Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
40% off at Hobby Lobby scored me this for a decent price:

It was either this one or a 1:24 scale version of a '68 charger. This one won out because of it's larger then normal (for me) scale, and the fact that it comes with ignition wiring and fuel hoses.

However, I'm actually strongly considering not making it into the General Lee, but some other custom design. (After all, I can get all kinds of General Lee scale cars.) In fact, I have some metalflake blue, and I'm thinking of a simple white flame job to go over that.

I haven't decided for sure yet. I haven't even cracked the plastic yet. I may look at it and decide it can only be made into the General. No matter what, I am looking forward to my first large-scale model. As with all of my other projects, pics will follow as I progress.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cracked open the box, and I felt like a kid in a candy store. The engine block has the cylinders molded in. Even though we'll put the valve covers on over it. Some of the steps require me to "heat seal" pieces together.

Now that's some attention to detail when you have to weld your model car together! This is going to be fun.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Really? Which steps? I have the old (similar) Petty Charger, and I'm wondering if anything on that kit should be welded together.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In this kit, step 4. You are working on the suspension. I'm not too good with all of the technical names of the parts, but a pin passes through another piece, and you use heat to flatten the end of the pin so it doesn't come back out. Presumably, you do this on each side.

I happens again on step 9, when you start assembling the steering linkage.

I think that's the only place it happens, but is apparently so that the front wheels can pivot side to side.

·
Registered
893 Posts
sweet!! I have one sitting in a box somewhere, I have never been able to get to it yet. I wanted to make mine a custom one also maybe like an dark green one with steelies, but I can't find Steelies in this scale. Would love to see some more pics of the parts and the build.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parts pics won't take me long to get. WIP's... well I have to start before I can provide WIP's. The only thing really missing from the kit are safety harness for the seats (which the Duke boys never used, I know...). I've entertained the idea of attempting to fabricate the extra parts to create a Daytona out of it. Considered it. Need to do some research first.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Notice how on the engine block, not only are the cylinders molded in, but so are the pistons!

Also, I never really noticed just how simple a paint job the General really had. Of course, it has been some time since I watched the show much. It doesn't matter, though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to paint it in some other fashion. This kit would be big enough for me to try to use those temporary tattoos I've been hanging onto.

Lots of planning to go before I make any firm decisions, though.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, here is a shot of the box with the box for my 1:25 scale Nomad, just for comparison's sake. Remember that in both cases, the body shell actually takes up the entire length of the box, and you'll get an idea of how large this kit is compared to the models I've been building in the past.

And lastly, here is a shot of the instruction book (book, not sheet, it even has staples!) showing one of the "heat sealing" steps. This takes place every time one of the pegs on the front suspension goes through a hole.

The rear suspension I think articulates as well. The shocks are actually multiple pieces that you don't glue together, allowing the weight of the rear end to flex the leaf springs a bit. If I can swing it, and this model doesn't wipe me out, I think I'm going to want to stick with this scale of model. This level of detail is just too cool!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try the exhaust pipe along with the gas cap that goes on the rear fender as well as seat belts.
Those may be missing as well, if they weren't on the General. That's one of those things I'll have to look into and deal with as it comes. Maybe I can find some nice photoetched parts for those...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm...I could also take this in the "project car" direction...some rust, some bondo, panels that have been primed...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try the exhaust pipe along with the gas cap that goes on the rear fender as well as seat belts.
It seems you are half correct here. A cursory examination of the sprue and instructions turns up a chrome piece that could well be the fuel cap, but is not mentioned anywhere in the book. It's not a perfect match, but it's pretty darn close. I'll go over the book in more detail tomorrow to be sure.

At the same time, there are in fact, no exhaust pipes at all once you get past the headers. Looks like I may have to figure out a way to model that.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Part #225 on the chrome tree is the fuel cap. As you stated, the Duke's boys didn't use seat belts but there are 1/16 seat belt hardware kits available if I remember correctly. The exhaust pipes can be made from aluminum tubing with no problem at all.

You have to remember, this kit came out in the mid 70's so it is 40+ years old and back at that time, the model manufacturers weren't real concerned about everything being as it should be. Lot's of things were missing from kits or liberties were taken so as to be able to use, say, a chassis for several different bodies. This same chassis in this Duke's Charger was used in three different kits, this one, the Street Machine Charger and originally in the Petty Charger.

The Street Machine Charger has chrome side exhaust pipes that were popular on street cars in the mid 70's. The recently reissued version of the Street Machine Charger has them in it as well. It was reissued late 2011 in what they called a "One Run of Fun and Done" deal before they converted the kit back to the Petty Charger which is due for reissue this year.

There is a resin kit with the nose, front fender scoops and the rear wing in it that is available. I have one but it doesn't have the companies name on the paperwork that is in with it. I will see if I can find the name and let you know on that. Also, there are some resin steelies available for this kit now too. I saw them on one of the NASCAR boards. I will try to find that info too.

The seat belt hardware is available from Replica's and Miniatures of Maryland. The belts themselves can be made from ribbon that you will find at Walmart in the crafts section or from Hobby Lobby or Michael's or the equivilant type store. They do not have a web site, oddly enough, but here is their contact information. Norm (the owner) probably won't answer the phone so just leave a message, Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland 317 Roosevelt Avenue Glen Burnie, MD 21061 (410) 768-3648.

Here is a guy's Fotki Photo Album that is dedicated to the Replicas and Miniatures company products, have a look and see if there is anything there that will help you out. http://public.fotki.com/crstan/replican-and-miniat/replicas-and-miniat/

Hope this helps you out some.

Mo

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those are awesome links, thanks so much!

As far as exhaust systems go, I have a plan to experiment with two different materials.

The first is a plastic drinking straw. It looks about the correct scale. Fiddly to work with, especially with all of the bends an exhaust pipe has to take, but care, time and heat should do the trick.

The second is a piece of a plastic clothes hanger. Sturdier stuff, but heavier, harder to shape, and looks to me to be a bit too large-scale to make the run and look good.

I'lll let you know how the experiments go. Of course, I need to get farther along before I worry about those pieces yet. And thank you for confirming for me that #225 is the gas cap. It's not really all that authentic, being just a round disk with the hint of the catches on the side. We'll see what happens.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts