Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Very nice work! Question for ya on the bridge replacement part - is that the Spaceways/Mark2000 bridge set with 2 parts for the exterior? Would you be willing to measure (assuming you have calipers) the overall width and length of that part? Height would be great but that might be tricky depending on the calipers (and needing to eyeball part of it). Oh and did you get the smooth or smoothest option? How was the quality of the part - need a lot of sanding or not much? Rough areas? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Very nice work! Question for ya on the bridge replacement part - is that the Spaceways/Mark2000 bridge set with 2 parts for the exterior? Would you be willing to measure (assuming you have calipers) the overall width and length of that part? Height would be great but that might be tricky depending on the calipers (and needing to eyeball part of it). Oh and did you get the smooth or smoothest option? How was the quality of the part - need a lot of sanding or not much? Rough areas? Thanks!
QUESTIONS IN ORDER..

1 It's a shapeways product. I have no idea whom.
2 One solid piece with only the rear docking area needing attachment.
3 Sorry no, I don't have Calipers.
4 No clean up was required...I did modify it slightly to allow the spotlight to shine correctly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks for getting back Mark! Couple more Q's - you mentioned polytranspar paints…and that you had done a bunch of these over the years… have you always used acrylics for the 5-color setup? You also mentioned having done your own masks… I am going to be doing so much to accurize the kit that I will not be able to use any pre-made-for-PL-1/350 masks (re-contouring and rescribing all grid lines). Given your experience doing both methods, what recommendations do you have for generic masking supplies for this beast? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Thanks for getting back Mark! Couple more Q's - you mentioned polytranspar paints…and that you had done a bunch of these over the years… have you always used acrylics for the 5-color setup? You also mentioned having done your own masks… I am going to be doing so much to accurize the kit that I will not be able to use any pre-made-for-PL-1/350 masks (re-contouring and rescribing all grid lines). Given your experience doing both methods, what recommendations do you have for generic masking supplies for this beast? Thanks!
1) I use acrylics 95% of the time. Enamels are too toxic. Messy clean up. I avoid them if possible.
There are four Iredescent colors...Blue,Green Gold and Red....over top of a flat white base coat.
NOTE...if you want it to reflect the miniature as it was seen in The Motion Picture, DO NOT apply a clear top coat. Why? Despite what some You Tube experts suggest, you will ruin ALL the work with the Aztec nonsense and iridescent paint. It will wash it out.
Then how do I seal the decals? You don't.
The used dry transfer decals on the original.
If you want the muted flat look of Star Trek 2 and onward, spray a flat clear coat.

2) On this build I used the mask set from orbital Dry-docks. On my very first builds, no one was offering after market sets. I did my own. It WAS A NIGHTMARE...which I will never do again. It wasn't until after some guys figured they could make a buck suppling Masks.
Mask kits have a limited shelf life. Don't order them until your almost ready to do your painting.
3) I recommend getting a mask set. do your research. A couple of these suppliers that are pushed lift up the paint.

I am not a huge fan of the REFIT. I personally prefer the original TV version. To me the Refit is over rated. Your milage may vary.

I am committed to doing two more of these builds for others...Then Ill never build one of these refit kits again. Way too much aggravation and trouble for what it's worth.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Heheh - well this refit is something of a passion project for which I expect to spend many months on the paint job cutting my own masks because, as I said, I will be modifying this so much that not only will contours change, but the entire deflector grid (saucer and secondary hull) will be re-scribed, windows re-drilled, 3d parts printed, etc. - with doing that it makes getting any pre-cut mask set irrelevant….. that's why I'm looking for advice from someone like you who already has made their own masks - for uncut (non-refit-specific) masking material, what products were your go-to?
I am already in process of creating new graphics for dry-rub application, current plan being for prime, paint, then maybe seal, then maybe lacquer+iridescent powders for aztec, then dry-rub graphics.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Heheh - well this refit is something of a passion project for which I expect to spend many months on the paint job cutting my own masks because, as I said, I will be modifying this so much that not only will contours change, but the entire deflector grid (saucer and secondary hull) will be re-scribed, windows re-drilled, 3d parts printed, etc. - with doing that it makes getting any pre-cut mask set irrelevant….. that's why I'm looking for advice from someone like you who already has made their own masks - for uncut (non-refit-specific) masking material, what products were your go-to?
I am already in process of creating new graphics for dry-rub application, current plan being for prime, paint, then maybe seal, then maybe lacquer+iridescent powders for aztec, then dry-rub graphics.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Here is my 1/350 Enterprise Refit build from Star Trek The Motion Picture. Using the model, I recreated the departure from our solar system. The model is painted with four iridescent colors over a flat white base coat, in the Aztec Patterns. The model features full internal lighting as well as spot light effects on the hull. It also features a full shuttle bay and an accurate bridge replacement. It was filmed in front of a blue screen.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Some atmospheric clips of the model in tribute to it's appearance in Star Trek the Motion Picture. Over a flat white base coat, The Aztec designs were accomplished with masks and four iridescent colors(Red,Green,Gold and Blue)through an air brush at a low setting. The model features a fully detailed and lit shuttle bay. The hull spotlights on the saucer are just that, and illuminate the ships registry. The model also features sound and the sequential start up sequence seen in the film. The model was filmed in front of both a Blue and Green screen and was difficult to blend due to it's paints. the score is from Jerry Goldsmith

41 - 60 of 65 Posts