Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1/350 Seaview build question -UPDATED 3-31

I'm building the small 1/350 Seaview now using the Paragrafix PE set and Monkey Works 1/350 Flying Sub. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the same and, if so, if you've figured out a way to mount the Flying Sub to the roof of the hangar bay. Right now I plan on using a short piece of brass rod soldered to the roof and inserted into a hole drilled into the Flying Sub but I'm open to other suggestions. Any advice from you master builders is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd thought about magnets too but this little FS has so much detail for it's size it would seem a a shame to hollow out a recess big enough to glue a magnet into; even the thought of drilling a tiny hole to insert a brass rod makes me cringe. The fishing line idea is worth considering though. How would it attach to the sub ? I really don't want it swinging around inside the bay just hanging from the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
In addition to the need to hollow out the FS, magnets would require something iron/steel based to "stick" to. They won't be attracted to the brass used in the photoetch.

As a side thought ... how about doing a "stand" out of two thin, but stiff, brass rods inserted into holes where the engines go? You could then cover them with microbeads and paint to simulate bubbles. Of course this would mean positioning the FS outside the sub bay, but you'd get to see more of it this way.

I can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll take a few WIP pics once I get the LED's installed before I close up the hull. The PE control room turned out pretty good IIDSSM- I had to hold off on the caffeine though so I could hold the brush steady masking and painting all the tiny wall details; I was even able to paint a reasonably accurate world wall map inside a frame that must only be about 3/16" x 1/8" on the port wall. I'm using LED's from those Christmas tree light strings Target sells. 18 mini-LED's to a box wired in parallel with a 200 ohm resistor in the battery box on the postive leg. A lot of desoldering work to remove the LED's from the string but they all worked fine when I tested them afterward. The little PE radar dish looks great too ! I modified the kit part replacing much of the plastic shaft with 2 sizes of brass rod so it can be raised up out of it's well on the sail and rotated. Next will be drilling out the tail fins and scribing a channel to run fiber to the tiny tail lights.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Is the 1/350 FS cast as one piece?

You can get small button magnets at Michaels that are small enough to be glued to the roof of the Flying Sub bay - on the inside where they won't be seen.

Then, you could hot-glue the round section of a thumb tack to the inside of the Flying Sub's upper hull. You could dry fit this with tape to see if it will be strong enough to hold the Flying Sub in place. The magnets are quite strong so it may work.

Huzz

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm getting the sense that the FS is one cast piece.

Would it be possible to carefully drill out the jet exhaust ports and insert metal wires in each? Would that be enough metal for a magnet on top of the FS bay roof to "grab" the FS?

You could try taping the wires to the FS hull first as a test.

Could wire strips be glued to the top of the fins that run from the bow to the stern of the FS? No driling needed....

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for some great ideas Dave. The FS is one piece of solid resin:

I'm strongly considering doing something with magnets as you and others have suggested. One thought I had was, If I could find a metal washer the same size as the blue ring on top of the sub, to hollow out a recess in the resin deep enough to glue the washer flush with the hull then paint it blue. Then I could glue a small magnet to the roof of the hangar bay to hold it in place. This would be my ideal setup.
Another option, if a washer smaller in diameter than the existing ring was obtainable, would be to fit it around the upper hatch and inside the existing recess. I could even attempt to make it sit flush by hollowing out a ring in the resin. This would be a real challenge given the small size of this piece.
Assuming no washers (or metal rings) in either size were available though , the thumb-tack idea you suggested above would definitely be another good solution.
I'll have to see what I can find at the hardware or craft store over the weekend.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You may be able to find a washer of appropriate size in the hardware section of the nearest Radio Shack. I recall seeing small washers with certain types of electrical connectors.

That looks like the same size resin FS as I have with my aftermarket Seaview resin bow - you can see it in my album. I drilled out the exhast jets to mount my FS on wires:

[/url][/IMG]

Your casting looks much crisper than the one I had!

Huzz

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You may be able to find a washer of appropriate size in the hardware section of the nearest Radio Shack. I recall seeing small washers with certain types of electrical connectors.

That looks like the same size resin FS as I have with my aftermarket Seaview resin bow - you can see it in my album. I drilled out the exhast jets to mount my FS on wires:

[/url][/IMG]

Huzz
Very cool effect with the FS exhaust Dave. Monkey Works really did a nice job on the one I got. Very crisp and amazingly detailed for it's size.
Another thing I'm considering is whether or not to tackle making the corrugated doors so they can slide open rather than just having the doors removable as one piece. I keep changing my mind about that. It would be a true achievement if I could make that work in this scale.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

[/url][/IMG]

Huzz
I followed your advice Dave and got my butt over to the "Shack" on my lunch hour. Sure enough they had some small rare earth magnets and a package of various sizes of small metal washers. I'd brought the Flying Sub from home and saw one size in particular that will fit nicely inside the upper circle of the sub. This is going to work really well. I've also pretty much figured out how to make the doors open slide open and shut. Can't wait to see if my idea will work.
I'll try and take some WIP photos this weekend.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I made some real progress over the weekend. Here are some WIP photos. Though some of the paint and parts may seem a little rough in these photos I figured it would be good enough when viewed thru the sub's tiny windows:

Control Room, Antenna Assembly, Spiral Stairs, Rotating Propellers, Flying Sub Hatch Cage, Sail with PE Doors:

PE Limber Holes. 1" Dia Acrylic Tubing for Presssure Hull:

Control room port side wall before window suppots were added. I'm pretty happy with how the little wallmap came out.

Flying Sub with Magnetic Docking Tube:

Tail Fins after fiber optic insertion. Ready for puttying:

Antenna Lifts and Rotates:

Spiral Staircase. Totally from scratch. Round discs will be cut away before installation in control room:

Stairs ready for painting and install:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are the rest of the pics:

Chart Table Pics. The drafting machine was made from brass wire and Evergreen rod. The chart is paper and pencil:

Almost done:

I used a very small brush on the tape drive wall:

Next up the Flying Sub Bay !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Guys, thanks for all the kind words about my little FS-1.
It's nice to hear that it's well accepted.
It was a blast trying some new techniques to pull off the tiny details...but it sure was worth it ! A nice compliment to a great kit !
Took a few tries to get the beastie cast well too !
First mold set was a bust...second...winner !
These little FS-1's are still available...if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's fantastic work, Trek! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome sir ! This is my first time using PE and I can't say enough good things about your set; especially the window supports which fit together perfectly. The only thing I would add would be the spiral staircase but I'm not sure if that's even possible to do in PE. I look forward to painting the little crewmen !

1 - 20 of 133 Posts