Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,

STUNNING resin kit of the USS ARES as seen the indie STAR TREK short PRELUDE TO AXANAR...and soon to be seen in the Feature Film of the same name.

Razor-crisp casting and perfect for lighting...it's ONLY available in the AXANAR DONOR'S STORE...and will soon by joined by the Klingon D6 and the rest of the ships from the film. The kits are absolutely designed with lighting in mind.

One thing though...you can't "buy" any of the AXANAR kits...they are only available to DONORS of the project. All the information can be found at the link...

http://www.startrekaxanar.com

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree with John. A purchase of the model only is still in support of the project in some sense no?
And I disagree with both of you. I don't see how purchasing the model alone is support the project.

I don't see how this is a ploy. Support them or not, it's your call.

How does this sound (true for me) --- 'I want to support them but don't want the model... Guess I won't support them?'

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I believe that you have to make a donation for the film first. Then, once you are a registered donor, then you have access to the store where you can purchase (or make another donation for) the resin kit.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,055 Posts
And I disagree with both of you. I don't see how purchasing the model alone is support the project.
I don't have any desire to support the [project, I just want the model.

I don't see how this is a ploy. Support them or not, it's your call.
It's a marketing ploy. Or gimmick. Or whatever. It's a GOOD marketing ploy, but not one I care to take part in. And that leaves me no option to get the model, which under normal circumstances would be a click away in the SSM store.

How does this sound (true for me) --- 'I want to support them but don't want the model... Guess I won't support them?'
That makes no sense - you have the option of supporting them without buying the model. We don't have the option of buying the model without supporting them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't have any desire to support the [project, I just want the model.

It's a marketing ploy. Or gimmick. Or whatever. It's a GOOD marketing ploy, but not one I care to take part in. And that leaves me no option to get the model, which under normal circumstances would be a click away in the SSM store.

That makes no sense - you have the option of supporting them without buying the model. We don't have the option of buying the model without supporting them.
Just buy the model from someone like me after we donate (and I guess optionally purchase).

I'll sell it to you for $300.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately...

Folks,

The Ares model kits are directly affiliated with a unlicensed TREK production, so they can't be sold, because no profits can be made from such a production, hence it's a donation perk.

There will be a number of kits coming from AXANAR, including the beautiful Klingon D6. They're tremendous kits...beautifully made and lovingly designed.

The ships were first seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

·
Oxidation Genius
31,055 Posts
How would that be different than selling unlicensed starship models thru Starship Modeler, Cult, Federation Models, etc? I've bought a ton of unlicensed star Trek models from garage kit dealers. Unlicensed is unlicensed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
How would that be different than selling unlicensed starship models thru Starship Modeler, Cult, Federation Models, etc? I've bought a ton of unlicensed star Trek models from garage kit dealers. Unlicensed is unlicensed.
My obvious thought is Paramount isn't going to C&D someone who has a few garage kits like Nomad, etc. even if they are bringing in some good side income.

But AXANAR is very visible. You take the good with the bad.

Besides, didn't someone (maybe it was the president of Sony) state "if you buy unlicensed models, you're supporting terrorism".

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The difference is they have to be much more careful than a garage kit maker, if they do get a C&D it would kill everything they are doing. They are not going to jeopardize their movie by selling a model, the movie is their goal, not making models.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,055 Posts
I'm saying the production doesn't even have to be associated with the model kits. Starcrafts sells unlicensed Trek models, canon & non-canon, online via various vendors. Sell these too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Over on Starshipmodeler, I questioned how the producers of Axanar can licence kits to Starcrafts for production, when Axanar has no licence from CBS/Paramount. Couldn't any garage kit maker make these kits? Someone claiming to be one of the Axanar lawyers told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that it was all legit. That slap down certainly turned me off this whole production. I think the Axanar producers are wandering into a very grey legal area, and hence their offer to give you a model if you support their non-profit production, rather than just sell it to you. But really, you can call it whatever you want if it gives you heartburn. Pay $X, and they will send you a model.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Over on Starshipmodeler, I questioned how the producers of Axanar can licence kits to Starcrafts for production, when Axanar has no licence from CBS/Paramount. Couldn't any garage kit maker make these kits? Someone claiming to be one of the Axanar lawyers told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that it was all legit. That slap down certainly turned me off this whole production.
I am also one of the attorneys representing Axanar and can confirm you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually, I slept in a Holiday Inn a few times and I've watched every Perry Mason episode. I hope the person responding to you was just as legit as me (though I have no dog in this fight). You raise a valid point but I personally would love for the production to come to fruition as I believe it only helps the material overall.

But really, you can call whatever you want if it gives you heartburn. Pay , and they will send you a model.
Agreed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts