Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a racer I want the best stuff I can get ahold of, but is there really that much difference between a 1.240v cell and a 1.230v WC 4200 cell? On a 4 cell pack we are talking .04 of a volt. This may sound like a dumb question, but I was just curious if anyone has noticed any real on track performance differences.
~Brad

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It depends.

If your set-up is on and you're driving well and you're at a big race where two seconds could be the difference between the middle of the A main and the middle of the B main, then yes a 1.24 will make a difference over a 1.23.

If you're not on top of your game or at a race with a tight qualifying field then no it's probably not going to effect where you finish the least bit.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Brad,

I try to put numbers in perspective this way.

1.24v vs. 1.23v is 1.008% so the 1.24v would be .8% better.

That would be like taking a 18,000 RPM motor and being able to spin it at 18,144 rpm's
That would be like taking a WATT or Power # of 70 watts to 70.56
and probably the most important number

That would be like taking a lap time from 4.000 dropping it to 3.968

so if EVERYTHING else is PERFECT, you would have gone from a PERFECT 60 lapper in 4 minutes to just quick enough to get that EXTRA lap and finish with a 61.

Most racers don't make small enough "fine tuning" adjustments in my opinion to see that difference.

Ask yourself - Do you calculate gear ratios and adjust them .05% or less, or do you run the POPULAR roll out?

Do you change a set of tires to achieve a .05% gear increase or decrease? (2.15" vs 2.167" or 2.15 vs. 2.145) MOST don't, and most wouldn't really see the difference.

<-- flame suit on

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
lol this is funny you will not be able to see the diference.

I know for a fact that a 1.23 volt pack can out run a 1.24 volt pack.

IR and runtime are more important. a 1.24 v 400 rt 1.7 ir pack vs a 1.230 v 430 rt 1.3 ir pack i'll take the 1.23 pack all day long

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I always find it interesting that battery companies have been able to sell a .8% differences in voltage, but motor companies have only been able to sell "pro" and standard motors. Especially since I have seen 5%+ variances motors. Weird.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
If your setup is perfect, and your driving i perfect you might see a slight, i mean slight difference.. One tiney mistake in driving takes away and voltage advantage you have.. Your car needs a perfect non resistant run.. I would say unless your racing on the track by yourself, dont worry about that amall amount..

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
I asked this same question in a thread sometime last year.
Got most of the same types of responces.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=156980

I came to the conclusion that would basically coincide with burbs post.
At a perfect track, with a perfect chassis, with a perfect driver having a perfect run, you might see the difference.

However, when you start talking about IR like Davepull suggested. You may be more likely to see "something". Maybe.

·
Registered
662 Posts
yes don't worry about the voltage thing trust me last month i was at the roar regionals region 1 at maximus. and was unable to get new packs in time for the race and i qualified 6th in the a main out of 72+ cars in stock and 5th in 19t with 20+ cars. i was running 6 month old packs. that had 388-398 rt and 4.88 - 4.91 avg. v with 7.1 -6.3 ir on a 4 cell pack now for a single cell thats 1.22v to 1.2275 and 1.775 to 1.575 ir.and saw alot of guys in the main running 1.24 to as high as 1.248 and .9 to 1.2 ir. now i was 2 seconds off tq and the last 7 of us were a few tenths apart. and there were a truck load of guys in lower mains running alot more voltage then i was.so i believe there is not any difference that is noticeable between a 1.23 and 1.24. save the few extar bucks and buy something else because unless you drive a perfect line with a perfect car. you'll see no difference. and even if you did have a perfect car and perfect run. i still don't think you'de see a difference. it's all about the car don't feed into all this crap that one matcher is better then the other. there all equeal in my book. brad :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
there is not a racer in this country that can tell the difference ...If they say they can they are wrong , I have seen only a 1 second difference in a pack that is .01 a cell off .....Most mod racers thik voltage is everything but .01 per cell is not even close to be ing able to prove the difference ....JUst my 2 cents

Recent day codes are off in voltage and a few second s of runtime BUT I feel it comes with a pack of cells that may last longer without losing runtime ....The cells are pushed past what is stable to get another .01 per cell ....I would rather have packs that last longer in MOD , That being said the new cells do fine after many mod runs in 19turn or brushless and in the past this was not true ....mod packs died after 5-6 runs ...Now the 19turn guys and brushless guys can get a deal from MOD racers ...

ROCKET

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
In certain situations it makes difference on the track.

4 cell 19T Qualifying at the birds 5 through 15. All 58 laps. Here are the times.
4:02.24
4:02.40
4:02.73
4:02.82
4:03.04
4:03.30
4:03.32
4:03.38
4:03.59
4:04.03
4:04.04

I don't think the 5th place guy in that order would have wanted to run a pack with .04V less than what he did run.

That being said if you're looking to differentiate packs I'd look at the instantaneous voltage at 300 seconds and IR long before I'd look at the average voltage.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
lol Pmsimkins look at the 4 cell stock A main

I know that what the winner was running and it wasn't a 1.124 v

chassis is 80% motor 10% battery 10%

·
AKA Rusty NutZ
1,138 Posts
davepull said:

lmao that was funny the way peake was telling it

Rusty NutZ

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
davepull said:

You're missing the point.

The point is that in CERTAIN situations a second or even tenths can make a big difference. In this situation even the small difference in voltage could effect results. Saying that someone finished in a certain spot with batteries that may have been worse then those who finished behind them doesn't at all help prove your point. I'll bet the guy you're referring to ran the best stuff he had.

Sorry but if I'm sitting 11th going into the final qualifier and I'm a half second behind 10th I'm not just throwing in whatever battery happens to be closest to me I'm putting in my best one. Anyone who says different isn't being truthful.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts