Hobbyist Forums banner

2161 - 2180 of 2189 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool, I will look into that mix. I normally use Model Masters enamel and I know you can get the Tamaya in enamel as well. I may try and do a mix with the RAF Dark Sea Gray and see how close I can come as well...I definitely will be checking out the green for the Turbo Lift Green. Here is one of the dark accent pieces in the plastic color against the RAF color below:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,451 Posts
If you want to stay with testors and enamel try model masters engine grey. They also have an acrylic grimy black. They have never been good at consistent batch shades so you can probably get close with either. :cheers2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Milton! I looked it up and it is very close...I am sure I can work with that. I have never really done much mixing to try and get a specific color because I have never needed to try and get close to something like this, but I believe it is time to start learning that skill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well after finally getting some time in the shop I have the saucer bottom done and curing so I can start on the electronics FINALLY! The top saucer needs sanding and one more coat. Excited to finally get some time to work on it. Will post another shot after I get the bottom saucer wired up. Waiting on some more paint to get the secondary hull finished and I will start wiring it up as well. Exciting times ahead!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
One more quick question to you experts! Do you think it a good idea to go ahead and do a clear coat on the saucer bottom before I start putting in the electronics to protect the paint coat from getting rubbed off? I figure I need to put one on anyway before applying the decals at some time so what are your thoughts?

Ben

·
Registered
401 Posts
Clear coat is always a good idea to protect your work thus far.
I second that. I've had great results on my E doing that. And clear coat after they've properly set. Just FYI, I've had better results with the Testors acrylic flat clear (in the bottle) than with the Dullcote, in that the latter has been leaving a satiny finish after several coats. The former is dead flat first time. But I've also seen lots of posts claiming great results from Dullcote, so YMMV. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, gentlemen!
That is what I will do!
Oh, and Aslaw, I have the Model Masters straight clear coat, not the dullcoat. So I am with you there!
Ok it is settled I will do a clear coat over it after it cures...

Thanks again!

Ben

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally got some time to work on it yesterday for the lower saucer lighting. Happy to say I have it done! Now after doing my Honey Do list for today I should have some time to start working on the upper saucer and the bridge. I do have one question, I need to know the color of the impulse engines so I can tint the clear part to get an accurate representation for them. Does anyone have, or can point me to, an image of the production impulse engine color so I can replicate it?

Thanks for all the help!

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I do have one question, I need to know the color of the impulse engines so I can tint the clear part to get an accurate representation for them. Does anyone have, or can point me to, an image of the production impulse engine color so I can replicate it?
If you want the impulse engines accurate you would paint the rectangles black. They were never lit during the show. I think it was during the run of the animated series that they first showed the red glow of those engines.

I put the photo-etch grills on mine, flipped the clear part over to give some room between the grills and the clear plastic, sanded both sides to diffuse the light, oh and painted the white LEDs clear red. So it looks black when off, red when on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was about to have to go to some footage to check on that! Hmmm...Makes me think now I need a separate switch to turn them on and off for each effect.

Thanks for the input...more to consider before the final wiring and closing up of the saucer!

Ben

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well made a screw-up on the lower saucer! I put the colored starboard and port lights in on it and realized after looking again they are white! JOY! Had to take them out and get the clears coated to put them in. LOL I realized only the top lights are colored with the red and green.....well back to cleaning up my mess...again!

Ben

·
Registered
401 Posts
Made a little progress -- the middle ring is too dark, but I'm leaving it like that. I'm trying to get this thing done already. I've also ditched the masks and I'm finishing with decals, which go on much faster and can be repositioned until they're right. So far so good. I did the red pennants with the masks, though -- I'll post shots later. I'm itching to get to the electronics!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bad news, guys -- all of my Dropbox-hosted photos are going to vanish on Sept. 1 because they're changing their whole scheme. I don't know when or if I'll have time to repost more than a few of them, so if you want them, now's the time to download them. Sorry about the inconvenience, folks -- and thanks a lot for nothing, Dropbox.

·
Super Moderator
24,451 Posts
Bad news, guys -- all of my Dropbox-hosted photos are going to vanish on Sept. 1 because they're changing their whole scheme. I don't know when or if I'll have time to repost more than a few of them, so if you want them, now's the time to download them. Sorry about the inconvenience, folks -- and thanks a lot for nothing, Dropbox.
Bummer, if you want you can download them into a member album here at HobbyTalk and then relink them into your posts as time allows. :cheers2:

2161 - 2180 of 2189 Posts