Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is that Galactica I keep talking about. I wanted to take some picures so I shot some primer on her and she is looking better all ready. I may pick up on this project again soon. (But I have a lot of resin casting to do for people first. ;) )

She is constructed entirely of sheet styrene. Her main hull is 1/8" thick sheet and needs no support for strength. She is solid as a rock. The bow and engine block are 1/16" but the multiplane construction makes them ridged.

I have a LOT of work ahead of me for the next few years. The new Refit Eterprise will only delay this project even longer.

Here's that link;

http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Templates/Galactica1978.htm

·
Starship Class
12,072 Posts
Pattern making of components is an excellent use of computer modeling! Keep us up to date!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This thing is impressive to see in person (he says understating).

The shape was so close to the real Galactica that I sold the only copy of that Monogram kit I had. . . just couldn't bother with it.

·
Curmudgeon
6,624 Posts
Great job so far Cobywan! The proportions and dimensions look spot-on! Keep up the good work and post photos when you can!

·
Registered
39 Posts
maybe I don't fully understand exactly what rhino does for you. Is it a matter of designing somthing on the computer in 3d. The computer calulates and prints out a 2d pattern that when bent/formed will make the desired 3d shape???

If so cool... if not is there a program like that i can get?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts