Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hesitate to post these since there's already so many other larger and more accurate batmobiles posted on the site. But after 2 weeks of rain I was determined to finish something this weekend even if I couldn't use the airbrush. All the painting is by hand using enamals, mostly Testors. The red stripes are done with 1/16" striping tape, it's a little larger than scale but I already had a roll of it from another project. The windshield trim, pipes, hubcaps, and rocket exhaust are done from a scrap of bare-metal chrome. The Imai kit is small and not too accurate, but it is cheap! The dollar bill will give you an idea of size.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Considering what a crappy little model that Imai kit is, that turned out pretty nice. Especially since you hand painted it. If I tried to hand paint something like a car body it WOULD look hand painted!
I've still got one of those Imai kits stored away. I should throw it together for a weekend project.
Nice work Phil.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kirk!

The only thing I'm unhappy with is the stripes, the 1/16 tape is too thick and wide, but it WAS at hand. It's already wrinkling and lifting from all those curves. I'm going to try and mask and paint them on tonight with a Testors paint pen, an idea I shamelessly stole from a much bigger better Batmobile in Steve's Batman section.

The Imai is tiny and inaccurate, but it still LOOKS like the TV Batmobile, if you know what I mean. I actually bought this kit planning to make an RC version, but the Imai Body is too short for any of my Kyosho chassis even on the shortest set-up. I'd love a nice TV version, but most of them are a little outside my price range at the moment, I'm still kinda in the doghouse about a signed Alan Bean Apollo Art book!

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
Thanks Kirk!

The only thing I'm unhappy with is the stripes, the 1/16 tape is too thick and wide, but it WAS at hand. It's already wrinkling and lifting from all those curves.
Other than the fact that it's wrinkling and lifting, I wouldn't worry too much about the width. Imai's kit already looks more like a cartoonish version of the Batmobile, and the slightly wider pinstriping fits. Nice job! Maybe I'll drag mine out of storage and finish it up...one of these days. :devil:

·
Starship Class
11,927 Posts
How does this one compare to the Aurora 1/32nd scale TV Batmanbile?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
While the Aurora Batmobile isn't exactly accurate either it's a heck of alot closer then the Imai kit. The lines on the Imai kit are all wrong. It's too short. The grille and headlight openings are not the correct shape. The interior is only a partial interior with only the heads and shoulders of the figures molded. There is no chrome on the kit and the mag wheels aren't even close. The rear end is also not correct and there's a bunch of other stuff that I can't even remember.
Having said that, with a little work you can build it up into a neat little car. It won't be accurate to the tv version but who's to say that it can't represent some comic version that was never seen. The reason I like it is you can test yourself on it to see how cool you can really make it look.
Really not a bad kit if you can get it for a good price. I probably wouldn't pay more than ten dollars for the kit. Of course everybody has their own ideas on what they want to pay.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Short answer - No, they won't.

Longer answer - No, the won't. Too many parties want a piece of the licensing action that they'd have to sell 4 or 5 times the normal number of units (already typically a five digit number) just to break even.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I bought the Polar lights Batmobile today and even though its not perfect its very similar.I'm positive other people want the T.V.show Batmobile as well and I think is reasonable to hope Polar Lights would do it don't you,Guy Schlicter

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Guy Schlicter said:
I'm positive other people want the T.V.show Batmobile as well and I think is reasonable to hope Polar Lights would do it don't you,Guy Schlicter
I've got the 1/32 Imai and love it as a "toy-like" representation - especially with those Batman and Robin "bobble-heads".

Guy - the legailities of licensing anything from the TV show are more complicated than a Russian novel. Polar Lights managed the Aurora Batboat and Bat-Cycle but I suspect they were able to completely get around any legal obstacles connected to the show because those two original vehicles were farmed out to customizers who apparently didn't patent their work. Even the TV series itself is wrapped up in a tug o' war between different parties which is why it's not available now or for the forseeable future on DVD.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hi Fellows,Thanks for replying to me.I will have to make due with the Polar lights Batmobile.I don't want to pay big bucks for the Old Aurora model and the Polar Lights 1960s D.C. Comics Batmobile although not perfect does look alot like the T.V.series Batmobile,I'll live with the differences,Thanks,Guy Schlicter.

·
Starship Class
11,927 Posts
The PL is definitely a fun car and worth a build or two (I'm currently working on my 2nd one!).

However, there is no need to do without the TV version if you're willing to do a little bit of hunting to find the Revell Futura kit and a resin conversion kit (not necessary if you're into sculpting and epoxy putty but makes things easier).

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I bought one of the Imai once, took a look at it, and threw it away.
Finished, it's not too bad. It looks like a combination of the TV and comic cars.

Fire BALL Five HUNDRED..

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
The box-art for the kit is also pretty darned cool. There is also supposedly a 1/42 scale Imai Batmobile but I've never personally seen one.

·
Starship Class
11,927 Posts
Steve CultTVman Iverson said:
There's also a kit to convert the Fireball 500 into this car.
Oh, yeah! That looks to be a fine kit! It certainly would save a lot of conversion work. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts