Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If nothing else...

Folks,

Everyone over at the AXANAR production is a HUGE TREK fan. We're not only modelers, but readers of TREK novels, RPGers, etc. We grew up collecting everything...not only officially licensed products, but also garage kits, garage blueprints, fan-produced TREK tech manuals and 'zines, etc.

As industry professionals, it's our desire to bring back what drove our fandom when we were young and first discovered Trek...namely, connecting with other fans through not only their enthusiasm, but their own work as well, which is exactly why we're all here on the Hobbytalk boards in the first place.

Instead of publishing a magazine or tech manual, we decided, as others before us have, to actually make an independent TREK production, but with the polished sheen of a Hollywood Studio Feature.

In addition to the film itself, we also set out to make all the supporting merchandise we as fans want to see...including model kits, apparel, literary tie-ins, etc.

We made the AXANAR models simply because we thought they were cool. We hope they're taken in the spirt they were intended.

To that end...here's the most recent AXANAR podcast, an interview with Starcraft Models' own Dennis St. Pierre:

http://www.trek.fm/axp/

·
Oxidation Genius
31,055 Posts
They ARE cool. And I'd sure love to buy one without there being a ransom, or a cover charge, or whatever.

But best of luck on the film. It looks great so far.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I Couldn't Figure It Out.....

I signed up and went to donate so I could get the models and the only thing I saw were some DVD's or something. I didn't even see the models listed. :confused:

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I signed up and went to donate so I could get the models and the only thing I saw were some DVD's or something. I didn't even see the models listed. :confused:
You need to donate first. Afterward, you will be given a password to access the store with the models and such. You then pay for the models by making further donations to the production. A certain donation amount will qualify you to receive the model as a perk.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think somebody at Starship Modeler said $10 will do it.
From what I've read $10 or so gets you into the site where you can then donate more to get the model, can't remember the level needed to get the model but it was somewhere around $80 or $100 because I remember thinking I wasn't interested in it any more when it was going to cost more than $100 total.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
They ARE cool. And I'd sure love to buy one without there being a ransom, or a cover charge, or whatever.

But best of luck on the film. It looks great so far.
Its all legalize on their part.

But a mental hurdle on your part?

What would the total cost be?

Big question is...... would someone be willing to pay the final price.

Who knows what Axanar might become.

If the original Star Trek were run this way (not knowing what it would eventually become) would people avoid it, just because of what they consider a ploy. Then, if enough people like John prevailed, there would have been no Star Trek.
Its an interesting brave new world with things like Kickstarter out there.

Star Trek originally got made because it was financed by a studio.
And eventually canceled by a studio, because it didn't meet their profit model.

Today, individuals can donate to projects that they think are interesting, and maybe in a few cases, something great might come from it.

Axanar is interesting because of how high a profile its participants are. Things like this have the potential to change the way movies are made.
Creative endeavors, launched by people who love the subject, and will likely do a better job, than a studio project, that is run......... well, the way the JJ Trek films have been run.

All it takes, is a little vision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOW!
This thread was started almost a year ago.
Has anyone gotten the Axanar's Klingon D6?
I've got the Ares, but trying to find the D6?
Anyone has a link or are they out of the kit?

Rio
<*>

·
Registered
1 Posts
The D6 and the Korolev are available I just received mine. For your info, the donation level starts at 10 dollars (and up) to be able to access the donation store. This whole thread about having to pay extra to buy a kit is funny to me as most people blow 10 bucks on coffee/snacks a day....but to each his own.
I will enjoy my building time...Sometimes when I visit this board people ruin it with complaints instead of enjoying the time we have doing what we should be doing...go out and build a model!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Axanar is interesting because of how high a profile its participants are. Things like this have the potential to change the way movies are made.
Creative endeavors, launched by people who love the subject, and will likely do a better job, than a studio project, that is run......... well, the way the JJ Trek films have been run.

All it takes, is a little vision.
Umm, ahhh, well... maybe, maybe not.
We all remember Star Trek Renegades, and the discussion about that. That also had many high profile people involved, launched by people that LOVE the subject, but ultimately (and YES, this is MY opinion) did NOT do a better job.
My only hope is that after Renegades was released, Star Trek Axanar paused for a moment and took a very critical look at what they're making. If Axanar is another dud like Renegades, then fan-sourced Trek films could find themselves floundering afterward. If two high profile fan films with well respected participants were to flop, then even the most die hard trek fan will really have to think about whether or not to "invest" more money in another fan film.
Personally, if I were to spend my hard earned dough on a Trek project it would be something like Star Trek Aurora. A VERY different take on Trek, done on a shoe-string budget by just one guy. He would probably REALLY appreciate the additional monies, and the money would go a lot farther (ie: do more good) than it would on a much larger production with professional actors, SFX guys, directors, etc.
Perhaps someone can make "The Many Adventures of Harry Mudd"?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Star Trek Aurora was excellent- seeing the familiar universe from a totally different point of view.
Axanar has great potential and I hope it does as well. Fan films have come a long way technically- the problem at times seems to be not the cast, sets or SFX but integrating everything with a well directed story. ST-Renegades had some problems in this regard but they are still forging ahead and hopefully the next installment will be better.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Well, we'll see how this turns out. If nothing else, it will probably keep the project tied up in red tape for a long time-if not kill it completely.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts