Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I wanted to start off by focusing on the ship's interior. I printed the ship's decks onto backlight film and the bridge control panels and monitors onto slide film. The effect is really nice.

Wow, that's genius! First time I've seen this process used in all the Enterprise build-ups I've ogled over the years! Beautiful detailed work!

·
Registered
122 Posts
How did you create the slides and know they would be the right size?

Did you photograph them, or some kind of transfer/print?

Not a whole lot of wiggle room, that small.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you create the slides and know they would be the right size?

Did you photograph them, or some kind of transfer/print?

Not a whole lot of wiggle room, that small.
I scanned in Paragrafix's decals since I was using their photo etch. As long as I traced my new artwork on top of that scan, I knew it would fit.

Once the artwork was done, I sent a PDF to Express Slides, and they had them back to me in about week.

Express Slides - 35mm Slides

·
Registered
566 Posts
That slide film idea is inspired! Seriously, since you already have the artwork and files, you should create a little aftermarket enterprise (see what I did there?) and sell them. Order up a couple dozen, give a reasonable mark-up and I bet you could move them all. I know I'd buy a set for my next 1/350.

Now if you'd only properly align that bridge so the turbolift door matches where the turbolift is located. >:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
That bridge is such fine work that I am compelled to salute you -- even despite your choice of orientation.

Well done, sir! Dare I to hope I may see it in person next year at Wonderfest?

M.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I also wanted to try the window inserts for my Revell JJprise.

I know the Revell model says it's 1:500 scale, but if you go with the official size, and also the very close saucer rim shot in Star Trek Beyond, Revell's model is actually 1:1000.

So with that in mind, I printed my corridors to be that size onto backlit film. This photo doesn't really do it justice at all though. In person it's really sharp looking.

Artwork...

And inserted into the saucer rim...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my TOS 50th a few weeks ago and started work on it. This bridge is great and I like the idea of adding the interior as well. Any updates on getting more slides produced?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts