Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a ship based on the USS Reliant but from the Captain Pike era of the original timeline. I am mostly in the planning phase right now. I got the nacelles and struts from an e-bay seller and the saucer and pilot parts pack from Culttvman when they were on sale around a month ago. I will slightly modify the saucer to have an aft shuttlebay and an engineering section behind the Bridge and B/C deck structure. I probably will not add the roll bar like the Reliant had and I may not light this, but lighting would be fairly simple, just some leds in the saucer and no lights in the nacelles like in the original Enterprise.

I started modifying the nacelles by simply flipping them over and making new mounting holes for the intercoolers, I am using the pilot style intercoolers:

A look at the basic layout of the ship, I will cut slots into the edge of the saucer for the nacelle struts to fit into.

·
Starship Class
12,111 Posts
Excellent! I look forward to following this build. I've always thought the Miranda class origins should go back to the period somewhere between the Cage and the WNMHGB versions of the ship. (y)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
First nacelle strut through the hull, it will only need a small amount of filler to blend it in. I am thinking of calling this ship the SS Columbia, referenced in "The Cage".

The strut sticking through the top of the hull will be trimmed down once I decide on what the engineering section aft of the B/C decks will look like.

I may add a sensor pod on the underside of the main hull where the dorsal connection is located.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little more work done today, after cutting out the slot for the second warp nacelle strut it became apparent that they were at the wrong angle. I removed the first strut and adjusted the angle, this means that more filler will be needed where they come through the top hull. I partially filled the gap with a strip of .040 styrene on both struts.

The angle is still not perfect but it is consistent on both struts. I will remount the nacelle end caps to offset the angle error.

I am still thinking about building up a structure on the upper hull like on the USS Reliant that would encompass the nacelle struts that stick out through the upper hull, the struts would be cut off so that they do not protrude from the top of that structure. There would be a shuttlebay either above the impulse engine or a pair of smaller shuttlebays to either side of the impulse engines.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engineering deck shaping up, I am still not sure if I want one central shuttle bay on top of the engineering section or two shuttlebays integrated into either side of this section. The edges right now are a little rough, it will look better once I trim the edges and blend everything together.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After using the upper hull without gridlines for this I decided that I wanted them, so I took out my compass and ruler and went to work, this is the result of about an hours work. They look a little rough right now but after some sanding to remove the rough edges the lines will be finer than what was on the original issue of the 1/350 Enterprise kit.

·
Starship Class
12,111 Posts
Holy moly, I'm glad you did it that way. (y) That's very similar to what I was thinking to do for a TOS Miranda with the twin shuttlebays sitting on top of where the more modern ones do.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy moly, I'm glad you did it that way. (y) That's very similar to what I was thinking to do for a TOS Miranda with the twin shuttlebays sitting on top of where the more modern ones do.
I thought about the design for this saturday night and decided it needed to be more than just the half cylinder stuck on top of the engineering section. In my mind the landing bay area is essentially the same as the landing bay on the tail end of a Constitution class ship but the areas immediately port and starboard of it is parking space for three shuttles on either side. Forward of the landing bay is a repair/maintenance/fabrication shop that could accommodate two shuttles. Port and starboard of the maintenance area would be cargo holds. I made the fantail section that overhangs the impulse engines one deck thick so that it could have the approach and landing control room in it.

·
Starship Class
12,111 Posts
I thought about the design for this saturday night and decided it needed to be more than just the half cylinder stuck on top of the engineering section. In my mind the landing bay area is essentially the same as the landing bay on the tail end of a Constitution class ship but the areas immediately port and starboard of it is parking space for three shuttles on either side. Forward of the landing bay is a repair/maintenance/fabrication shop that could accommodate two shuttles. Port and starboard of the maintenance area would be cargo holds. I made the fantail section that overhangs the impulse engines one deck thick so that it could have the approach and landing control room in it.
Excellent (y) That makes perfect sense and takes full advantage of both the horizontal and vertical space available.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts