Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
Hope not to disappoint.:smile2:
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
634 Posts
She is looking really nice with the primer on her.

Some of the seams look pretty large, out of the box. How do you rate the kit overall?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Some of the seams look pretty large, out of the box. How do you rate the kit overall?
Thanks.
:grin2:
I would give the kit a B-/C
Mainly because of the large seems. I had to fill the up the gaps with J B Weld after gluing.
Also there are fit issues to tackle as well.
But I think the worst is over..................................for now.
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The Revell kit is not "bad". Remember it is a good 40 years old now. So, it is typical for the early 70s and not a 2016 kit. But, with some TLC you can make a nice kit out of her today, like this one!

The newer Trumpeter kit is a lot cleaner without the heavy raised detailing

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, what did you use for the silver coat? Is that ACLAD? I've never done an aluminum finish before.
So, it is typical for the early 70s and not a 2016 kit. But, with some TLC you can make a nice kit out of her today, like this one!
Thanks guys!:nerd::grin2:

The aluminum base coat is Tamiya "rattle can" Spray Lacquer TS-17 Aluminum Silver.
Here is a small update:

-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slowly but surely...............................................:nerd:

-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PUDGY" decals?

Well I hate to ask this but, does any one out there have any spare 1:32 scale P-38 :pUDGY" decals? Thae set that came wit the AirForce Star.
Naturally the ones that came with the kit (To old I guess. ( I even tried them)
E bay ones fall apart.
Thank you.
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
You might want to check Zotz. They make a 1/32 Pudgy set. Not sure WHICH Pudgy it is for... there was more than one and some were OD.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you friend.
Unfortunately I am all tapped out on the $$$ seen. The paint I got for this wiped me out.:surprise:
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I dig that you're tapped out now and your decal is no longer useable, but some advice for the future. With older kits and with decals that are suspect always spray them with a decal film. Testors makes a spray "decal bonder" and Microscale makes a brush-on/airbrushable liquid.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The newer Trumpeter kit is a lot cleaner without the heavy raised detailing
Yeah, true, but the model will retail for $600.00!!!

But, I know... FreeTime's pre-order price is $350.00 and includes free (Continental US only) shipping. Ya does gets what's ya pays for! :)

Doug

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might want to check Zotz. They make a 1/32 Pudgy set. Not sure WHICH Pudgy it is for... there was more than one and some were OD.
Thanks. Looks like I may have to wait.

I dig that you're tapped out now and your decal is no longer useable, but some advice for the future. With older kits and with decals that are suspect always spray them with a decal film. Testors makes a spray "decal bonder" and Microscale makes a brush-on/airbrushable liquid.
Thank you sir, I appreciate the advice.

-Jim G.G.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts