Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will this kit feature the drooping nacelles?:freak:

I'm not really sure why this kit was chosen as the next one down the road.
Trying to second guess the PL logic train, I would have thought that the first priority would be to get as many different subjects out before duplicating the subjects in differant scales.
So now the 1/350 NX-01 and the 1/1000 NX-01 are kind of going to be competing against each other. Now with a smaller cheaper kit available someone
(average joe shopper) might opt for the snap instead of droping the green on the big one.
I seriously thought that the next 1/1000 kit would have been either the 'D' or the 'E'. Covering as many different Enterprises as quickly as possible.
Actually I hope because of the size of these two subjects, they will be given the glue kit treatment rather than the snap effect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My guess would be they want to offer more choices. The 1/1000 scale version will target a much larger customer base, including younger or less experienced modelers where the 1/350 scale version is clearly intended for the builders with more advanced skills and perhaps those with deaper pockets. It just provides an opportunity for people to build a quality kit of a potentially popular subject who might otherwise opt out due to lack of skill or funds.

Personally, I think PL should release as many kits in both scales as is practical. Obviously, we're not likely to see the big guns like Enterprises C though E in 1/350th but there are plenty of other ships that could be done in both scales. I, for one, will buy them all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think it's That bad an idea. As has been mentioned the 1/350 and 1/1000 are really aimed at different levels of the modeling field.
I, for one, have a 350 on the way and will be ordering 2 or 3 1000 for kitbashing purposes (and to support PL). I'm on a relatively tight budget, so the 1000 will also serve as basis for some of my redesign ideas. :)
I think that almost everybody who picked up a 350 will pick up a 1000 (or two, or... ;) ) for kitbashing and parts. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Tvrtko

·
Registered
885 Posts
Perhaps ERTL still has the rights to the other subjects.

The refit and original enterprise are pretty old now - maybe they're out of license?

Perhaps PL are milking the rights they have.

Although, there's better subjects other than the Nemesis scorpian! I'd bet that one of those blocky shuttle pods from the early tng would sell better.

Just my IMO,

Mike

·
Registered
642 Posts
The 1/1000 scale would also be good for those of us with limited display space.

I've got the 1/350 but i haven't built it for that very reason

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Bay7 said:
Perhaps ERTL still has the rights to the other subjects.
Nope, Ertl let their ST license lapse completely, shortly before RC2 bought the company.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think the easy answer is that they (PL) already have a prototype NX-01, the CAD files and everything to reduce it in the smaller scale.

·
Registered
466 Posts
heiki said:
I think the easy answer is that they (PL) already have a prototype NX-01, the CAD files and everything to reduce it in the smaller scale.
And conversely, the same could be said in that they have a 1/1000 TOS E design that could probably be scaled up and refined as needed, giving the mass market the 1/350 ship *most* likely to sell like crazy; it's THE ship everybody knows.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Yes, the research all exists to create a correctly-shaped ship, but patterning a model from that requires starting over completely for such vastly different sizes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe they want to start the Enterprises in 1/1000 in order with the exception of the TOS one. Personally I think the kit bashing possibilities of combining both the TOS and NX ships are pretty intreaging.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Maybe this is their start into capitalizing on Enterprise. You start with the Enterprise (NX-01) in 1000 scale. Next is Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan, Andorian....etc. I myself you like to see all the Enterprises done in 1000 scale but I guess that we will have to wait till later in 05 or 06 to see what the trend in 1000 scale will be.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I personally am excited about a 1/1000th NX-01. I bought two of the 1/350th kits, but am too intimidated to start one. Also, this new season of Enterprise is supposed to "get back to Star Trek's roots", according to some interviews I've seen lately. Shatner will be guest-starring in a episode AS KIRK! (No doubt, another time-travel episode...I wonder if he'll try to bed T'Pol?) ;)

Brent Spiner is also slated to guest-star, as the ancestor of Noonian Soong, Data's "father". It'll be good to see Brent again in a Star Trek venue. I was NOT happy to see him die in Nemesis, and B-4 will have to go a long way to BE Data. (Assuming they ever make another Next Generation movie again!) :drunk:

Larry

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think PL is looking to capitalize on the nostalgia market AND the current market, hence the 1/1000 offering of a new subject; both of their Trek 1/1000 offerings so far were nostalgic, and there aren't a whole lot of casual folks who'd plunk down $40-$60 to buy a 200+ part kit, even if they are Enterprise fans. However, $10 for a snap kit is a different story. Lotsa model builders don't like the ship or don't like the show, but there are people out there who do like the ship/show who aren't necessarily model builders, but may decide to do an easy kit.

Personally, the 1/1000 NX was on my wish list; the only two other "must-haves" on my list are a 1/1000 Refit and a 1/350 TOS E.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
There is a short article in the current TV GUIDE which says that Shatner is negotiating to appear in two episodes, but it isn't certain whether he'll play Kirk or not and they're running into problems with his salary demands.

I was skeptical about the Brent Spiner appearance, but the more I read about it, the connection between his character and Dr. Soong seems to be nothing more than an attempt to explain their similar appearance. It looks like the character could be played by someone else, just by changing his last name. As I said when this was first announced, what exactly is the point? It's not like the STAR TREK series have never cast the same actor in two (or more) different parts. Did they try to explain why Troi's mother looked like Nurse Chapel? Or Number One for that matter?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
James Henderson said:
Troi's mother looked like Number One?
In the TOS pilot "The Cage" she was reffered to as "Number One". She was the second in command, not as Nurse Chapel. That is where the term was originally used in Star Trek, not in TNG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts