Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Championship race for 1/18th scale & a Track doing it?

I have one over here in LaGrange IN, its a 240ft (center line 1 lap) banked concrete called Schoolyard Speedway.
It has been compaired by 1/8th & 1/10th scale drivers and nicknamed Little darlington, but the 1/18th scale drivers call it super Daytona.
We are hosting the 1/18th scale concrete oval Indiana state championship race.
Stock & Mod!
But a driver wouldnt have to live in Indiana to race this race. ;)

So far for 3 weeks ina row 1/18th scale RC's have been the largest turnout.

Check out our site and info at www.rcspeedway.net and think about it,
also I would welcome suggestions based on what I have described..Tech bench check points and such.
I know about the Buds (BRP) RC's but other manufacturers 1/18th scale out of box gearing/motors and ect I need to learn before Sept so they can be properly checked.
Mod is MOD and open, but stock (due to the track size) needs a little more margin over out of box to make it fair with no cheating or enhancements that other makes of 1/18th scale RC drivers may try so as to get a edge over the limits of modifications to compeat with a lesser designed RC.
Example: The micro rs4 has done quite poorly compaired to the Buds design at every race I have ever seen.
I really dont know what the owners of them can do and still call it stock.. and this race is 1/18th scale and not just a single companys rc race.
Losi makes a rather neet truck but again they do poorly here and not a even match at all.
Its hard to tell owners of the weaker designed RC's that this type is all that is alowed or you can do this to this and that will make it able to keep up and still call it a stock.
Well this about it and let me know your opinions and suggestions, its apreciated.
1/18th can big league also in my book. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just like in 1/10th scale where you have various classes, why not run 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive and trucks as separate classes within the 1/18th scale championship? Mod open can still be anything but stock could be those individual classes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the plan for next year or even this one if others come and get it started... so far there is only 2 trucks and 2 4wd drivers... watching 2 rc's in a race is like watching paint dry... and to race with just 1 other out there is like fishing with nothing biteing.
I know the classes will grow in time, if nothing else the 1/18th scale racing is the more cost frendly since a driver dont have to have a lot of fancy equip, to compeat & with all other classes the entery fee is $10 as to where here its a single $5 bill.
Trophy races or championship runs usually have a $15 to $30 entery fee, as with 1/18th here its just $10 so the costs of running them is less out of pocket expences.
I feel in a latter date we can more easyly split them up into a more proper class schedual as they grow.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This up comming weekend is as you know the 4th of July.
We run what we call the 500 every year, and this year will be the 1st time out for the 1/18th scale.
Its a 110 lap event.. the Nitro's have to run it non stop using the pit road/re-fueling but the "Electro" Rc cars do it with the heats added as a total.
Example: This last saturday I hit 30 laps in 4 min... so if that where done in all 3 heats then 90 laps of the 110 would be compleat leaving just the Feature/Main to run to get to the 110 laps.
The Heats are 4 min and the Feature/Main is not timed and dont stop untill we have 1st, 2nd & 3rd done. :)
Its easy and a blast!! Entery is the ususal $5 entery and EVERYONE takes home somthing, 1st 2nd and 3rd get a bit more.
Anyone interested? Saturday July 3rd is the day and it starts at 4pm for the 1/18th scale.. the rain date is the 10th.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We got rianed out after the 1st round.. so we called it done... and doing it again on the 10th (NEXT Saturday) All classes start at 5pm.
here is the 1st ones results.

Stock Electro 1/18th
DRIVER -T Laps- Best Lap -Place

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tim Waaso - 30 - 8.00 - 1st
Dave Bryan - 30 - 8.13 - 2nd
Travis Harlan 27 - 8.54 - 3rd
Brandon Greer 19 - 9.00 - 4th
Pat Lowe ---DNF ---(tie) -----5th
Andy Harlan -DNF ---(tie) -----5th
We didnt get to the 110 laps but we got of 1 round and had fun. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
Wow Tim !!! Good job. Dave we don't have any Sunday events, sorry.
Keep us up to date on your big race just don't have it on Sept 18th that way maybe some from this way will make it :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks Bud, School Yard is about twice as big as Da Track and banked. I also ran the sprinter, with the new pro tweak spring setup. It likes those long straights!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea we had a good time, would have been better if the weather would have worked with us... Wazzer showed how it was done getting right through the traffic. :)
Itsd more fun with a larger field of drivers... on the ol carpet (24x60) before I sold it we had a 10 car lineup.. it seemed crouded but was fun... a 10 car lineup out here provided room and a good line will provide drafting. heheheh Just like Taladaga or Daytona.
I have 38 transponders.. wish I could get a field of 20 out there... that would be a real challange... but need somthing that makes it count #11 - 20, All mine are from 1 to 10.
That Sprinter looked prety awsome... I bet ya get some BSR Reds on it it would be a rocket, I have just started looking for some L F Reds to put on the rear of my Funones Big Block... the Losi F streets on the rear provide good traction but hop too much to make the curves without loosing it. But caps.. I think that'll work and espcially with the rear setup you have on that one.
And I have been thinking maybe having the IN, State champ run eather early saturday the 11th or on sunday the 12th ??? not set in concrete yet.. but I'll get the imput from drivers as to waht day is best for them... some want it under the lights at night... and we can do that even ona friday... others want it in the eve so the heat from the sun is not as intense.. Im game for what the majority desides. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far saturday the 11th is being most favored... I ordered the 3ft trophy today from our local trophy shop... when its custom built for the occasion I'll snap a pic of it and post in on my web site.
www.rcspeedway.net

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
How about a practice/club race Friday night.... Then the big Saturday. Then the guys coming over from Ohio can get some track time.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good... this track has always been FREE practice... and we have had guys camp out here before, threre are motels for the ones that want to have more than just a tent and a sleeping bag, But we have a place for a campfire and have had motorhomes even stay for a couple of days.
I have a older Schoolbus we have talked about re-working for guys to camp in... I have most of the stuff needed to set it up pretty decent... others would rather just be under the stars. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here are the results from the 2nd 500 race.

Outlaw 1/18th Stock 3 rounds
----Driver ----- Laps - Best L Time - Place
Dave Bryan ---- 90 ---- 7.83 - (1st) but I dont count myself for awards.

Ed Curtis ------ 85 ---- 8.37 - 1st
Andy Harlan ----78 ---- 8.12 - 2nd
Phil Wright -DNF-------- 8.67 - 3rd
Brandon Greer DNF ----- 9.00 - 4th
Pat Lowe DNR x x

Was hoping for more to arive but at the start is looked like rain.
BUT we diidnt get a drop and had some fun. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have set the date for the state championship race to be done one Sept, 11 starting at 4:00PM
Somthing better to remember than the destruction of the towers for that date. :)

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Do you have the hotel info for us Ohio guys? Please email them to [email protected]. Would we need to bring pit tables, chairs ect? what about power? Do you have to pre-register? Sept. 11th is looking good! Friday night practice, Saturday racing....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have all the tables you will need as well as a place to plugin.. bring a extension cord... there are 15 outlets per pole and they have the tables lined up to them... the farthest table from a resept is around 10ft.
There are 4 motels here in town and usually always have open and ready rooms.
But you are welcome to camp out here also.. and that is FREE. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drivers interested in getting a motel room or making a reservation can call:
Budget Motel - 260/463-3555
Econo Motel - 260/463-8881
They are the closest to me here, but there are more... a total of 4 more within 15 miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well warbird we did 8 hrs to PA so 5 hrs will be a walk in the park. It dose not matter how long it takes to get there. We know that it will be FUN.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts