Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I have laid aside working on BSG models and returned to my long-dormant Refit. And ran smack into the reason I put it aside- what to do with those fine lines that run run around the saucer. Try as I might, I can't make them look other than crappy where the joints are. So all you experienced "refitted" - tell me whether I should scrape them smooth, or let them ride!

Also, I was at the bar last night with some Trekkie friends and I was telling them about BSG. Mike says to me "why should a Trekkie watch BSG?".

I told him that watching Trek was like making love to a beautiful woman, but BSG was like dirty sex! That went over well...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You can get decals for the saucer rim lines. I haven't gotten to the saucer yet on my PL Refit but I do have the decals.

If you go that option, fix and sand away! ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I say that if it can be replicated with paint, then sand them off!

Its the same thing that has kept mine on the shelf all this time - its a shame those window sections were done that way (I remember why it was done but its a shame nevertheless).

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to painting them on either!

Apart from a few scenes in TMP, you can't really see the fine lines - as trekcores excellent HD screen captures show - it looks like a paint effect at best.
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=406&page=14

Steve

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I take it you have you already cemented them?

Mine went together virtually seamlessly. Just apply a very small, thin amount of liquid cement from the back side with a fine brush or applicator, and the capillary action will deliver the cement through the whole seam and blend it together with little or no gap or break. A few layers of primer and some careful and gentle sanding above and below each set of scribe lines will make the seam virtually invisible.

I wouldn't recommend scraping the seams, as that could create more work in case you were to scrape the joint too far. The nice thing about using liquid cement is that it "welds" the joint together with little need for putty, scraping or sanding.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Decals, I will use decals, since I could not safe the gridlines form beeing messed up during saucer assembly. I may have been able to save the middel ones, since those are... save ... but I decided to sand it all smooth and got accreation decals to do the trick. Takes away a lot of headache and it wont make a difference looks wise at the end.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have cemented them- the seams are OK, it is just where the lines join at the seam they just don't line up with each other. In fact the saucer is done, joined, sealed, powered up. It is just that the lines don't join laterally. When I was assembling it I thought they would sort of "fade into the background" and not be noticeable.

But I am sure you more experienced modellers know that these are EXACTLY the types of details that come back to haunt you...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Also- here is a photo-my iphone lens is all scuffed up- but hey, even bad shots of cool models are cool- this was the first lighting of all systems except the blue cold cathode tubes-these are awaiting a power supply I have ordered. Obviously some work on light sealing here and there. But, net result, 270 LEDs, using "raytheon's" now famous backlighting technique, 2 blinker circuits (hand soldered!), one is a slow "nav lights" circuit, and fast blink circuit.

I started this in January 2010.

Cool...

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Also, I was at the bar last night with some Trekkie friends and I was telling them about BSG. Mike says to me "why should a Trekkie watch BSG?".

I told him that watching Trek was like making love to a beautiful woman, but BSG was like dirty sex! That went over well...
I'd ask him if he only eats at one type of restaurant or does he sometimes eat at McDonald's, other times at KFC, Taco Bell, etc. Same thing. Why limit yourself to one sci-fi show?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1/350-damn the lines

Gone! Scraped-sanded-decalled! 2 hours with the back of a snap-off blade, followed by a good sanding. Then apply the decals.

Trek Ace is right, though- those seams get perilously thinned out. I didn't bust through, but if he hadn't warned me I probably would have. Also, do this BEFORE mounting the saucer- manipulating the whole Enterprise to get at the seams is a pain in the rump. Did a lot of light sealing today-and touch up here and there. Getting there!

Unmasking the arboretum windows and the officers lounge window will be the last things- I don't want to accidentally frost them with the about-6 coats of clear coat that have gone on and the final matte coat that will be applied.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took from an unusual angle-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts