Hobbyist Forums banner

541 - 560 of 573 Posts

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Can't wait for this one, large scale, all the detail is there (except the interior of course), and faithfully reproduced. At last! And it's only been, what, five decades or so...

·
Oxidation Genius
31,194 Posts
Yeah, I write PL every once in a while and remind them that the sooner they get all the most-desired Trek kits out, the better for sales, because it's not going to be long before all us TOS fans are going to die of old age.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
JGG, I have to say, that back window on the shuttlecraft looks AMAZING! The unboxing video just did not do it justice! 😁

Seriously, nice pics. clean build. It really shows the surprisingly complex shapes on what otherwise is a very basic form that had to be easy and inexpensive for a custom auto shop to fabricate.

I didn't notice, are there separate window covers or are you meant to just paint over the clear part if you want them 'up'?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It's understandable and makes sense what you say, but realistically, there is no telling just what brands of paint might even be available to a purchaser..There is no clear promise of any brand being easily available. This kit will likely appear at Hobby Lobby. What good would Gunze-Sangyo or Tamiya or (old school now) Humbrol paint numbers do? Heck, last time I checked even the Testors Model Masters rack was reduced in stocking.with many military colors gone.

Here in the U.S. plastic kit building is pretty dead. Real local hobby shops are few and far between. Putting color chips on the box at least tells a customer "buy colors that look like this" even if all there is are Krylon rattle cans and tiny Valleo eyedropper bottles. :)

Japan in particular appears to have quite a robust hobby shop infrastructure, with Gunze-Sangyo in particular crafting special 'color sets' for new releases. Sadly this can't be duplicated here in the U.S,

I have no idea what the state of things in Europe and England are hobbyshop-wise but Humbrol seems to still be chugging along.
Round 2 would have to use brands that are readily available to modelers here in the USA, that leaves out Testors as their parent company is doing away with the paints, as you mentioned. I wouldn't base the choice on what's available at Hobby Lobby since a) they have a limited number of paints and b) I think most people purchase their paints online. I haven't been to a Hobby Lobby in over 3 years, but their website shows a very limited amount of Testors (small enamel bottles) and Vallejo (Model Color), so anyone buying a kit there will probably look elsewhere for the paint they need. Unfortunately, many people, such as myself, don't live near to a hobby shop and if they do, their hobby shop has a limited supply of brands/colors. But, almost any brand/color of paint can be purchased through online hobby shops or eBay. Personally, I think Round 2 should use Tamiya and Vallejo for their paint call outs. Both are readily available in the USA (though Tamiya is currently having issues with their paint manufacturer, making it difficult to get their paint here at the moment) and Vallejo in particular, has a vast amount of colors to chose from, making finding just the right color, that much easier. If a modeler has a different brand preference, there are many sites of model paint conversions that allow you to find matches to a brands color.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have an airbrush, but hate using it, (too much work!) so I'd rather see Round 2, if they were to specify brands for paint, give equivient colors in Rustoleum or other such available rattle-can spray paint brands. When I'm building a kit, I don't want to have to put on a mask to go to HobbyLobby, or have to wait a few days for a paint order from MegaHobby or CultTVMan arrive in the mail. I can get Krylon or Rustoleum cans delivered same day from WalMart or Menards if I want.

Larry

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have an airbrush, but hate using it, (too much work!) so I'd rather see Round 2, if they were to specify brands for paint, give equivient colors in Rustoleum or other such available rattle-can spray paint brands. When I'm building a kit, I don't want to have to put on a mask to go to HobbyLobby, or have to wait a few days for a paint order from MegaHobby or CultTVMan arrive in the mail. I can get Krylon or Rustoleum cans delivered same day from WalMart or Menards if I want.

Larry
I can see your point and wouldn't be opposed to your idea, as long as they also provide Tamyia and/or Vallejo brands for those of us who airbrush.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
[QUOTE) yet another monotone color scheme.

[/QUOTE]
Is there another way?
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yet another monotone color scheme.
Is there another way?
-Jim G.G.
According to Gary Kerr, from the Star Trek Model Kit Previews above:

4) The Galileo should have a 2-tone paint scheme. Long story, but the upper hull is the same color as the gray markings under the front ends of the nacelles on the Enterprise model, while the underside is the same color as the impulse deck & nacelle recesses on the Enterprise.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The 2 tone look Kerr mentions is how I did my 3D printed one, following the color scheme of the restored big prop. Plan to do the same on the Round 2 kit when I get one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks good. This one's going on the list. Gonna hold off for now though at the price - which isn't unreasonable, but it gets increasingly difficult to justify (especially at the moment) when I think of my current backlog of probably some 60 or so kits.

I'm afraid to actually do a count and put a solid number on it. :p

(And the 3D printer isn't helping, as I can now (and do) conjure up additional projects out of thin air).

541 - 560 of 573 Posts