Hobbyist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Spent a couple hours adding filler to the raised sections of the hull and cutting out the windows for this section. I also plan to add details to the forward ends of the raised sections to mimic the details seen on the Constitution class ships. Who can spot the Space:1999 Eagle parts on this section? There are two big parts, one heavily modified, they are obvious when you see them.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Ha! (y) Brilliant use of that part--cut in half, I'm assuming. I was admiring you for having put those grooves in but now that you've pointed out where the part came from . . .

I've found some cheap measuring scoops have similar shapes to what you have on the front.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Ha! (y) Brilliant use of that part--cut in half, I'm assuming. I was admiring you for having put those grooves in but now that you've pointed out where the part came from . . .

I've found some cheap measuring scoops have similar shapes to what you have on the front.
The bells come in 2 parts, no cutting needed! The cone shaped section on the rear is a complete bell with .020 sheet added to build up the larger section to eliminate the step that exists between the two halves, I also cut off the mount on the small end of the bell and added a dome to finish it out.
Cutting the grooves is not that difficult to do when I need to do it, I draw the line in pencil then use a razor saw to slightly cut along the line followed by careful work with a small triangular file.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Made a better looking deflector dish:

Last details added to the deflector/sensor pod:

I also started adding filler to the main body of the ship, I want to add some windows to the aft of the engineering decks as well as a few to the hangar/cargo section. This ship will not have the standard Starfleet markings since it is a UESPA ship that utilizes Starfleet technology.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Looking more TOSy all the time. (y) That deflector pod looks really good.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Fantastic work! (y) I especially like the detailing around the shuttlebay entrance and the rear-facing sensor dish.

Reactions: krlee

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Fantastic work! (y) I especially like the detailing around the shuttlebay entrance and the rear-facing sensor dish.
I kept looking at the flat areas at each side of the shuttlebay, wondering what could go there and then I remembered on Enterprise they had work pods. This is the perfect place for them, no need to depressurize the entire shuttle bay just to launch a pod. The plain dome on the end of the deflector/sensor pod did not look right to me so I stuck on a small sensor dish, I tried a larger one at first but it did not look good so I cut it down until it looked right.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I added the clear windows to the pilot parts bridge module and after touching them with paint i decided that I did not like the fit of the windows. I removed the clear parts and started adding custom made inserts made from .080 x .188 strip styrene.

I filed the end of the strip to about 45 degrees.

I then cut the insert to length and glued in place.

A much better fit and look than the kit parts.

Windows done on this part. I had already added the clear parts to the lower saucer windows, those will need to come out as well.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Had to use a grinder bit but I was able to remove the lower hull clear kit windows and I now have all the windows in place. I still have to cast the clear parts for the running lights which I will tint the proper colors. Next up I will detail the shuttle bay interior since I have decided to leave the doors in an open position.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
First paint on the secondary hull, I am using Tamiya AS-5 Light Blue as the main color. I masked off the leading edge of the dorsal pylon to leave it the natural blue color.The recesses windows will be painted in by hand with white and a few blacked out windows.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts