Hobbyist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I LOVE everything about this build...

Anytime someone takes a saw and drill to a 1/350 Connie to make something else out of it, I'm instantly hooked...

If you don't post up more progress soon I'm gonna come looking for ya...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I LOVE everything about this build...

Anytime someone takes a saw and drill to a 1/350 Connie to make something else out of it, I'm instantly hooked...

If you don't post up more progress soon I'm gonna come looking for ya...
Sundays and Mondays is about the only time that I get to work on this, not much left to do except cast the domes for the saucer, cut out all of the window inserts that I will need after painting and create the parts that holds the nacelle domes. The person who was selling the nacelles and struts on ebay did not have any of those parts. I ordered the smooth saucer, registry decals and a pilot parts pack from culttvman to make up the rest of this.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Shuttle bay finally attached to the engineering deck, I may add some windows to the curved hull sections on either side using a thin styrene skin like I did with the fantail windows. I added a launch tube for probes underneath the fantail.

Playing around with adding a small deflector dish to the forward edge of the saucer, a throwback to the NX series ships. I am not really sure I like this, I will have to think about it for a while.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Playing around with adding a small deflector dish to the forward edge of the saucer, a throwback to the NX series ships. I am not really sure I like this, I will have to think about it for a while.

View attachment 316327
I've never seen a deflector dish on the front of the saucer that looked "right."

My STOS brain accepts the FJ solution of putting it on a stalk underneath the primary hull.

IMHO, the NX-01 was a little iffy but they made it work okay with the inset area.

I would suggest maybe try building up some sort of structure behind it, perhaps shaped a bit like the impulse engine except opened up and maybe with some greebly stuff stuff on either side of where the shaft of the deflector dish connects.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Or maybe something similar to the Romulan Bird of Prey weapon. The deflector dish, to my eye, just seems to need something analogous to the concentric rings that sit behind it on the Constitution class. It all works together, I think.

Reactions: krlee

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've never seen a deflector dish on the front of the saucer that looked "right."

My STOS brain accepts the FJ solution of putting it on a stalk underneath the primary hull.

IMHO, the NX-01 was a little iffy but they made it work okay with the inset area.

I would suggest maybe try building up some sort of structure behind it, perhaps shaped a bit like the impulse engine except opened up and maybe with some greebly stuff stuff on either side of where the shaft of the deflector dish connects.
I never liked the Franz Joseph's solution on having the main sensor on the bottom of the primary hull - you lose the bottom sensor platform. Always made sense to me to have it on the front for the primary hull like they did on the NX Enterprise. They made it work by having it rectangle shape instead of a circle dish. If you want to keep it as a circle then might be better to have a small (cone?) bump on both the top and bottom of the primary hull to better integrate it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I never liked the Franz Joseph's solution on having the main sensor on the bottom of the primary hull - you lose the bottom sensor platform. Always made sense to me to have it on the front for the primary hull like they did on the NX Enterprise. They made it work by having it rectangle shape instead of a circle dish. If you want to keep it as a circle then might be better to have a small (cone?) bump on both the top and bottom of the primary hull to better integrate it.
The dish was more of a passing thought than a plan, I think I will stick with my original idea of having no deflector dish like the Reliant.
I also thought about adding a cut down dorsal section with a small deflector pod underneath the saucer between the warp nacells but I didn't really like the look of it, I may revisit it using the remaining parts from the pilot parts pack that includes the larger dish and the connecting dorsal for the Enterprise engineering section.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A couple of other things to try: 1) the Reliant had 2 of those sensor(?) pods that is on the TMP Enterprise's secondary hull on the sides (3rd one on the bottom) at the edge of the built up section facing forwards. You could try to see of you can mount 2 sensor dishes at the front of your rear built up section (one per side). 2) You can try to see about have a sensor pod on top of your shuttle bay (like Reliant's photon torpedo launcher).

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
I also thought about adding a cut down dorsal section with a small deflector pod underneath the saucer between the warp nacells but I didn't really like the look of it, I may revisit it using the remaining parts from the pilot parts pack that includes the larger dish and the connecting dorsal for the Enterprise engineering section.
That reminds me of the way David Shaw did his USS Columbia FJ scout variant. A deflector dish added to the bottom strut might be visually appealing--more complex and a bit more dashing than the FJ deflector set-up.

The pods by themselves work, too. No need for an exposed deflector since there is a precedent in that regard as you pointed out in the design of the USS Reliant. Even some of the early Jefferies sketches had fairings covering the deflectors. A smaller size deflector would be reasonable due to the smaller cross-section of the ship.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts