Hobbyist Forums banner

Should a 1/350 TOS Enterprise be based on the 11 footer or the 3 footer?

• Based on the 11 footer.

Votes: 56 96.6%
  • Based on the 3 footer.

Votes: 2 3.4%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a long time ago, Thomas said that he considered basing the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise on the smaller 33in. miniature instead of the 11 foot model.

While not announced, hopefully a 1/350 TOS Enterprise is in the works at some stage. It is my sincere hope that such a kit not be based on that 33in model.

While it might be cool in some way to have a Enterprise model to hold just as Shatner and Nimoy held in publicity shots, I think (hope) a lot of people would agree that this smaller Enterprise model is not the 'true' Enterprise of TOS.

For one thing this version would not allow us to do the pilot, 2nd pilot, production versions like the snap kit does based on the 11 footer.

What do other people think, should a 1/350 TOS Enterprise be based on the 11 footer or the '3 footer'.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
I voted for the 11 footer in series production version.

But it would be nice to build it either/or. :D

Perhaps someone out there will later offer parts to modify it to be like the 33in. miniature. Hmm, but that would involve a somewhat differently configured lower saucer section--not impossible I suppose since someone was offering a more accurate saucer hull for the former AMT 18in. kit.

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
Yeah definitely the 11-footer. That was the hero model we all fell in love with, that was the most widely used model, and the 3-footer is, well... ugly ;)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Oh please! The 11-footer, of course! We see the 3-footer, what, twice in 79 episodes? That'd be like issuing a model of Rosanne's daughter, and using the actress that subbed for the regular girl for that one season. :D

I talked to Thomas last week, and there's no 1/350 TOS E in the works. Yet. Dammit. They haven't told him what they want after the current projects.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Yeah, 11-footer is best for above stated reasons. While I'd like to have a model of the 3-footer version, it is way down on the list.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Hey Before I Vote, I'm Wonderin' What is the MOST glaring Difference between the 11 and Three Footer? See I like the Options Choices that came with the Snap Kit,But it sounds as though there is Some MAJOR difference in the Models? I thought it was JUST the Spikes on the Domes and the "Domed or Non-Domed" Rear? Hmmm Does anyone feel like elaborating (Only on the BIG Discripances) So all I'm Tryin' to say is Just Do a HUGE Version EXCATLY Like smaller PL KIT even the Options. And is the small PL Enterprise Based on the 11 ft or 3 ft Studio Model?

JOHN/LONFAN

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd like to see them do what they did with the 1000 scale kit. I really hope that they do it in 350 scale. I think that would probably be the kit to outsell the refit.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
The 3-footer's saucer had a very pronounced "lip" around the bottom - which is the way the AMT kit looks, btw. The 11-footer had a smoother contour, which the PL kit reproduces nicely.

The 3-footer's impulse engine spine was quite different too.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
The bulge underneath the saucer is shaped flatter and fatter and, from what I understand (FWIU), the top of the saucer may have a differently shaped bulge as well.

The 3 footer came in a first pilot version as well as a production version. The first pilot version had a lot in common with the production version, features that were different from the 11 footer. The first pilot version of the three footer is the only model to have the rectangular panels on the rear of the nacelles. The 11-footer was unfinished in that area.

I'm not sure there was ever a 2nd pilot version of the 3 footer. There don't seem to be any photos of such a beast. That means the 2nd pilot features are historically accurate only to the 11 footer.

There are probably bunches of other differences between the 11 and 3 footers. Too bad the original 3 footer was stolen or we'd probably have access to it or many more photographs than we do currently.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
^^ I agree. The 33in. miniature had much in common with the 1st version of the 11footer. And I don't think there ever was a 2nd pilot version of the 33incher--they simply reused stock footage. Afterwards the 33incher was simply modified to be more like the series production 11footer.

That aside there are differences that are interesting but may preclude marketing a 3-in-1 kit like the 1/1000 scale kit. The most notable is the differing saucer contours--thats more than just including small interchangeable parts and decals. That would be a whole other honking big piece of plastic to include.

But as I mentioned before. It would be nice if someone could offer a different saucer to build the 33incher either for the conjectural 1/350 E or the existing 1/1000 kit.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
I suspect the 33 incher was used by AMT for the 18" model. They obviously changed some contours to reflect the general features of the production model but the model could still be a decent starting point for a replica of the 33" model.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If they do the model based on the 11 foot studio model, does that mean detail will be only on the starboard side? lol. Hey nobody has mentioned Greg Jein's model used in the DS9 episode.

Rogue

·
Registered
475 Posts
It could only be modeled after the 11 footer. Could you imagine all the posts screaming about it not being accurate?

Geesh :freak:

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
RogueJ said:
Hey nobody has mentioned Greg Jein's model used in the DS9 episode.
That's because it was inaccurate to the original production version model from the '60s.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I had a thought. :freak:
That even scared me!

Maybe Polar Lights is waiting until 2006 for the 1/350 TOS 1701.
It will be the 40th anniversary of the debut of the series.

If so I can wait, as long as it is coming. :thumbsup:

Lloyd
drink for tea!

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I think it should be modeled after the 11-foot model.

Additional parts could be included for the pilot and production versions. A second set of nacelles would be unnecessary due to the larger scale, since the inboard grille inserts could simply be separate parts. The only possible challenge would be how to represent the different window pattern locations between the various pilot and production versions. This could possibly be realized by having smaller opaque sections of hull with the different inset window patterns, with accompanying clear insert parts that would then fit into the larger hull pieces (on the 11-inch kit, this is easily represented with different decal layouts).

It would be relatively easy for a third-party to come out with vacuform and/or resin replacement saucer parts for the three-footer saucer shape in 1/350 scale, if someone wants to build that version. A re-contoured dorsal top would be required as well.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
I'd settle for a production version that others can retrofit as they see fit with aftermarket kits, etc.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I simply can't imagine them NOT doing a 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

I think whoever thought they would release it in 2006 to link up with the 40th anniversary makes the most sense.

They must be confident about the future otherwise I'd think they'd get it out while they can.

If they only release one 1/350 kit a year, then it means we only have one more kit (the 2005 one) to go before then.

The neat trick would be to make sure it hits the shelves in Sept of 2006 so it REALLY matches the 40th anniversary. That would also make it available to the 2006 christmas season.

The question is, which kit will they release in 2005?
My guess and my bet is on the K'tinga.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts