a little too big.
The GL '67-8 Impala is about 1/4 of an inch longer than Johnny Lightnings Impala.
From what I've seen HWs 100% cars are just the same old muscle cars we've seen over and over so I haven't payed much attention to them.
Don't HWs 100%s have the end of the axle showing on the outside of the rim? That part seems less than impressive, but from what you guys say maybe I should give'm a closer look.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I only have 3 HW 100% and they are at least equal to the GL cars I have. I have gone to pretty much GL only, but would consider HW's in the right car. I do like the case that the HW comes in, but don't like paying extra for it. Mine are all out of the case and the case is long gone. Overall quality and selection, I have to go with greenlight. HW makes a fine product, but they are not regular issue. The GL cars are regular issue and are about a billion times better quality than the regular issue hot wheels.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Here are 3 Boss 429's side by side. Greenlight, Johnny Lightning and HW 100% all represented. Honestly, at least with this casting, they are all great looking and aren't that far off on size. The HW is the longest and the GL is the shortest, but not by much.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
That comparison really shows how badly Greenlight missed the mark on their '69 BOSS 429. at least HW & JL got the hood scoop right.
I have all three, but not opened. This comparison shows me, at least,
That I should have left the GL hanging on the peg.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That comparison really shows how badly Greenlight missed the mark on their '69 BOSS 429. at least HW & JL got the hood scoop right.
I have all three, but not opened. This comparison shows me, at least,
That I should have left the GL hanging on the peg.
The greenlight car pictured in the post was from the auction block series. They made the car to be a match to the one that went across the auction block, not an exact factory replica.

I dont recall any 69 boss 429's comming with rear spoilers or black hood scoops. All the ones ive seen have had body color hood scoops and no rear spoilers. Looks like a few other companys missed the mark.

The more I look at it the better the GL one looks. Looks like greenlight is the only one who got it right.

Seems to me a lot of folks dont want to admit it that greenlight has came in the diecast world and started kicking ass and taking names. The detail and accuracy of there castings blows everything else away. Everyone is use to subpar cars and inaccuracies from everyone else when a company gets it right people think its wrong.

·
Registered
837 Posts
03silvergt, i believe the red stang with red scoop is a JL and the blue stang is a GL. So looks like JL got it right. As for the black scoop, they sure did com in black, spoiler and all. You have to remember back then, when you ordered a car, you could order it the way you wanted with the extra goodies.

·
Registered
750 Posts
03silvergt, i believe the red stang with red scoop is a JL and the blue stang is a GL. So looks like JL got it right. As for the black scoop, they sure did com in black, spoiler and all. You have to remember back then, when you ordered a car, you could order it the way you wanted with the extra goodies.
Nope the red one is the greenlight. Ill post a pic of it in the package, I am a GL mustang fanatic, i have every mustang GL has made except one. The blue one is not the GL. So looks like GL got it right :)

I know you could order them the way you wanted but i dont think many people added the spoiler or black hood scoop. ill have to look at the marti reports and see how many were made like that

All of The 1970 Boss 429's had black hood scoops not the 69's
From what ive been reading it seems All the 69 Boss 429's had body color hood scoops and All 70 boss 429's had black hood scoops. It doesnt appear there was an option for it 69 nor an option for a rear spoiler. If anyone can find any evidence stating otherwise please post it and a link.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The 1969 & the 1970 BOSS 429 used the same hood scoop,
and the shape is where I question, not the color.
its too round in the rear, to arched in the opening.
it's just the shape, the opening.
I know too. My Family owned one. a real one.

·
Registered
781 Posts

Sorry CJ, the all red is the GL. The blue is the JL and the red with black scoop is the HW.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
right, I do understand. I have all three as well. in the package.
what I'm trying to say is the Hood scoop just doesnt look right on the all red, greenlight version. The spoilers, or lack thereof, dont matter to me, as many 1:1 owners added those things. I've even seen sport slats on KK BOSS 429 cars, but they were added, either by the dealer, or buy individual owners.

To Me, as a diecast buyer, I'm saying the hood on the GL just does not look correct. the scoop is goofy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The 1969 & the 1970 BOSS 429 used the same hood scoop,
and the shape is where I question, not the color.
its too round in the rear, to arched in the opening.
it's just the shape, the opening.
I know too. My Family owned one. a real one.
Bet you wish they still had it. I wasnt questioning the shape. Im sure its not right. I know 69-70 had the same scoop, i was just saying in 69 which is what all three cars claim to be, black wasnt an option. Id say GL missed the mark the least out of the three if you consider all the indiscrepancies

Got any pics of the one your family owned, id love to see it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts